MT235E Front Axle Oil

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #11  
Best choice is https://www.amsoil.com/p/severe-gear-80w-90-agl/

Use in differentials, manual transmissions and other gear applications requiring any of the following specifications: API GL-5, MT-1, MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana SHAES 234 (Formerly Eaton PS-037), Mack GO-J or other GL-5 based specifications from vehicle manufacturers, including Ford,* GM* and Chrysler.* Can also be used in axles where an API GL-4 lubricant is recommended.

This is what I use.
+1 on the severe gear goo... good stuff. Use it in my truck and tractor.

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil
Howdy all,

I've enjoyed reading the responses here. Funny how the topic lubricants can stir up some interesting conversation! In the end, I'll just square my neighbor away with some of the specified GL4 and advise him of the information gleaned here. When it is time to change the gear oil, I'm sure this subject will be revisited. For me, I'm conservative and always stick with what the manufactures specifies.

Be well,
Mike

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #13  
I now have about 25 hours on my MT335H and when checking all the fluid levels and greasing ect. I noticed I don't have a dipstick on my right hand front axle oil fill plug. On that page in the manual it shows a picture of the dipstick for the hydraulic oil on the fill plug but no picture of dipstick for front axle. It just says fill to the proper level. The bottom side of the plastic fill plug is just flat and it doesn't appear as though anything broke off of the plug. It looks low but how can I tell?

I have some Royal Purple Gear Max 75w-90w full synthetic that says it can be used in GL4 applications and will not corrode yellow metals in syncro transmissions. The manual calls for 80w-90w GL4. Would 75w-90w work ok?

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil
I now have about 25 hours on my MT335H and when checking all the fluid levels and greasing ect. I noticed I don't have a dipstick on my right hand front axle oil fill plug. On that page in the manual it shows a picture of the dipstick for the hydraulic oil on the fill plug but no picture of dipstick for front axle. It just says fill to the proper level. The bottom side of the plastic fill plug is just flat and it doesn't appear as though anything broke off of the plug. It looks low but how can I tell?
Same thing on my friend's tractor. Look at the same location on the other side of the tractor. You'll see a white plug there. Remove the white plug (27mm wrench) and you'll discover your dipstick! We went through the same puzzle too.

I have some Royal Purple Gear Max 75w-90w full synthetic that says it can be used in GL4 applications and will not corrode yellow metals in syncro transmissions. The manual calls for 80w-90w GL4. Would 75w-90w work ok?
Regarding GL4 versus GL5, you have probably already reviewed all the comments here. For me, I'll stick with GL4 and not induce any additional worry for myself. The weight you have should be fine.

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #15  
Why would they design it so you have to use a wrench to check the oil level but have a hand loosened plastic plug for filling the oil...seems ass backward! So you could check it in the field if needed and then fill it back in the shop where you keep the 27mm socket.

I just purchased 21mm,24mm,and 30mm 6 point sockets for my Tacoma diff drain and fill plugs.Rusted really bad...I'm lucky I got them loosened. I guess it's back to Amazon for the 27mm 6 point. Is that a metal plug for the dipstick?

I just got back from Fleet Farm and the only GL-4 they have is Mercury Marine 90W GL4 for marine lower units. It says it will work with up to 10% water in the oil.

Thanks for the information

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #16  
Ahh... Tacoma diffs... I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two. :cautious: Not exactly fun. Amazon sells spare plugs for a few dollars, fyi.

As far as the ass backwards on the plugs, for me, my manual specifies to check the front axle oil every 50 hours. So this is not necessary a 'field check' daily thing, like the engine oil. Typically, you're checking the front axle oil at the shop or garage, where tools are more available. That's not saying you cant, or shouldnt, check it in the field, but, you know what I mean. ;)

And 50 hours seems a bit... frequent for me. I check mine about once or twice a year. Not even sure of the hours. It's typically when I A) have the tractor in the shop for an oil change or something. And B) when I remember. :oops:

The fact that your tractors also have a dipstick (and a plastic fill port cap) is odd to me. Mine are simple threaded plugs, like on most diffs. A fill inlet with steel threaded plug, and a check port, again, with steel threaded plug. I'm just grateful they have the fill port and don't require oil to be pumped into the tiny check port!

All this to say, I have no idea as to why they would put a dip stick on the side of an axle with a steel screw, and a plastic fill port cap. I guess they assume the "check port" should be where you check it, and there really is not anything to damage a plastic cap on the top of the axle. If it were me, I'd probably replace that plastic cap with a steel one though. :)

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #17  
The "plastic fill cap" is actually a vented cap, relieves pressure buildup during use so the seals don't blow out.

/ MT235E Front Axle Oil #18  
It all makes sense now!