Need a longer bar... so need a different saw

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I have a great general farm Stihl 251C 16" saw which, up to this point, has always done what I needed.

However, I have 2 large trees which are simply too much for it and I need to do something else.

There are not a lot of trees on my property, so this isn't for logging or big long term need. In fact, If I knew where I could simply rent a saw for the weekend, I'd likely go that route. But I need something which will handle a bar of at least 28-30" if not a little more. These trees are on the ground, but need to be cut up in a more manageable fashion for movement and/or disposal. My saw will limb some, but there is no way it would take a big enough bite out of the trunk to do any real good. I guess, unless I cut notches then cut more and more, now that I think of it. But, in all reality, I don't want to overtax my little saw when it will do almost everything else I need on the property.Especially, when I really need something with more heft.

So, I'm looking for information on how to purchase a 'bigger' used saw or find a rental who might be likely to have one available. The local rentals have a 24" which would certainly be better than my 16", however, it still would not do the job well.

I'd like to find a rental or a good used saw. I know the big saws are expensive, and even a used one might be more than I'd really like to spend... but it will certainly be less than the cost of hiring an arborist. Any other thoughts are welcome as well.

Lexington KY area

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #2  
For just two trees, and never needing it again, I would look at hiring a tree guy to come over and do it for you. Last guy that I hired had half a dozen saws in his truck, from crazy long to tiny. I paid him $200 and he had a pine with a 4 foot trunk on the ground in two hours exactly where I wanted it.

I've never seen a used chainsaw that was worth buying. I cant imagine of any other engine that is more abused then a chainsaw.

If you did buy new, have you priced what a new chain would cost for a saw that big?

By the time you buy the used saw, get it into running condition and put a new chain on it, you could hire somebody to do it for you.

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #3  
These “repair”’kits are an entire new saw. I have had and have heard of zero issues with them. A logger turned me on to them. If you have an afternoon and don’t want to rent this would be a good option-

https://m.huztl.net/cateList-2971.html

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #4  
A 28-30" bar is pretty large. You can cut a tree up to 2x the actual bar length minus a few inches for slop and irregularity of the tree cross section (depends on species). A peavey or cant hook to roll the log helps. Stihl nominal bar lengths are often an inch or two longer than the actual length.

I got a decent used Stihl 460 from a seller on AS. Look for a compression test. It needed a few small things like a new clutch drum and a good cleaning but it's cut some big stuff for me.

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #5  
These “repair”’kits are an entire new saw. I have had and have heard of zero issues with them. A logger turned me on to them. If you have an afternoon and don’t want to rent this would be a good option-

Holzfforma Chainsaw | Stihl Chainsaw Parts | Holzfforma Farmertec Huztl Official Store

Unless you like the challenge of assembling a saw from parts, buy the blue pre assembled one. I had to do a bit of tuning of the parts on my MS660 kit. It's idling really high so I have to check for air leaks. The assembled ones seem to be pretty good from reports.

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw
I've definitely thought about hiring it out, and I would be very happy if I could do so. But the cost of an 'arborist' is far too expensive. Any advice on hiring 'a tree guy' that isn't a big business? The arborist I used ONCE cost $600 to remove a broken limb which I could not reach, but was overhanging a road. If it's cut up, I can manage the pieces. Or he can take what he wants...

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #7  
You could get the local rental 24" and buy a 28"-30" bar and chain for it. This still might be cheaper than buying a saw or hiring it done.

I had "one big tree" and I put a ~28" bar (don't remember exactly) on a 57cc saw just to saw up the trunk. I probably wouldn't do this with your 45cc saw.

I'd pull it out of the cut often when cutting through large trunk and test bar temperature with the back of my hand or run it with no load often to make sure the bar was getting oil from the now undersized oiler, and to make sure saw wasn't getting too hot from doing extra work with a big chain.

The 57cc didn't set any speed records on sawing it up, but who cares, my muscles and wallet didn't hurt as much the next day.

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #8  
Rental places don't have the professional saws due to the casualty rate in the rental market. a 24" saw at Lowe's is under $500. A 30" professional Stihl or Husqavarna costs upwards of $1500. Around here there are rental places that cater to the logger trade that have the bigger saws. They are in the sales and repair business also.
Cody has a great idea. Just don't tell the rental,place what you did when you return it not working well. :thumbdown:

Ron

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #9  
Sponsor a chainsawing contest with a $100 prize. :)

Bruce

/ Need a longer bar... so need a different saw #10  
A 28-30" bar is pretty large. You can cut a tree up to 2x the actual bar length minus a few inches for slop and irregularity of the tree cross section (depends on species). A peavey or cant hook to roll the log helps.

Get the 24 rental. Cut it, roll it, cut it. Repeat if needed.

A 24" saw should cut a 40" diameter that way.

You don't mention the diameter, length or how many cuts you way to make though.