MT3 Crank position sensor location??

/ MT3 Crank position sensor location?? #1  

Bobrown14

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT352 w/power shuttle + cab
Got the dreaded F02 636 error code. Looks like I need a new crank position sensor. I ordered a new one from Messicks that is on a New Holland tractor with the same engine as mine (l3c19-t).

I found the part number on LS parts website and found the part at Messicks for a cool 165$ + ship.

While Im waiting for the part to ship, I've been looking around for the location on my engine. Was thinking it should be on the front crank case somewhere anyone have a clue where I should look.

It's pretty tight in there like they built the tractor for a mech with tiny hands... :ninja:

/ MT3 Crank position sensor location?? #2  
Should be right in front of the starter (closer to front) on the left side of the motor. One bolt and connector.

/ MT3 Crank position sensor location??
this one??

20230529_203320.jpg
20230529_203242.jpg

/ MT3 Crank position sensor location?? #4  
That looks like the Knock Sensor to me, here are pics from the manual (mt2xx but same motor) and PDF of the locations....
1685415053257.png

1685415153870.png

1685415220175.png

Attachments

• output.pdf
    7.9 MB · Views: 80
ok thanks to @Eagle1 I found the crank sensor. Its BEHIND the starter motor. And BEHIND yeah that sucks.

Prolly going to need to take the starter off to get toit.

Anyone remove a starter on this engine?? Looking or any gotcha's I'm not aware of.

Side note, looks like some debris around the sensor too, almost looks like foam insulation along with some f*cking rat nest material.

Its so tight in there I need a 5 yo kid to get a tool on it.

/ MT3 Crank position sensor location?? #6  
Knock on wood not I've not had to anything on the motor yet, but I would expect the starter to be come out easy. At least you don't have to lay under the car.

I found the removal/install in one of the manuals you linked me. Thanks sooo much for that. Going in today as my part is out for delivery.

I'll try and take pics.

Funny the parts catalog on LS website shows that part has been updated 3 times. Now wondering why that is??

I'm betting this is a warranty covered deal, but this time of year prolly going to take a while to get service.

/ MT3 Crank position sensor location?? #8  
While you have the part in hand check for any other identifying info. I expect it could be the same as others in use, like in Kia, etc and maybe much cheaper to buy that way.

Found a lot of Kubota parts that can be had for pennies on the dollar it you know what else they are used for.

Thanks again @Eagle1 - it worked. replaced the part with the New Holland equivalent started up and no codes she's baaaaack.
Just in time to make potato rows and 95F today ouch.

The key to replacing the crank sensor is removal of the starter. Once the starter is out of the way easy replacement.

Pro Tip: Dont drop the bolts.

Starter upper bolt is hard to get to. Hadda use a long extension for the upper starter bolt and a medium extender for the lower bolt.

Larger hands dont help here.

Here's the where the crank sensor is located. The studs are where the starter is attached. Easy to see the starter has to be removed.

20230601_140905.jpg

/ MT3 Crank position sensor location?? #10  
Good news, glad you back to work. Still looks easier to remove than the most cars.