My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch...

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
I was in love with her yesterday..... today I'm not so sure.... feels like she dumped me. Parked the L5740 in my shop this afternoon and the puddle of condensation from the AC caught my eye, then "What's that?" Several drops of black oil. Coming from the clutch weep pin. So looks like now we are about to "split", if only temporarily. And let me say this is the first time I thought "Wish I didn't have a cab."

What are some potential causes of a rear engine seal failure? Bad luck? Or did I offend her?

Tractor has 527 hours, of which 420 are mine.

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #2  
Well look on the bright side. It could be a Jinma with a leak!

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #3  
Still haven't got mine back from the dealer for the same($) problem.
Mine has 1200 hours on it.Nothing you did it just happens.Mine is a cab model also,more labor.

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #4  
Mine has 1200 hours on it.Nothing you did it just happens.Mine is a cab model also,more labor
Awesome you are just a Home Equity Loan away from paying for the repairs!

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch...
Mine has 1200 hours on it.Nothing you did it just happens.Mine is a cab model also,more labor.

Did they give you an idea of how many hours to split and repair? Are they going to replace both the engine and transmission seals while they have it apart?

EDIT: Was yours leaking engine oil or hydraulic fluid?

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #6  
Several yrs back I had to have my M4900 with a cab split to repair sync-shuttle. Cab remained on rear half of tractor while it was split

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #7  
Mine was leaking hydraulic oil,a lot and it happened quick.I was lucky to notice before it ran dry and did a lot of damage.
I have no idea what the repairs are until I get it back.

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #8  
Sure seems like quite a few Grand L40 tractors need to be split for one seal,or the other.
Good Luck!

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #9  
If yours is engine oil it’s rare. If it’s hydraulic oil it’s normal, and costly. Mine was a fairly common fwd shaft seal, first noticed when I was working hard so the oil was thin. Only a slight weep until really working and then it streamed. Loaded it and hauled it to my dealer but I was 3rd in line behind 2 with the same problem I got to see, and take pictures of someone else’s tractor split. I really needed the tractor to get straw baled so I asked the dealer owner to make me an offer I couldn’t refuse. He did, so I went home with a L6060 as a replacement. By the way, before leaving for the dealership I searched here and found several with the same problem. I also read here my L6060 has the same seal arrangement so I keep looking for a puddle. Mine failed at 800 hours and I have more than that on my L6060. For me it was a fortunate happening as my L6060 has been more reliable, outperforms, and is more comfortable operating.

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #10  
My 2002 M9 (with 6000 hours on) it was weeping a bit (few drops every oil change) from the hex plug (mine are hydraulic shuttle so the pin is not needed. Nothing in the bell housing but the damper plate. added a couple ounces of brake fluid to the gearbox hydraulic oil and viola, the leak vanished. Brake fluid will swell a worn seal. Cheap fix. 4 bucks.