My dog's not doing well

/ My dog's not doing well #161  
. He had built a set of wire tongs that was about 3' that held a plastic cup with just enough pressure not to crush the cup. It was easy peasy getting that pee sample when he had to go.
I've used a ladle for the same thing.

/ My dog's not doing well #162  
It seems so stupid that a person can struggle to say his last goodbyes to a dog, but I could barely even see through all the tears as I tried to give him words of comfort. I think dogs should be required to live longer than their owners. They're so much better at comforting us, then I feel we are at comforting them. Man, what a crappy day. 😢

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, wishes and prayers. I wish the journey and outcome could have been different.
With every name I mentioned in my last post, I felt the exact same way you felt about Mason. Believe me, I've struggled with how I've felt over a loss of a dog.

Needless to say, sorry for your loss.

Just take comfort in knowing what type of life your family gave to Mason.

Reality is pets in general all give us something in our lives. I was somewhat taken aback when my SIL was going to burry her pet ferret in our back yard, but when my wife explained to me what that ferret meant to her, I got it.

I felt Will Rogers said it best "if there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went".

/ My dog's not doing well #163  
Couple weeks ago on one of our oldest dogs, a hound dog about 13 years old, we had to take to the vet that we thought might be our last trip (wasn't eating and started actually to have some cognitive issues the last couple of days). Turns out of all things it was a urinary tract infection. Some pills and a week later, the guy is still old, but pretty much back to his old self.
Time is coming for the hound dog. Thought we were taking him last night for another "last visit" to the emergency vets to put him down.

Picked him up, and he was actually able to walk around outside (last night), thought it might be today.

Seems he can't get up the last two day (long story, always seemed to have a probem with his neck the vet couldn't figure out even with xrays some time ago). This morning, couldn't get up when I was feeding everyone. Getting the car ready to take him in, picked him up to go outside, put him down, he's walking again. Came home from Church today, and he was actually able to get up himself and go outside..

Thing is, he's getting older and losing weight from time to time.

What makes it hard is exactly when to decide he's had a great life as you don't want to rob them of any more time that they might have.

I have the traveling vets number and this dog ALWAYS hated car rides and can get motion sickness. If anything, with him being able to get up and eat at least for today, it at least buys us more time to plan. Sometimes life just plain sucks.

/ My dog's not doing well #164  
With a heavy heart, I just said my last goodbyes to Mason. My wife and daughter are with him at the vet, and after further consult, we made the difficult decision to end his suffering. I thought we might have a glimmer of hope, but it wasn't to be.

It seems so stupid that a person can struggle to say his last goodbyes to a dog, but I could barely even see through all the tears as I tried to give him words of comfort. I think dogs should be required to live longer than their owners. They're so much better at comforting us, then I feel we are at comforting them. Man, what a crappy day. 😢

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, wishes and prayers. I wish the journey and outcome could have been different.
So sorry for your loss! I've had to do that with every one of mine (I'm on my fourth - and he's 12...) so it's just a matter of time for him.

/ My dog's not doing well #165  
Their light goes out so soon because they burn so brightly while they are here. I have a mini dachshund that will turn 18 in January, but she is going down fast. Two years ago she was still chasing rabbits through the brush, but now she can't manage the 6" step at the front door. I'll be sad when she goes, but 18 years is a hell of a run for a dog. She mostly sleeps now. Someday soon she will sleep forever.

/ My dog's not doing well #167  
Both of my previous dogs went to work with me, it wasn't unusual for us to be 3 miles or farther from the truck. One of my biggest fears was that they would get injured and I wouldn't be able to get them out. Ruger had a couple of bad accidents but luckily was able to walk out. The one which he didn't survive happened right next to the truck, and moving him 8 feet without injuring him further was enough of a challenge.

That's going to be a consideration next spring, when I get another dog.

/ My dog's not doing well #168  
Both of my previous dogs went to work with me, it wasn't unusual for us to be 3 miles or farther from the truck. One of my biggest fears was that they would get injured and I wouldn't be able to get them out. Ruger had a couple of bad accidents but luckily was able to walk out. The one which he didn't survive happened right next to the truck, and moving him 8 feet without injuring him further was enough of a challenge.

That's going to be a consideration next spring, when I get another dog.
Thanks to having extensive acreage, my dogs are allowed to explore from puppyhood. They get enough bumps and scrapes that they learn to make good decisions about safety. They stay away from equipment while it is running, but stick around close enough that I usually know where they are. Farm dogs.

/ My dog's not doing well #169  
Thanks to having extensive acreage, my dogs are allowed to explore from puppyhood. They get enough bumps and scrapes that they learn to make good decisions about safety. They stay away from equipment while it is running, but stick around close enough that I usually know where they are. Farm dogs.
Things happen, especially with hunting dogs.
My last was with me as I crawled over a blow down. Just as he jumped his feet slipped, and he was hanging from his hind legs with nothing else touching. If I hadn't been there he would have died where he was. He had both knees rebuilt, my vet said he had never seen any as bad as his.

/ My dog's not doing well #170  
Jstpssng reminds me of a suggestion for those of us who live very remote and way out in the country. My second dog - a lab - had a nice dog collar. One day we were out and about and - by golly - he was nowhere to be seen. I called, called, called until my lungs almost fell out. Finally - I heard him. He was whimpering and howling.

He had become tangled up in old barbed wire. It was wrapped thru his collar and he could not get out. Boy - were we ever GLAD to see each other. His fate would have been told as evening was approaching. The coyotes would have had him for their late dinner.

SO ....... NO MORE collars on any of my dogs. If you are concerned about - lost pet ID - have your vet inject a tracking chip into your dog.

Yes - I suppose a dog could be caught up in wire - even without a collar. But believe me - this is much less likely to happen.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2018 HINO 195 VN:007374 powered by diesel engine, equipped with automatic transmission, power (A34907)
2018 HINO 195...
2008 Kobelco 135SR LC Excavator (A34033)
2008 Kobelco 135SR...
HORSE WALKER (A34808)
HORSE WALKER (A34808)
2008 FORD RANGER PICKUP TRUCK SN:1FTYR10D18PA70241 powered by 2.3L gas engine, equipped with (A34907)
2008 FORD RANGER...
1062 DONAHUE 7'X24' G/N LIVE STOCK TRAILER NO TITLE (A34733)
1062 DONAHUE...
2013 John Deere 608C Corn Head (A33783)
2013 John Deere...