Traction Near death experience!

/ Near death experience! #1  

KenPauling

Silver Member
Tractor
Now Holland TN 65D with Cab
Needed to take out my TN 65D(4 wheel drive) yesterday to do some field work and had to go down a grassy slope behind the house. I didn't think to put it in 4 WD since I was going downhill. As soon as I started, my tractor started to accelerate! I pushed on my brakes which are very good and it started to go sideways but I was able to straighten it out after a few seconds. ! The tractor continued to accelerate down the hill! I have a front loader on and an HD 8 foot rear blade so the tractor weights over 10,000 LBS! For about 10 seconds(it seemed like much longer) I was out of control! The warm weather we had been having had softened up the top couple of inches of sod and soil but under neath was frozen solid! It was like I was sliding on 2 inches of grease! Fortunately for me, my backblade was low enough that it caught on the ground when the slope changed. I never keep the loader or blade any higher than needed for clearance when on any kind of a slope or hill. This saved me! A good friend of mine had his dad killed on a slope when he had his loader too high and his tractor rolled over. I was able to put my tractor in 4wd when I was done working in the lower field and backed up the hill without slipping a wheel! Lessons learned- 1) use 4 wd drive if you have it when going down a hill- its likely to hold you back much better than 2 wheel braking! 2) be very carefull going down a hill during warm weather in winter. Keep your backblade low and ready to lower more if you lose traction!

/ Near death experience! #2  
Glad it worked out. Sounds scary! Having the front axle engaged makes all the difference.

MarkV

/ Near death experience! #3  
Breaking traction can give pucker power..known fact.

Some of yesterday iron tractors what we use to do loss of traction,give the engine quick shot of throttle than play the breaks...Farmall H w/no attachment.

/ Near death experience! #4  
Thats why I leave my tractor in 4WD all the time.

/ Near death experience! #5  
topsoil can get awfully greasy this time of year with a little warmth.

/ Near death experience! #7  
Should have dropped the rear blade as an anchor.

/ Near death experience! #8  
Had a similar scary thing happen on my little tractor this fall. With the uneven and hilly ground here, I seldom take the machine out of 4wd, and was doing some minor road repairs on our ROW - spreading gravel and such, and had taken it out of 4wd. Of course I knew there are no brakes on the front wheels, but never really thought about it much, and did something similar on the hill where there was some loose gravel.. Kind of a "cup of coffee" wake up without having to perk, though I suspect less frightening than your experience - scary enough..

/ Near death experience!
I was saved by my rear blade! It caught dirt when I got to the bottom of the steepest part of the hill. Good thing I had the blade very low going down the hill. I didn't have time to think about dropping the blade during the slide I was busy trying to break and keep the tractor going straight so as not to tip sideways!. Next time will not happen! This was a bad day all around. I was going down the hill to dig a grave for my family dog that just died. I was lucky my wife didn't have to throw both of us in the same hole!

/ Near death experience! #10  
Yep pretty scary isn't it? I have gotten in the habit of staying almost always in 4wd after my "wake up call" I had been transporting large gravel all day, on the same path, in 4WD and on one pass decided because of the sharpness of the turn out on the road to put it into 2wd to make the turn without scrubbing the front tires and did not put it back in 4wd when I straightned up. Boy what a mistake..You can bet the rest of the day it stayed in 4WD:eek::eek: Glad you and your tractor are all OK.

James K0UA