Mule 610 started blowing white smoke

/ Mule 610 started blowing white smoke #1  

laurencen

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5600T Kioti CK20, Cat D2 dozer, Cat 420 tractor loader, Deer 644E loader, Bobcat E32 mini and Bobcat 590 skidsteer, Toro Groundsmaster 325D
looking for a few ideas, have a 2016 mule 610, it has 150 hours and ran like a top from new never had any issues changed oil yearly, today first run of the year, started fine but idle was slower than normal, running around the yard half throttle fine but under load on hill and full throttle lots of white smoke oily smell, every time its accelerated or hills.

it was late but this is what Im seeing, it idles poorly and dies, oil seems to be way over full and clean, it idles great with dipstick off but throws oil out motor, gas tank was under pressure when opened, do not recall this any time we fill it.

have to find a service manual, drain the oil and see if there is a vent for gas tank plus breather for motor, mice are bad here and hoping its something simple

/ Mule 610 started blowing white smoke #2  
“First start of the year”

I try to start everything at least once a month. Hopefully it’s just bad fuel. Did you have stabilizer in the fuel?

/ Mule 610 started blowing white smoke
new fuel made no difference its white smoke lots and oily smell, with temps of -40 starting over winter is not a option, my thought is with warmer weather and fuel tank pressurising somehow gas got into the oil, may explain how the oil is now way past full, will be changing oil today and figure why the tank is not venting

/ Mule 610 started blowing white smoke #4  
air cooled, or liquid cooled? white smoke sounds like coolant being burned, but not if air cooled?

this is a air cooled unit, no coolant, still questioning the pressure in the gas tank, figured there is a vent to prevent this,

/ Mule 610 started blowing white smoke #6  
Clean crankcase vent.

/ Mule 610 started blowing white smoke #7  
Does the oil smell like gas, real thin when you drained it? I have an old troybuilt tiller that the float sticks open occasionally, results in lots of gas entering the crankcase.
Id drain the oil, refill and see how it runs.

Mike

/ Mule 610 started blowing white smoke #8  
new fuel made no difference its white smoke lots and oily smell, with temps of -40 starting over winter is not a option, my thought is with warmer weather and fuel tank pressurising somehow gas got into the oil, may explain how the oil is now way past full, will be changing oil today and figure why the tank is not venting
If you left fuel in the carburetor bowl at those temps you probably need to rebuild the carb.

to answer the above we leave the fuel in every winter and never have a issue, I have had a mule 550 and it still runs today as it did from close to new unfortunately its not quite the same fuel setup,

oil is real thin and when drained we measured 1 25 liters, that's more than recommended, full including filter is shy of one liter and it has a odor to it

have to look for the crankcase vent tonight, missed that one what would I be looking for, my manual has nothing on it just like this odd plastic valve.

anyway today, drained the oil, looked at the fuel pump and it was bad so installed a new one tank still pressurizes if left for half hour so the tank has two hoses coming from it, front goes to filter then pump, the other has a short hose then a plastic (sort of valve) then to the charcoal canister, canister has 2 hoses on top onw from the tank the other to the intake manifold, there is another larger hose off the bottom runs to the tank area with a fuel filter to prevent dust entering then open below the seat.

all lines are clear after the odd plastic valve, no idea what it does but it has a red end and black body, as it is it allows free flow from the canister to the fuel tank but restricted flow from tank (hard blowing with my mouth) to the charcoal canister, Im guessing it should vent the tank pressure but it is not.

trying to find one of these valves, dealer has it backordered till June, has no idea how it works or what it does, removing it the fuel tank does not pressure, unit will run 75% throttle for a half hour but full throttle it bogs down and dies has a distinct odor no smoke but when you slow down and let the fuel catch up, if you open the gas cap it runs 75% no issue at full throttle after a few mins it slows maybe 10% and will continue at that no issue.

anyone know what this valve does, by chance anyone got a mule with one of these on and willing to take it out and see what direction or flow it gives?

one final observation, the hose from the bottom of the carbon canister that runs to the front of tank and has the filter on it, when the mule is running and one sucks nothing changes but blow the motor slows and dies.

thats as much as I can figure, maybe the fuel bowl is set ow but ran fine when stored last winter.

/ Mule 610 started blowing white smoke #10  
answer the above we leave the fuel in every winter and never have a issue
It “ran fine” when you parked it, but you’re sure it’s not a fuel or a carburetor issue. Maybe it just lost the will to live.