My father has fallen and can't get up

/ My father has fallen and can't get up
Concrete day today, 3 yards. I'm beat. finished the water lines yesterday and insulation. Did the vapor barrier and rebar this morning. Boxed out the shower. then the concrete truck came at 2. Quick break, i have a lot of cleanup to do, but i have my helper and he does good work.

Kus2Vva.mp4

com2IuC.jpg

nhHI26S.jpg

jOVZ8Vo.jpg

9blxngf.jpg

Last edited:
Last night I went back and pulled the plastic covering off and put down insulation to keep the heat in while curing. Today pulled all the forms off and cleaned that up so you can at least walk. Ripped the rest of the stucco off the wall so I could get my final measurements, cut the studs and jack studs, bottom and top plates, and headers. Started pulling gutters and fascia down. Working with my arms above my head is exhausting.

Monday I'll pull up the insualtion, and build hte walls, and move the motorhome to block the view from the street so the code nazi won't see if he happens to be driving by. I need to take my compressor over there so i need to take the trailer. I'll get all that ready tomorrow. The rest of today I need to cut and split firewood.

GCbWDfV.jpg

/ My father has fallen and can't get up #44  
Last night I went back and pulled the plastic covering off and put down insulation to keep the heat in while curing. Today pulled all the forms off and cleaned that up so you can at least walk. Ripped the rest of the stucco off the wall so I could get my final measurements, cut the studs and jack studs, bottom and top plates, and headers. Started pulling gutters and fascia down. Working with my arms above my head is exhausting.

Monday I'll pull up the insualtion, and build hte walls, and move the motorhome to block the view from the street so the code nazi won't see if he happens to be driving by. I need to take my compressor over there so i need to take the trailer. I'll get all that ready tomorrow. The rest of today I need to cut and split firewood.

GCbWDfV.jpg
Good looking work. You have more nerve than me if you are investing all that time and money without a permit.

/ My father has fallen and can't get up #46  
I went through all the bathroom, kitchen and access modifications with my mom and dad. Years of getting him off the floor after his stroke and blindness prior to being forced to put him in a facility. Then is was my mom's time. She never made it to an assisted living arrangement. They are both gone now, 2019 and 6 months apart. Some nights I long for the phone to ring to rush over and help one of them back up. Make all of the mods you have to to keep them around as long as you can.

/ My father has fallen and can't get up #47  
I know a guy who’s house is close to the road, house from the horse & buggy days. County would not issue permit to add onto the back side of the house, because house is too close to road. So he just did it anyways.

/ My father has fallen and can't get up #48  
I know a guy who’s house is close to the road, house from the horse & buggy days. County would not issue permit to add onto the back side of the house, because house is too close to road. So he just did it anyways.
I wonder what he would have done if they had condemned his house and revoked his certificate to occupy until the unauthorized addition was removed. Jeez I can visualize some lawyer retiring on such a case.

Condemned houses, or houses the occupy Certificate has been revoked on has the electrical, water and sewer service suspended. I know the water and sewer only applies to a city resident but it also applies to a county resident. Because without electricity a person has no power to power the well pump which mean no water to flush the commode.

Last edited:
   / My father has fallen and can't get up #49  
Good for him. While some inspection and regulation may be needed to prevent shoddy workmanship many of these inspectors are on a power trip and seem to be dedicated to driving up the cost of simple projects. Expecting contractors to stop work and stand around sitting on their thumbs,
home owners to interrupt work and leave things tore apart for a week waiting on them. And then permits are just so called legal thievery and busy body governments trying to keep their thumbs on people.

Good looking work. You have more nerve than me if you are investing all that time and money without a permit.
This would have been a 6 month project just by waiting for inspections had I gone the permit route, and that is just not acceptable to me. He needs it now. In 2 weeks he's going for open heart surgery, as well.

Around here, folks don't bother with permits unless you can see the work from the street, and the permit guy won't go around looking for issues, but if he see's it, he's a total moron about it. He talks in circles and if you ask him a question, he stares blankly at you.