Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #62  
That’s why I got a Cub instead of a Super A. I hate trailers and my parents farm is 20 miles away from our’s. The Cub only goes about 11 mph at wide open throttle in 3rd gear. It would take me most of a day to drive it over there and back, but I can get it over there in just over 20 minutes, in the bed of the truck.

They have a perfect spot to unload over there. I just back up to the raised sand-filter septic system in their front yard. I was getting some looks while loading up from the folks shopping for chainsaws and lawn-mowers at the dealer’s shop across the street.
View attachment 814393

The Cub, even with loaded rear tires, must be considerably lighter than my 8 ft camper, because the truck handles better in the turns with it on back.
Your camper also sets higher, which makes a difference. Nice looking trucks.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #63  
Your camper also sets higher, which makes a difference. Nice looking trucks.
If those 6.0 liter Chevy V8’s really are good for over 300,000 miles, then both of those trucks ought to last considerably longer than I will. I’ll be 98 in 40 years. Both of those 00’s have about 80k miles on them now.

Neither one has ever used more than a quart of oil between 6000 mile changes. I used Mobil 1 synthetic in them until (3) years ago, when I bought a new Chevy suv. That called for GM synthetic oil, which cost me about half of what Mobil 1 did, so now I use that in them.

All of the problems I had thru the years with the 4x4 were rust related: brake lines, frame rot, rear drive shaft rusted off. The engine never gave me any trouble.

The drive shaft went at a boat launch about 10 years ago. It broke off at the back universal. I just pulled the front part out of the transfer case, threw it in the back of the truck, engaged the front axle, and drove it home like that.

No rust problems at all with the rust-proofed “Florida” 2wd but I did have to replace the air conditioner manifold on it last year. I suppose my uncle must have used the heck out of that down in Florida for a lot of years.

Back to the subject of moving from a half ton to a heavy duty truck, I did that in 2000 and there’s no way I’d ever consider going back to a half ton. I had (4) of them, all with the GM 350 engine. The first was a 79 GMC “heavy half” with 8 ft box and standard cab.

That’s the only one that I regret selling. You only ever have one “first”. The only option that one had was air conditioning. It was the same air conditioner GM used on the Suburbans. It would almost freeze ice in that little standard cab, with the more powerful, but less environmentally friendly refrigerant that they used back then.

I liked those 350’s, and it’s hard to believe that engine could be improved upon much, but GM managed to do it with those 6 liters. I was a little skeptical of getting one on the year they were introduced, but it turned out ok (for the first 23 years anyhow). I’ll have to see how the next 40 goes.

Last edited:
   / Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #64  
No rust problems at all with the rust-proofed “Florida” 2wd but I did have to replace the air conditioner manifold on it last year. I suppose my uncle must have used the heck out of that down in Florida for a lot of years.
That is very likely!

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #65  
Bought a 2021 Ram 2500 6.4 gas new for $46,000. Tows 17,000lbs. I'm seeing them on Carfax for $43K and up with 27K-64K miles.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck
OP Congrats on the New Super Duty.

is it still in warranty with those miles, or if not possible to buy an extended warranty that covers the CP4?

If so it might be worth consideration for some extra protection long term.

Thanks, I did decide to go ahead and pull the trigger, signed the papers last night. It’s a 2019 F-250 Super Duty Supercrew 4x4. It’s the base XLT trim so very few if any options. 6.7L turbo diesel. I probably will upgrade the little 4” screen to a 8 – 10” screen so the backup cam is easier to use. That’s the best thing ever for hooking up a trailer.

Truck has 81,000 miles. I was able to buy a Ford ESP warranty that covers me for 48,000 miles from today’s date. It covers engine, turbo, manifolds, fuel injectors, fuel rails/lines, fuel pump, A/C system, transmission, and several other things. I plan to maintain this truck religiously and keep it as long as I possibly can.

First trip home I realized just how stiff the suspension is. I knew a HD truck would ride stiff and I am fine with it. I’m just surprised at HOW stiff it is. My Dad has a 2017 Silverado 3500 diesel and it rides the same or slightly better than this Super Duty F-250. Granted, the previous owner did put airbags on the rear of this truck, and I haven’t had time to investigate yet to see if they are hooked up to an automatic load leveling system or if they are manual inflate/deflate. The power from this diesel engine is ridiculous. It’s a 7,800 lb. truck and it’ll eat the tires for lunch when a light turns green if I’m not careful.

Payload rating on the door placard is 2,350ish which is a 44% increase over the Ram 1500 I traded in. Trailer towing capacity on this truck is 14,700 which is a 77% increase over the Ram 1500. So while I ideally wanted a 1-ton truck I think that this truck will suit my needs just fine. In fact, with all my research I have discovered that the ONLY difference between the ¾ and 1 ton Super Duty is the rear axle and the leaf pack. And, most guys actually prefer the Sterling 10.5 axle from the ¾ ton so in *practical* terms this ¾ has nothing holding me back.

Got this truck home just in time, as this coming Saturday I will be using it to pull a 4-wheel-drive aerial boom. I have to reach the high spots on my rural farm house to reattach soffit and fascia that was blown of in this year’s storms.

20230801_161015[1].jpg

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #67  
Good looking rig!

A bunch of years ago I had an '08 F-250, I also did the research between it and the F-350. At the time the only difference the parts guy and I found was that the F-250 had a 2" spacer above the rear axle and the F-350 had a 4" spacer in the same spot.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #68  

Attachments

• 20221019_121035.jpg
    20221019_121035.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 126

That sure is a handsome truck...

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #69  
Good looking rig!

A bunch of years ago I had an '08 F-250, I also did the research between it and the F-350. At the time the only difference the parts guy and I found was that the F-250 had a 2" spacer above the rear axle and the F-350 had a 4" spacer in the same spot.

When outfitted properly you can match an F250 to F350 spec; to my understanding that's a run around for taxes in certain states. Now, that said, you can outfit an F350 to haul 4k pounds in the bed, but you're not doing that with an F250.

Suffice it to say, the platform is identical, and they're real nice trucks.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #70  
^^^^
Absolutely correct!

Mike