Traction Near death experience!

/ Near death experience! #31  
k0ua said:
Well, glad you and the tractor are all OK, but I bet you check that 4wd lever next time huh? I know I do..:eek:

James K0UA

Don"t even have my first tractor yet but learn something new every day on this site. I will be using a Ford 5000 most likely which is 2wd.
John WA0ASU

/ Near death experience! #32  
Don"t even have my first tractor yet but learn something new every day on this site. I will be using a Ford 5000 most likely which is 2wd.
John WA0ASU

Well John all I can say is just be careful when going down steep/slick hills especially when loaded heavy. I was in 2nd gear on my little Kubota B7500 going pretty slow when the compression braking of the engine was holding back the rear tires , but the traction of those tires would not support going that slow, and they broke traction and off she went down the hill scrubbing the tires and picking up speed! Wee-Haw! Be careful, and be well
James K0UA

/ Near death experience! #33  
And I as well after a story my brother told me about his experience early on.

And I also learned early that you need to chock the front wheels of your truck (and your trailer) if you're loading the tractor onto a trailer - it's not much fun rolling down the driveway when the tractor is half on the back of the trailer and the back end of the truck has risen enough to not have enough traction left to do any good.

My neighbor did this with a borrowed truck and trailer, loading the 3020 JD he just bought Truck and trailer jack-knifed, and caved in the side of the truck. Luckily, he was not hurt.

But then, could not understand why the guy got so upset with him wrecking his truck and trailer... His reasoning..., "He had insurance..."

Oh yeah... The truck was a 3 month old Ford Dually Diesel, deluxe model, and matching 3 mo. old gooseneck trailer... Go figure... :confused2:

/ Near death experience! #34  
KenPauling said:
...This was a bad day all around. I was going down the hill to dig a grave for my family dog that just died.

So sorry - my guess is that's part of the distraction. That really stinks.