Most tractor for the $ (Kioti vs Mahindra vs Kubota)

/ Most tractor for the $ (Kioti vs Mahindra vs Kubota) #1  

jcraftenworth

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 9n, BCS 737
Was wondering if people out there have a feel, in general, for which modern utility tractor maker gives the most performance for the money? If you know of any other dependable makers, throw em in. I kinda assume jd, case, nh would be higher priced but could be wrong, I heard most of them have them made out of the usa anyway.

/ Most tractor for the $ (Kioti vs Mahindra vs Kubota) #2  
That is an extremely broad request, in order to help you it would be required to know use, size, etc.... All brands have their merits for the particular buyer albeit price point, reliability, additional functions included, warranty etc.... Cost is relative to your bank account. While I found Kioti favorable for me, I also am very fond of Kubota and would have 3 of each if I could afford it.

/ Most tractor for the $ (Kioti vs Mahindra vs Kubota) #3  
Ever heard of a Massey Ferguson?

/ Most tractor for the $ (Kioti vs Mahindra vs Kubota)
oh sure, I want 30" or a bit more straddling width between the front and rear inner tire walls to be able to straddle my 30" wide 8" high raised market garden beds. probably 27-30+ hp diesel, maybe a bit more if hydrostastic. Loader not needed, will be running 3 pt plows, cultivators, 48" rototiller, 8 row corn/large seed planters, 5 ft tandem disc, BUT I have a started plant trays transplanter that holds about 100 gallons of water and is heavy duty steel carrying two adults, it's fairly heavy and it requires hydraulic remote outlet support for lifting the hole making dibbing/watering wheel. I've gotta think the implement weighs 1500 lbs or so with the water tank filled up. Also I'm interested in pulling a 12 ft ground drive seed drill and running an older pull type small (5-10 ft header) pto combine for growing some small heirloom grains.

MF combines are kinda famous in ND/MN. I like their old tractors bc I like N series tractors and they look very similar! Plus I favor diesels and they were early pioneers of diesel (altho I hear old diesels are buggers to start)

/ Most tractor for the $ (Kioti vs Mahindra vs Kubota) #6  
You have a range of sizes with respect to implements a 48" tiller, 12 foot seed drill, 10ft. combine I think you might want to up your HP requirements from 30HP as it is going to run small for those implements and of course 4x4. In addition often times to go to 35-40 HP will not be much more $$ and little size difference. Also IMHO think that you would be better served with a gear drive for that degree of ground engaging work, be it a shuttle shift or direct gear drive. I am assuming you want R1 tires for row crops and a lot of you compact tractors have the ability to adjust your tire width with 4-6 inches each way. As for loader I would make the suggestion that you get one because the uses afterwards are vast and often not thought of pre sale.

As for tractors I liked the CK4010 before buying my NX, the CK is small and still well powered and has the ability to be expanded, they are well appointed and have a great warranty IMHO. I also like Kubota but the B series I think will run small, they do offer the L series which I think would better serve you with respect to HP but is a lower tier tractor when looking at options and amenities. Have you considered LS they have a very large scale for compacts from 30HP to 65HP and come with a good warranty and standard options not available on others. Mahindra is one I have ZERO experience with as I had no dealer support so someone else could help you there. NH up to a certain model will be the LS rebadged with a different loader, again not versed enough for advise. JD are very nice but they are green and your going to pay for that green, if your bank account allows then it would be worth a look for you, they do have an economy series depending on your price point.

/ Most tractor for the $ (Kioti vs Mahindra vs Kubota) #7  
If you are not using a loader take a look at two wheel drive tractors, more wheel spacing options.

/ Most tractor for the $ (Kioti vs Mahindra vs Kubota) #8  
Was wondering if people out there have a feel, in general, for which modern utility tractor maker gives the most performance for the money?

Just my opinion after owning an LS, and cross-shopping nearly all the others: Mahindra is bottom of my list. On paper they are very competitive, but underwhelming in the flesh esp. when compared to the others.

For a solid tractor:money ratio, the Kioti DK-, LS K- and Kubota MX-series tractors -- the latter 2 also available in 2WD -- all (IIRC) offer plenty of width and ground clearance, plus the HP and heft to pull around all those implements without breaking a sweat. I admire what you are doing... it sounds really interesting.

Just my opinion after owning an LS, and cross-shopping nearly all the others: Mahindra is bottom of my list. On paper they are very competitive, but underwhelming in the flesh esp. when compared to the others.

For a solid tractor:money ratio, the Kioti DK-, LS K- and Kubota MX-series tractors -- the latter 2 also available in 2WD -- all (IIRC) offer plenty of width and ground clearance, plus the HP and heft to pull around all those implements without breaking a sweat. I admire what you are doing... it sounds really interesting.

Hey thanks. Maybe the only wrinkle is that I need around 30" between the tires, but my walkways are 18" so 30" inner plus 36 for the walkways on either side means the outer tire wall on one side to the other of the tractor shouldn't be more than 66" wide. And I can't have tires greater than 18" wide tread. The system is designed for ease of use for walking around in it and harvesting, being able to jump over rows pretty easily to get from side to side, and to be able to reach to the center of the rows from either side. It's good for humans and more dense plants per square foot with smaller row widths but it definitely narrows down what kind of tractor i can use for groundworking or seeding. However, I know there are tractors out there that fit the bill. I'll definitely check out some of these models.

In many respects an old farmall cub can handle a lot of my tasks maybe better than anything in the world, BUT then it isn't good for rototilling, can't do the transplanter or pto combine. Maybe you get a skidsteer for some loader, rockpicking, tree work. Get a bigger tractor for the bigger soilworking tasks. Gotta have your fancy hydrostatic zero turn mower! So then you end up with a small fleet of machiens all taking up space, all requiring fluids and mechanical maintenance. It can quickly become a NIGHTMARE. The dream is one dependable machine that can do ALL my tasks. Maybe not quite as well as specialty machines, but well enough that I'm satisfied with the results.

/ Most tractor for the $ (Kioti vs Mahindra vs Kubota) #10  
The DK series could still be a contender at ~63" min. width, but the MX is too wide and 2WD K-series is exactly 66" wide with R1s (per brochure). Width specs will have to be manually verified, but the big spec that stood out to me was your 3PH lifting capacity.

Safely and comfortably carrying 1500+ lbs on the 3PH and pulling wider/heavier implements puts some of the smaller CUTs into the "barely" or "ain't gonna do it" range. Your unique situation literally and figuratively narrows the options. After buying too big, I'm personally concerned about too small... if there is a compromise, would rather it be paying a little more for can vs. can't do.

P.S. you forgot the engines for all the little tools like weed trimmer, chainsaw, rototiller, chipper/shredder, pressure washer, and maybe a generator, etc.! Agree, they add up and would be nicer to have one a single power source and multiple interchangeable implements. Somebody wiser once cautioned that frankentool may do everything ok but nothing well... so now my bank account is smaller and storage/maintenance needs are bigger for a bunch of low hour engines and single purpose tools.