Moving a GR2100.

/ Moving a GR2100. #11  
I guess it will be a plastic button , 1/3 - 1/2 across. Get a small mirror
and look around the casing. May well be accessable without removing
any form of shielding , otherwise that would be rather inpractical.

Just looked at my neighbour's ( they're away and I've keys )
and the button is countersunk underneath the casing at the
rear so it can be pressed whilst the mower is shoved along.

Sorry I didn't see this post ages ago , but I read the BX stuff ............

Last edited:
   / Moving a GR2100.
I did find it, countersunk as you said, at the left rear of the machine near the bottom of the tranny. However, it is more like a pin about 3/16" - 1/4" in diameter on mine. And at this location, one could probably push in a small wedge of wood or something to keep it depressed while pushing. I don't know why it's not covered in the owner's manual. It only says not to tow the machine as it will damage the transmission. Prior to the button, I could just manage to roll it forward, but not in reverse. And I don't think I could move it very far. It took a lot of "push". Thanks again.

/ Moving a GR2100. #13  
Re: Moving a GR2100 - how to find the bypass button

I have had a Kubota GR2100 for several years and I do like it, but it has some design weaknesses. First I've had a front wheel break off on the cutting bed. The shaft holding the wheel snapped. When I went to buy a replacement I discovered the newer shafts are much thicker. Evidently Kubota discovered the wheel shafts are not strong enough and the later 2100-series mowers use the larger shaft and, no, the new shaft cannot be retrofitted to the GR2100! The latest problem is that sometimes the GR2100 will not start. The starter relay will click, but the starter will not engage. Sounds as if the battery is near-dead. It isn't. After a while, turning the key will engage the starter. This brings me to the main reason for my post. Kubota states in the manual that the GR2100 SHOULD NOT BE TOWED. They don't emphasize this enough. I believe that if you try to tow/drag the mower you will damage the transmission.......unless you disengage it. The User Manual does not mention this or how to do it. My research has uncovered the "secret" which it to depress the bypass button. Others have posted on this forum that they have trouble finding this bypass. I've attached a photo taken from the lower rear of the mower with the bypass button circled. This has got to be the dumbest design I've ever seen! To move the mover with the engine off, one has to depress the button. Questions is how can you press the button and move the mover at the same time? I've jury-rigged two short 3/8-inch dowels that I've whittled down to force the button up and, hopefully hold it in place. (I haven't actually tried to move the mower this way yet.)

Can anyone suggest a *decent and secure* method of holding the button up - it pushes up, not down - with a more secure method than the one I've devised? Surely, Kubota repair shops have devised a better method. Any and all suggestions greatly received!

Attachments

• Kubota GR2100 Bypass valve.pdf
    201.3 KB · Views: 1,156
   / Moving a GR2100. #14  
Re: Moving a GR2100 - how to find the bypass button

Only have one story to tell on towing a GR,a 2110. A friend of mine said his wife was mowing and it just stopped moving.So,we hopped in a car and went to look at it.Started right up but wouldn't go forward or back.Only thing we had to move it was a golfcart.Pulled it about a 1000 ft.The hardest part was no steering at all.Big puddle of oil on the garage floor but they decided to mow with it anyway.Ask him after they got it fixed what the problem was.Dealer fixed a leaky hose,filled it back up with fluid and didn't hurt a thing.So.maybe there was no damage due to no fluid left in it?

/ Moving a GR2100. #15  
Hey Locknut:

Thanks for your reply. I've attached a page from the shop manual that discusses the by-pass valve. From the wording in these paragraphs it implies, but doesn't say specifically, that without oil the connecting sections aren't connected which may validate your guess that the lack of oil prevented damage. I am still amazed that Kubota designs something like this and, more importantly, doesn't mention anything about this configuration in the User's Manual! By-pass valve.jpg

/ Moving a GR2100. #16  
Looking from the back as in photo below the valve is the plated nut and plunger about half way across the photo and about a 3rd way up (in the rusted casing behind the pipe). Took me a long time to find!
gr2100.png

/ Moving a GR2100. #17  
Not sure if they are similar or not but on the old G1800 once you pressed the by pass button it stayed in untill you fired up the tractor and started using it.

/ Moving a GR2100. #18  
I would live to find out how to free wheel my G2160