Most useful implements?

/ Most useful implements? #51  
To preface this, I will be using a 21hp White/Iseki 4wd diesel tractor with suitcase weights on the front. No FEL. It has been a great tractor, my dad has had it for probably 20 years now. He runs a concrete business, and now has a healthy Takeuchi skid steer, no longer uses the tractor much. He also has a zero turn mower and doesn't use the tractor and finish mower much any more. Soon I'll be building a shed and bringing the tractor over to my house. I have an acre of land. I have a lot of trees to keep up with, I am begining to become pretty particular about my sod, I will eventually have a little grading to do here and there, I have some irrigation to install and keep up with, and I move a lot of heavy items around by myself. I make creative use of trailer, dollies, hand trucks, truck bed, etc. I also have several projects where I will need to set fence posts. I would suspect for the next 5 years or so I'll be leveling and top dressing the lawn with a sand/OM blend.

That's just a back story on the types of things I'll be doing. No farm, cows to give hay, etc.

I'm just curious what 3 PH implements you all find the most useful. Even my particular needs aside.

I plan to get a box scraper, landscaping rake, subsoiler (to pull pipe with), forks, dirt scoop, and a boom pole eventually. Keeping my eye out for things used until I have a real NEED for a particular piece. At which point I would maybe buy new.

I will need to rent a sod cutter occasionally. I wonder if there is a 3ph sod cutter attachment? I haven't found any.

I also may rent a post hole digger. I have a 2 stroke gas one but tractor driven would be easy!

What have you guys found REALLY useful? Especially something you might not think about.
I use my blade ,loader with thumb and homemade debris bar, a backhoe for tractor with thumb for backhoe would be something I would find quite useful. I garden so I have tiller, middle buster, and 3 point raised bed I had made from an old Massey cultivater. 3 point shedder I rebuilt, but shedder was free. I have a 100d Davis trencher that has separate pump that uses tractor PTO to run, I am thinking I could build small trailer to mount it on and pull behind tractor.

/ Most useful implements? #52  
I use my blade ,loader with thumb and homemade debris bar, a backhoe for tractor with thumb for backhoe would be something I would find quite useful. I garden so I have tiller, middle buster, and 3 point raised bed I had made from an old Massey cultivater. 3 point shedder I rebuilt, but shedder was free. I have a 100d Davis trencher that has separate pump that uses tractor PTO to run, I am thinking I could build small trailer to mount it on and pull behind tractor.
The Davis is old and heavy , I have run it to see if it was operational. The bucket has a hole that think maybe can repair with piece of metal. If I can put some pictures up maybe someone can provide ideas on how to go forward with this project. Thanking in advance.

/ Most useful implements? #53  
Not sure why you would want a carry-all if you have forks. Put your hitch receiver on your forks. The forks can carry different boxes depending on what you want and it is easier to back under a new box with the forks than it is to hitch a new 3 pt implement. So the forks with different boxes gives you more options and easier changeover.
I probably should have been a bit more clear (though it seems to have been sorted out). At the moment the only forks I have are for the loader, not the three-point. I may get an adapter at some point and/or a dedicated set of 3pt forks so I can adjust them to the tractor's 3pt range of motion (and take advantage of the higher lift capacity) .....but with telescoping lower links, the telescoping sway bars, and a hydraulic toplink I find it easier to change implements with those features than I did with the one time I used a quick hitch - just because the implements and tractor aren't always on flat and level ground together.

While I agree that forks can have more utility, they also tend to extend further off the back than a carry all ...and the narrowest dimension can be a bit wider -- which for some of my uses makes a bit of difference. With casters on a carry-all I should be able to roll the whole thing through my covered patio (and potentially through my backdoor) ...which means if/when I'm using it as a "portable kitchen counter" when having a bonfire I can reduce the number of trips spent carrying drinks/water jugs, food, utensils, etc.

So depending on the uses/limitations the two different things could have there own unique advantages.... but it depends on a person's uses.

/ Most useful implements? #54  
This is trencher Davis 100a I saw it in a field and bought it, it does function, someone tried to make it 3 point , but this trencher is much to heavy for my 2910i Branson. So I am thinking of making it pull able. It operates with PTO pump attached to PTO on tractor. I am next putting up pictures of trailer in progress to accommodate trencher all ideas are welcome.

Attachments

• 617B5526-C69D-4936-8F02-5A3A3C22A017.jpeg
    617B5526-C69D-4936-8F02-5A3A3C22A017.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 88
  • 5B71B8AB-239C-42C6-A150-B94252F923E5.jpeg
    5B71B8AB-239C-42C6-A150-B94252F923E5.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 163
  • 0664840D-D132-49D1-AF3C-86AF52C2702C.jpeg
    0664840D-D132-49D1-AF3C-86AF52C2702C.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 96
   / Most useful implements? #55  
I haven’t attached axles or wheels or even bed , I also found this trailer frame in a field , bought it, I figured $50 for frame wasn’t a bad deal, the axle was way too small but frame is a good size, I think it must have come from a travel trailer.

