Need a longer bar... so need a different saw

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #11  
I found a chain left by one of my rental tenants that fit my saw but was for a 22" bar. They dont make a 22" bar for my Stihl 025's, so I made my own. Used 2 old bars, cut them and welded them together at the correct lenth for the chain, now I have a 22" bar that can be used in the rare occasion I need on longer than 16". Ive used it once, otherwise it hangs on a nail in the barn, gets a shot of oil once in a while to keep it from rusting.

How big diameter is the log you're cutting? Like others have said, 16" bar will cut 32", you just gotta go at it from both sides so the tip of the bar meets in the middle.

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #12  
Are there any chainsaw shops (not box stores but a real chainsaw shop) near you? There's two within a half hour. Both of which I have gone to and talked with the sales and parts guys. You could go to one and ask if they either know of a guy or have a place where you could put up a flier looking for someone to cut the trees. Maybe you could find someone who didn't mind doing it on a day off. Not knowing the details (like diameter and how easy it would be to drop them without doing damage) it would be up to you to decide if a person seams qualified as chances are they aren't going to have insurance.

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #13  
[video]https://goo.gl/images/1TpjUJ[/video]

Drill vertical holes across the log and then drill horizontal holes through the vertical holes for air. Takes time but does not require a new saw. Make a proper video and post on YouTube.

Slots with the saw should also work.

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #14  
What is the diameter of these trees?

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #15  
I've definitely thought about hiring it out, and I would be very happy if I could do so. But the cost of an 'arborist' is far too expensive. Any advice on hiring 'a tree guy' that isn't a big business? The arborist I used ONCE cost $600 to remove a broken limb which I could not reach, but was overhanging a road. If it's cut up, I can manage the pieces. Or he can take what he wants...

Around here, you just ask one of the guys that are mowing lawns for a living. I would be surprised if they wanted more then a hundred bucks to do what you want done. I was working on a fence project for a client last week and he asked me what I wanted to remove a huge patch of cactus that was blocking access to the side of his house. It's probably 20 feet wide and 50 feet long. I said that I would rent a mini excavator and the cost would be based on my time and the rental. Then he asked the guy mowing his neighbors house what he would charge to dig it out and haul it off. He said $120. It's a no brainer, pay the lawn guy to do it and save money.

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #16  
Post on CL to hire someone. When I cut firewood on a regular basis I ended up buying a used Stihl 660 magnum, I put a 25in .404 bar on it and double dawgs. It’s a really sweet saw.

When I was in a pawn shop one day I came across a Stihl 460 with a shot bar and a new 192TC saw, I called a buddy to see what they were worth, he said buy them both, he wanted the 460 and I wanted the 192TC, got them both for $300 and sold the 460 for $200.

I love my 192TC for anything under 12in, above that the 660 comes out and eats wood.

My point is, I have these saws sitting around, if I saw a post on CL to cut up two trees for $150, I would be over to cut them up, my saws don’t see much use these days, I like to cut up good size trees at least twice a year if I’m not cutting wood.

A CL person wouldn’t be insured though, just a good ol boy with a saw lol.

If you want to use your saw, you could prob get away with a 24in bar on a skip chisel chain.

Also my 25in bar has cut all the trees I have had to in Ohio. There is trees out there that need bigger than 25in but I haven’t found one yet. We have big mature hardwoods (oak, poplar, cherry, beech, Birch etc) and pine (Canadian hemlock, western pine, white pine etc.). We get some big old trees here. But here they get so big and fall over, usually less than 150ft tall and 50in at the base before they are too heavy.

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #17  
Having a bigger saw is great if you cut any firewood. I recently bought a stihl ms460 on ebay for $430. It needed a $12 oil pump. I have 20, 25 and 28in bars for it. Mostly keep the 25in full comp on.

I also have a ms193t and ms290. The 193t is great for trail maintenance and cutting up small limbs quick. The top handle is really nice for cutting and throwing things too.