Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #21  
I have a Stihl 310. Seems heavy to me. With a skip tooth full chisel it cuts pretty good for my amateur use. The 362 on the comparison chart show 1.34 pounds lighter and .4 more HP. I use the Stihl light bars. When I got that 310 from the pawn shop is had some sort of Stihl heavy solid bar that was quite heavy. I think the light bar was a pound lighter.

By the way I am 61 and do not work outside enough. Carrying the 311 around always makes me want a 362. Then as little as I use that 311 I come to my senses wanting the 362. I use my tiny 210 for most things when I can as it is 4 pounds lighter. Of course less HP than the 311 and it cannot do those 24" deadfalls as quickly as the 310.

No idea about correct saw for milling.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #22  
Note that the current Farm Boss is a 271, 311 and 391. All with different HP.

• Good Post
   / Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #23  
60cc professional grade Husqvarna or Stihl with a full chisel chain. I actually prefer not going overboard on bar length, so 16" -18"bar, 20" if you must.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #24  
What kind of sawmill?

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.
What kind of sawmill?
I guess I should have clarified. Not a chainsaw mill. I ordered a Woodland Mills HM126 band saw mill on a trailer.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.
Note that the current Farm Boss is a 271, 311 and 391. All with different HP.
I honestly don't remember which one mine is and I'm not at the cabin to look and see. Probably the 271. But it is 4 years old so the models may have changed.

On a side note, it appears there is only one type of chain that will fit my Farm Boss and it is an anti-kickback chain. Both Stihl and Oregon list all of their non anti-kickback blades for that saw as no longer available. It is 0.325 pitch, 0.063 gauge with 81 links. But I know nothing about the various chain types. Maybe you can get different chains by going with a different bar and/or sprocket???

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #27  
When I was young and in my prime - I fell the pines on the property here for firewood. I had a large Stihl - 24" bar and a small Stihl for limbing. I fell ancient Ponderosa pines up to and including 38". Soon learned that trees this big were just a real PITA to handle. Cut the smaller pines for firewood and had some of the larger pines selectively logged off.

We really enjoyed those years - heating with firewood. We didn't enjoy all the bugs, dirt and volcanic ash that the firewood brought into the house. Went to pellets and now electric heat.

My suggestion - mark the trees that you will be able to reasonably "mill" in a given time period. 3 months - 6 months - a year. Whatever works for you. Have your son come out and fell them. Then with a smaller saw - you can limb - cut to length - haul to your new mill - etc, etc. Divide and conquer.

Last edited:
   / Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #28  
Light weight and power dont really go that well together. The engine is most of the weight on a saw. You can get “light” versions of the bar which I do recommend. I am a stihl guy myself, but husqvarna is a solid choice. For bucking you will still want to stay with 2 cycle engines. For that bar length look at 60cc+. I have a 25 on my 362, its about as long as I would go on that saw. I would also recommend a pro saw, as they have a better power to weight ratio. The 500i is a great choice if you have the $$$.

The only pro saw I can speak for is my Husquvarna. It's easier to work on than the homeowner models I have.

• Good Post
   / Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #29  
The only pro saw I can speak for is my Husquvarna. It's easier to work on than the homeowner models I have.

I can’t think of a single advantage of a homeowner saw vs a pro saw other than cost. Claiming otherwise is just a justification for not having one.

• Good Post
   / Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #30  
I'm older than you and run an MS661. Not a problem. It was on sale at my dealer 5 years ago for $960, 28" bar. Couldn't pass it up. Big brother to my O64. Bought it on sale for $600, 25" bar.

Last edited:
  • Good Post