Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice

/ Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice #22  
Gary Fowler, I do not know why you would have been getting quotes around 400.00 for the shipping of a tiller from AL to AR. I would have been happy to review that shipping quote.

There is a shipping charge button on each of the product detail pages that can be used to calculate product shipping costs. Did you add the item to the shopping cart and then tried to get a shipping costs on the check out page.?

Thanks
That is exactly what I did on all of the internet sites that I visited and IIRC the shipping rate varied from $269-$396 depending on location and company. One of the reasons, at least for me, internet shopping is so I don't have to waste time calling each dealer. If the site is wrong, why not fix it rather than "call me for a real quote" type of issue. I don't call up the quys advertising anywhere that say "Call for a Quote", if they wont give a firm $$ on a website, then they likely wont give one in person either.

I have to say that McGee Farm Equipment does seem to have the best prices on the net prior to figuring in shipping cost. Most prices I found were within about $100 of each other when comparing apples to apples. Some of the totally Chinese manufacturers brands came in a few hundred cheaper but was not worth risking the possibly lesser quality to chance buying one sight unseen. I don't plan to use mine for commercial use and my little small garden wont ever pay back the cost, but I wanted one that I could use my tractor with and not the walk behind that I sold last summer. Even the rear tined with front drive wheels like I sold gave me more work out than I wanted.

/ Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice #23  
So I think I have narrowed it down. What do you guys think between these?? The most expensive is the chain drive.

I need this for gardening, food plots, and wildflower plots. I have heavy thick clay.

King Kutter - RTG-72
Counter Rotating Tines, Gear drive, 721#, $2,000

Land Pride - RTR2072
Counter Rotating Tines, Chain Drive, 795#, $4,000

Mohawk - RT72
Forward Rotating, Gear Drive, 750# $2300

The King Kutter I can buy online from a site here. It looks like it has more flanges, its gear driven, but is it considered their 'low end' model? Its awfully cheap compared to the landpride.

Check out the Woods tillers.

I'm very happy with my Woods TCR68. Photos from a couple days ago:

Tiller3.jpgTiller2.jpgTiller1.jpg

/ Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice
Only problem is that im running a 50HP PTO....the TCR74 is rated up to 45. I dont know if that would work well or void warranty and break things.

/ Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice #25  
So I think I have narrowed it down. What do you guys think between these?? The most expensive is the chain drive.

I need this for gardening, food plots, and wildflower plots. I have heavy thick clay.

King Kutter - RTG-72
Counter Rotating Tines, Gear drive, 721#, $2,000

Land Pride - RTR2072
Counter Rotating Tines, Chain Drive, 795#, $4,000

Mohawk - RT72
Forward Rotating, Gear Drive, 750# $2300

The King Kutter I can buy online from a site here. It looks like it has more flanges, its gear driven, but is it considered their 'low end' model? Its awfully cheap compared to the landpride.
I had to look again at tiller prices on your $4000 quote on the Landpride. I couldn't find any thing land pride made more than $2400 for 72" reverse tine tiller on any online site. Most 7 foot tillers I found run about $2000 + or - regardless of brand with Chinese brand names being exception and run about $500 cheaper in most instances. I didn't price the Italian made ones as no one here around me handles them but I expect them to be a bit higher priced than American made one.
Your statement about Landpride being better quality I don't understand nor the chain drive issue being higher priced. I didn't find gear vs chain to be of any consequence in pricing nor quality of product. What I did find is 6 tines per flange vs 4 tines per flange to be an indication of better quality, at least in my eyes. Some brands offer both 4 and 6 tines per flange although I find no rational reason why they do that except to give the buyer more choices and more data to confuse him. Gear box ratings seem to vary a lot with different brands also and may be a consideration in buying, but with slip clutch protection, you aren't likely to damage the gear box even if your tractor has more HP than the gear box rating.

EDIT: Ok I finally found the RTR 2072 that you priced for $4000 and you aren't pricing apples to apples when comparing it to other brands of non-side shifting. This tiller is the type that has hydraulic side shift capability which is why it is so much more money. DO you need this type of tiller or did you just price it by mistake

Last edited:
   / Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice
Its a hitch side shift, just like all of the others. I don't understand the pricing. 4750 is the MSRP according to Landpride themselves. I called them.

As for Landpride quality, I don't know. Im only going on inferences of myself and the landpride technical folks I spoke to. One thing I can see if that the King Kutter has some sort of cheesy rubber shield on the front, where the landpride has a solid metal shield. I cannot figure why its 2000 more than any other similar spec tiller though.

I dont WANT to spend that much, but I have never had a single experience with my equipment where I spent 'too much' and it didn't reward me with longevity.

Last edited:
   / Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice #27  
JDuke did you ever decide on a tiller?