My beloved Duramax needs help.

/ My beloved Duramax needs help.
New filter acquired it has 2 new orings let the pessimistic fun begin. First I'll thoroughly check newly replaced filter see if I can see any hint of seepage of fuel around it.

Attachments

• KIMG2448.JPG
    KIMG2448.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
Great to get in shop instead of usual desk paper pushing desk jokeying. As my backwoods pessimistic assumption seems correct occasionally, that's diesel on my hand. filter is weeping minimally from outer o-ring i believe. Makes sense considering the truck has a problem staying running after sitting more than a few days. Why would the gm engineers make that bloody filter so inaccessible? imo. This time around I'm more annoyed trying to document my trucks turmoil than having to pull that fender liner or inadequate repair methods by "professionals" I paid them to do it. Belt tensioner seems like it was properly done though. good day.

Attachments

• KIMG2454.JPG
    KIMG2454.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • KIMG2453.JPG
    KIMG2453.JPG
    545.5 KB · Views: 50
Questions for more knowledgeable folks than me what's your method for holding o-rings in place while reassembling something like a hard to reach fuel filter, I've always used a dab of axle grease or similar around base, is there a better hack for this?

I'm a sucker for learning hands on when around knowledgeable folks here's a picture of lower part of fuel filter weeping, it's very minimal and not dripping the shine is diesel, and is all I needed to see to justify replacing a rather expensive filter assembly. My other question is since it is weeping enough to cause problems staying running after sitting awhile cuz it's sucking minimal air has that weak cp4 high pressure pump been irreversibly damaged? Any way to tell without digging further into my Duramax?

Attachments

• KIMG2456.JPG
    KIMG2456.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
   / My beloved Duramax needs help. #26  
Install the new filter and make sure it doesn't leak, then if the truck runs good, I wouldn't worry about the pump.
First things first...

/ My beloved Duramax needs help. #27  
You need to get a reading of what your fuel pressure is doing. Is it dropping off under load or is the regulator going bad?

I'm not real sure if Dmax have a fuel pressure sensor, but they are not hard to add. You need to see in real time what your fuel is doing. That could point to a lift pump or leak.
We have great technology today, use it.

/ My beloved Duramax needs help. #28  
Also, fuel systems are expensive...it's the one thing to constanly monitor on high pressure fuel delivery systems.

I will die on the hill that HEUI is the best fuel system. It's not fragile and can supply enough fuel for any lite duty truck. Common rail is nice and clean, but damn is it fragile.

You need to get a reading of what your fuel pressure is doing. Is it dropping off under load or is the regulator going bad?

I'm not real sure if Dmax have a fuel pressure sensor, but they are not hard to add. You need to see in real time what your fuel is doing. That could point to a lift pump or leak.
We have great technology today, use it.
I think I can monitor fuel pressure with my standalone banks monitor when driving just need to figure out how to change the parameters I currently have it monitor new fuel filter assembly is in I pre primed it with a mixture of marvel, power service and shh 🤫 off road diesel. Orings didn't look to bad minus a little winter grit around them, lower valve was definitely on a little to tight for my liking anyway I'm hoping the lower drain valve is ok cuz I didn't replace that. Anyways left a clean white rag around filter, using off road diesel and marvel it's much easier to look for leaking. Hopefully reassembly of fender liner goes smoothly.

Attachments

• KIMG2457.JPG
    KIMG2457.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • KIMG2458.JPG
    KIMG2458.JPG
    1,008.7 KB · Views: 34
So far success, trucks running at idle , no leaks or weeping yet. have to figure banks monitor out to monitor fuel pressure which I'll definitely do when I get back inside.

Attachments

• KIMG2459.JPG
    KIMG2459.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37