Moving a shed

/ Moving a shed #31  
I'd probably get a box of Timberloks and use them.

/ Moving a shed #32  
Not sure..

Got a few options:

1. Add onto right side of barn with a lean to large enough to put camper in.
The best place would be to remove the lean to from behind it, and pull it back into that place. That would leave me enough room to get into an addition on the right side of the barn. Would require some buildup after removing the lean to.
Would be nice to keep it close to the existing driveway area. And close to keep power to it.

2. Nuke the whole shed and build another pole building where it is, that the camper would fit in.

3. Leave shed as is, fix it up with new siding, remove the junk that’s in it, and keep my camper outside as it’s been.

4. Get rid of camper.

5. Status quo.
Have you thought about skinning the exterior with metal and building another lean to for the camper?

/ Moving a shed #33  
I'd probably get a box of Timberloks and use them.
Love those things. Just went through a couple boxes on a project.

/ Moving a shed #34  
Years ago, my uncle moved a double garage with his Datsun pick-up. He scrounged some old telephone poles he cut up to roll it on after bracing the walls. Moved it about 75' with no help.

/ Moving a shed #35  
I moved a small cabin that was next to the big cabin I built. I just had to move it back 20 feet, but the bastard was heavy. Luckily the cabin was built on skids.

I bought a 15 ton chain winch for steering. I used floor jacks to jack up the cabin to put oil pipe under it. I wrapped the place in HD tie straps to keep it al together. I then had one person use the chain winch for steering to where I wanted it to go. I had a friend use the mini ex to push it back into it's place. It barely had enough power to push it.

It was a nerve racking day, but I got it.

From where it was, to where it went to...

531.jpeg
IMG_0352_resized.JPG
IMG_0353_resized.JPG
20190922_095625.jpg
20190825_121521_resized.jpg

/ Moving a shed
In my opinion, the only challenge is if you can get it up in the air high enough to slide some skids under it. Or can you tunnel under it to slide some skids under it?

Once you get the skids under it, and I'm thinking that a pair of 6x6's will work, then it's just a matter of locking it all together.

I would leave the OSB on there for now. Maybe forever. It's ugly, but it's just a shed. Wrap the OSB with house wrap and install new siding over it once it's in the new location.

I would probably screw on some diagonal bracing to the outside of the OSB at each corner, into your studs, to lock it all together.

If it works, great. If it doesn't, gather up what's salvable and build it again. Or just burn it and move on to other projects. Just don't spend a bunch of money on moving it when it's overall value isn't significant.

In the back, no problem, floor joists sit on the 4x6, which sit on 8” blocks. Might have to Jack up the 6x6 to lag down thru the 4x4 joist.
IMG_3466.JPG

Those are some old pics, the siding is worse than shown in a few places.
Hardest part is removing the back lean to. It’s about 9 ft from back wall of shed to outside lean to header. I had guessed 10 ft. This weekend I hope to remove some stuff.

Last edited:
   / Moving a shed
Have you thought about skinning the exterior with metal and building another lean to for the camper?

That’s essentially option 1. Lean to off the barn for the camper to go under, but the shed needs moved to get the camper into that area.
IMG_3465.JPG

I used to fill rain barrels from just the front of the shed, until the plastic downspout broke. Amazing how much water came off that little area.
Once downspout broke, and lack of repair, the water did a number on the siding on that corner. That’s the worse part of the siding.

Last edited:
   / Moving a shed
I moved a small cabin that was next to the big cabin I built. I just had to move it back 20 feet, but the bastard was heavy. Luckily the cabin was built on skids.

That looks heavy.

/ Moving a shed
Behind the lean to I had added firewood storage area. It had roll roofing that blew off years ago and that roof rotted. Some of that firewood’s been there 24 yrs.
I used some this fall camping, most is still good.
IMG_3468.JPG

Hope to get this cleaned out this weekend.

Last edited:
   / Moving a shed #40  
I have a shed the same size which I've been thinking about moving, which looks very much like yours right down to the rotting OSB. The only difference is that I built it up high enough so that I can crawl underneath; and it's setting on 6x6 beams.
I built it for a temporary home in 2003, and haven't decided just what to do with it yet. It's all wired and would make a good shed if I get it on a more solid footing. I will probably take the OSB off to make sure that the frame beneath it is solid, then brace it to keep things from moving until I get it into place.