Most efficient way to burn wood

/ Most efficient way to burn wood
South facing saltbox with centralized internal chimney here which helps, but our Woodstock Soapstone with catalyst does a superb job with our 1000 or so sqft. Get it up to temp, engage the catalyst, and it will burn hot for about 8hrs with 3 18" splits. We burn about 2 cords a year, keep it between 66-68 on average and regularly see below 0F temps with many days of double digit below 0F.

I think building design and insulation are more important than stove design though. In the Spring (about now untill May) we might burn 3 pieces a day. The South facing windows and roof can net us 6 degreesF of daytime increase on an average (50 or so) Spring Day.

Buck, do you wood as your primary heat source as I do and is your wood stove within your main living space?

/ Most efficient way to burn wood #12  
Buck, do you wood as your primary heat source as I do and is your wood stove within your main living space?

Yes to both. Our bedroom is on a second floor open loft layout, perfect for a woodstove. The woodstive itself is in our main living area, with kitchen, guest bedroom/bathroom on the other side of it.

Two years ago, I was disgusted by my electricity bills and tired of carrying logs to the fireplace. So I replaced everything by an automatic pellet furnace. The pellets are delivered right in the silo and taken to the furnace as needed by a screw. Circulating water carries the heat to every room and creates a very comfortable atmosphere. I had to build an extra room to house the whole thing, but I find it was well worth it.

I think Europe seems to be always in the lead with alternative heating technology. This is driven of course with fuel cost ie. parts of Italy paying over $9 for a gallon of gasoline. I'm sure fuel oil must be up there as well in Europe. There are some great wood stoves there that we can't as yet buy here.

Yes to both. Our bedroom is on a second floor open loft layout, perfect for a woodstove. The woodstive itself is in our main living area, with kitchen, guest bedroom/bathroom on the other side of it.

Your home must be well insulated as well. I'll look up your stove.

/ Most efficient way to burn wood #15  
Your home must be well insulated as well. I'll look up your stove.

It is, here is a link to our stove.

As for the stove, no glass, all soapstone and cast iron. Soapstone is GREAT at radiating heat, takes a while to heat up but holds it better than glass or iron.

Classic Wood Stove

/ Most efficient way to burn wood #16  
If you live near to a pellet mill you are golden. No need to pay for bagged pellets if they get augered into a silo and from there into the furnace. But as soon as you get beyond a certain distance one is sunk. With diesel close to $4.50/gal we can forget about cheap delivery of pellets or coal nowadays.

I initially got a corn burning stove and corn was less than $2 for a 60# bag and all I needed was 1 bag a day = $60/month. Well try again. No sooner did I buy the stove than corn shot up to nearly $10/bushel which was more than I had paid for natural gas previously..... I now have a corn stove sitting in the garage that I sunk over $3000 into.

I do not have any wood available for harvest, but I buy 4 cord a year for $600 total and my winter utility bills run about $70-80/month for the water heater and electricity.

here in the US pellets are WAY more expensive. I think from reading folks with a similar house and climate as me I would need at least one or more bags of pellets a day. I think those bags are $5+/bag! This is even buying buy the pound I think?? I just don't remember its been awhile and I did the math then. They don't deliver pellets by the dump truck full here in the US. I would think that in Europe they would be just as expensive or more, afterall you all buy most of our production of pellets anyway!! My wood is free minus the fuel to gather it and cut it. I have the saw and had it before the stove so you can say I have to figure that in to my cost because I don't I owned it prior and would own it anyway. I have not bought a splitter, I split maybe 20% by hand, the rest I borrow/tradw out work with a friend for use of his splitter so I don't have a cost there. My wood is gathered under a $10/firewood permit so essentially its free.

/ Most efficient way to burn wood #17  
Arrow,

I have an old wood stove, schrader fireplace, long ago I ran out of old trees to cut up, tired of chasing after wood so I tried something new. BoiBricks. They cost about the same as a cord of wood for a pallet but burn about 50% longer for the money. They are made in Berlin Ct. out of wood shavings pressed together very dense . You can find them on line. Good burn time. If I were burning full-time and getting a new stove think I would go with a soapstone they hold the heat and have some great looking stoves.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Most efficient way to burn wood #18  
If you have the opportunity to start from scratch, then take it because everything else is a compromise.

1) orientation of the home = south
2)Do a slab with built in radiant heat.
3) Roof overhang on the south side to block summer sun during the hot part of the day
4) Most glazing (70-80%) on the south and low enough to allow slab to be heated. Little glazing North
5) Use spray foam for air seal, if you can't afford it for full insulation value.
6)Central wood stove with straight chimney in a central location.
7) Great quality windows and doors. Good storm doors help reduce air leakage

Thats my plan. In intend to use concrete block for exterior and interior walls with external rigid insulation including under the slab. Then foam sealed ceiling with sprayed in fiberglass on top. I'm doing a low pitched heavy duty metal roof with deep corrugations that one can walk on comfortably with about a 4 foot overhang on the south and sloping down to the North. North side will be earth bermed. Shop/garage will be on the west.

Dude! This is almost my exact plan as well, that I hope to get building started on this year. Well written post!

Only differences, I was thinking superior walls or solid concrete for my foundation, and would love a masonry stove as the central fireplace (say, tulikivi or temp-cast ish), if we can afford it. While I want to get off-grid eventually, and reduce my carbon footprint, the code name for my home build that keeps popping into my head is: Project: Free Heat.

I sent you a PM.

/ Most efficient way to burn wood #19  
I went with a wood "gasification" boiler & radiant. Very comfy and even heat. But like the other guy's, the best place to start is good orientation for solar gain and an advanced insulation pkg. For 1700 s/f house, a wood boiler might be overkill but if you are planning a garage or shop, it would be a good fit.

/ Most efficient way to burn wood #20  
A friend uses a wood boiler and radiant heat floor, The wood boiler is in the garage. He loves it. - cuts his own firewood. Age the wood at least 2 full years - much more heat. Super insulate. Spread the heat with fans.