My welding project.

/ My welding project.
Thanks Guys!! There was a method to madness here. I have a piece of drag harrow that I use on yards. My theory (untested so far) was to be able to attach a chain from each hook to the front corners and then attach another chain from the top loop to the rear corners thus being able to pick the harrow up and be able to place it in those hard to reach place as well as transport it......what do you think? Other than the pins, hooks and loop the metal was laying in the shop so the total cost was very reasonable.....less than $15.00.....Sorry Kiotijohn....can't sell this one!!! Sentimental value. My instructor was great and gave me a lot of encouragement. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ My welding project. #12  
Caddison,

You might want to try something like I did, though I think your chain idea would work. I built a multifunction toolbar (not as neat as yours, but its what I had lying around!). To this toolbar, I added some brackets so I can attach the harrow you see in the pic. I can push or pull the harrow, so it works both ways, which is faster. I also can add one or two scarifier teeth to rip a trench.

Someday, I plan to add some more brackets so I can run 5 scarifier teeth to use as a ripper.

Note: The mutifunctional hunk of 2x4 has since been replaced by a metal bracket.

Attachments

• 635049-Harrow.JPG
    635049-Harrow.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 932
   / My welding project. #13  
I like it so much this is my first "favorite thread". Got to build one myself.

/ My welding project.
Ron,

That is a good looking rig....I checked it out when you first posted it a while back. I am inspired to use a rigid hookup for the front and chain to the rear, this should allow me to move in either direction...thanks for the pointer.

/ My welding project. #15  
If you are going to pull anything heavy with that D ring, keep the three point all the way down. it looks a little high, don't want to pull a wheelie... nice welding, Gary

/ My welding project. #16  
I'd have to second what Bully says. It'd be awfully tempting to hook up to that ring for a pull. Personally knowing someone that was killed by a roll over, I'd say don't do it, ever. The problem comes when trying to pull a stump or vehicle. You'll raise the rpms and that sucker will swat you fast. I hate to be preachy here, but man alive, tractors are heavy when they're on your chest!!!! Anything above the plane of the rear axle will pull the tractor around on top of you. If your ring is below this point, the chances are lessened.

By the way, as an outage coordinator that's seen tons and tons of welding, you're doing a great job!

/ My welding project.
Not to worry guys the D-ring was intended for the harrow only. There is another slot cut in the gusset to hook a chain lower to the base. Moving trailers and the harrow is all I intend to use it for. Thanks for the welding compliments.....as soon as the paint dries I'll post the finished product mounted on the DX!!

/ My welding project. #18  
Nice job, gives me an idea to add some grab hooks on the one I built. Benn meaning to reply earlier, some reason I didn't tho. Are you finished with your class yet? Mine ends this week. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ My welding project.
John,

My last class was last Thursday. We were meeting twice a week for 5 weeks. I truly enjoyed it! My instructor is planning on having another one next school year. I already told him I would take it again. I invested in a auto darkening helmet, same one the instructor uses. It made a night and day difference in my welding ability. I am at the stage of life where I want the best I can afford, plan on it lasting me the rest of my good 'ol days. Now I need a welder....need a shop to put it in first! This was a great class and the instructor was excellent. I learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. I suggest everyone take a class if possible. I was lucky, ours was only $75.00. What a deal!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ My welding project. #20  
Hey Caddison,

Very well done.

Have you thought of adding a gooseneck ball? Here is my "billy goat," with 2" ball, 2-5/16" ball, pin hitch, and gooseneck ball. The framework used to be a carrier for a drag harrow.

I wish my gooseneck ball was set out 6 or 8 inches to the rear, so the tractor canopy will clear the nose of hoss trailers when turning. Downside is this will reduce lifting capacity somewhat. Them gooseneck hoss trailers is heavy.

Gooseneck flatbeds without the enclosed front are not a problem because there is nothing there to hit the tractor canopy.
gabby

Attachments

• 637792-BILLY GOAT 001 (320 x 240).jpg
    637792-BILLY GOAT 001 (320 x 240).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 561