Mower has low power after tune-up

/ Mower has low power after tune-up #1  

mjw357

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I have an Exmark zero-turn with Kawasaki FX801V engine. Brought it in the garage last fall, all was running perfectly. This winter I changed the oil and filter, fuel filter and the rocker cover gaskets because they were leaking a bit. While I had those off I figured I would check/set the valve clearance.
Went to mow this afternoon, started right up and let warm for a couple minutes before I started.
Wheeled over to the yard, half throttle, turned on PTO to start blades, full throttle. Seemed OK for a few seconds then lost power when I started moving. It just is not making full power/RPM’s with mower engaged.
What’s everyones first thought?

Last edited:
   / Mower has low power after tune-up #2  
Valve lash not correct. Getting too tight as temp oncreases. Just a guess...

/ Mower has low power after tune-up #3  
Valve lash not correct. Getting too tight as temp oncreases. Just a guess...
Good guess. All the vertical V twins, Kowalski, Kohler and Briggs are all touchy with valve adjustments and they have to be right on or they run like crap.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / Mower has low power after tune-up
So got it back running. Here’s what happened.
IMG_6846.JPG
IMG_6845.JPG

Apparently did not fully tighten locknut on one of the rocker adjusters. No damage, all parts found. Set valve clearance to 0.004”-0.005”, reassembled and ran.
Mowed for a couple minutes then died, like turning the key off. Restarted using choke even though it was warm. Surged and died a couple more times under load. Ran it back to garage with mower off surging the whole way. Took carburetor off and opened float bowl.
IMG_6839.JPG

Debris in opening opposite needle valve. Cleaned carb out and reassembled. Wife mowed with it for over an hour, all good.