Attachments

• F49C51F6-8269-4E0E-B683-BE3153B51555.jpeg
    F49C51F6-8269-4E0E-B683-BE3153B51555.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 74
  • ACA0562F-E136-457E-BFA0-353E1C4E3422.jpeg
    ACA0562F-E136-457E-BFA0-353E1C4E3422.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 73
  • 262376E2-9580-4FF6-92C5-E97C04C8D69C.jpeg
    262376E2-9580-4FF6-92C5-E97C04C8D69C.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 70
  • E0F88959-4EBB-4F45-9B16-D8D9C1526F3B.jpeg
    E0F88959-4EBB-4F45-9B16-D8D9C1526F3B.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 72
   / Most useful implements? #56  
This is raised bed holler I had built, unfortunately the welding machine shop sold and the new owners will not do small things. Again found Ferguson frame this time the people give it to you if you haul it and some trash they had, I did so. I think Ipaid machine shop $150 to build.

Attachments

• 6BDFCC42-A210-4DDE-86F7-070F85FF4550.jpeg
    6BDFCC42-A210-4DDE-86F7-070F85FF4550.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • 357A32F3-235E-4417-88D4-A667A54F402A.jpeg
    357A32F3-235E-4417-88D4-A667A54F402A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 80
  • CED66315-799C-4996-9C5E-ECEE7501F53C.jpeg
    CED66315-799C-4996-9C5E-ECEE7501F53C.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 86
  • 8BD31585-AE9A-426B-A92F-43D9513692FE.jpeg
    8BD31585-AE9A-426B-A92F-43D9513692FE.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 87
   / Most useful implements? #57  
I never had use of tractor or loader, I dug all water lines on property using a front-tine roto tiller-river bottom land is like a brick. I would water ground run roto tiller, dig and clear trench and do it again until I went 2ft. I was much younger, now am 69 yrs old and love my front end loader, I added thumb from Greens Machine Shop, I can pick-up a single piece of tin or load tree branches. Digging water and Utility line a middle buster would be a good investment for you. The roto-tiller belonged to my cousin, he kindly let me borrow it. Since I already had loader all I had to add was diverter for thumb and of course hydraulic hoses, and I cannot thank this forum enough for all their help they gave me on this forum.

/ Most useful implements? #58  
I've decided to start a small garden. I borrowed a tiller from my uncle, and HOLY COW that is an awesome attachment! Might have to pick one up some day! Unfortunately they're expensive . My plan was to just tear it up with a middle buster and use my walk behind cultivator to till and mix it up, but this made quick work of it from start to finish, did a much better job, and was EASY!View attachment 693226View attachment 693227View attachment 693228View attachment 693229
I bought the lowest priced 3point I could find ,I garden about 1 acre to 2 acres, Northern Tool had one Direct Drive $900 now there was a problem with direct drive ,kept tearing up pto drive, theirs is 8 spline to tractor side is 6 spline, I even broke pto shaft inside tractor, could not afford the damage, so I decided to take gear apart took it to machine shop had splines rounded off tiller spline,had them drill a hole so I could use shear bolt and a common pto shaft with 6 spline to tractor and round to tiller shaft, solved the problem. The tiller you are using is gear driven, they are the best I have a gear driven but it needs top gear box, I think I can get one from RuralKing for about $500 or $550 of course I will need to modify to make it work, but I think it would be worth my time and money.

/ Most useful implements?
I ran my main line from the road to our pool house (130') with a shovel.

For the rest of the irrigation I have bought a stand alone trencher. Should make that much easier.

Edit- DOH! Nevermind

Last edited:
   / Most useful implements? #60  
Very fun thread.

Consider a physically small but heavy counterweight. I bought a ballast box, put some large steel scraps in the bottom, and then filled it with concrete. I poured self-leveling concrete as the last layer, and once it was cured and stable, I poured Flex-Seal rubber into it, so if it gets left out in the rain the water won't get stuck in there and rust it out. It's an even 800 lbs and makes a big difference on rear traction, especially with the FEL loaded. If you have tight quarters, as I have, a small ballast is much more tolerable than something big like a box blade.

Also -- I haven't heard this suggestion anywhere -- buy a pallet, maybe a nice clean plastic one. I'm planning to do this. I find my station wagon can just clear a standard 40" wide one. With one of these I could put the pallet in the back, load up heavy stuff such as concrete bags at the local store (or get them to load it), and then pull it out with pallet forks on the FEL. I think I can wind up with a pallet load of concrete sacks wherever I want it, maybe even at chest level, with zero wear and tear on my poor old back.