More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #1  

PeteN

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020 LS MT357HC
I've been looking at 50+hp tractors all summer and had settled on either a Kubota MX6000 or a Branson 5520H. Today I actually got to see and test drive a LS MT3 tractor (42hp version) and was very impressed. I liked the layout and operation of the controls and found the loader control and HST to be very smooth - almost Kubota like. Both the front and rear axles on the LS are much larger in size and the tractor overall seemed to lay in between the MX and the Branson. I had been leaning toward the Branson for its basic simplicity but after running the other brand tractors I started to notice the rough edges. The Branson uses more mechanical controls and it shows but there's something to be said for simplicity. The Kubota is a Kubota. I'm leaning toward the MT357H and the dealer thinks they can get me one in a few weeks, which is much quicker than any other brand I have been looking at. The LS comes with a few things that are options on the rest and it actually was the lowest in price. Any advice on those who have a MT357H and its strong and weak points? I noticed a couple of things like lower PTO hp (seems to be a bigger spread in power loss from the engine hp to PTO hp than the other tractors), less ground clearance and a smaller displacement 3 cyl engine. Engine seems to run well and smooth off idle but is it more stressed because of its size and layout?

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #2  
I have the MT2 not the MT3 and it has done so much more than I thought it could 109 hours on her now and I still love this tractor.It is built so well!

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor
I had started my quest for a 50+ hp tractor by looking at a NH Boomer 55. I liked it but it sold before I could make a decision. Looks like I have almost gone full circle by looking at the LS line. I don't have a lot of dealers in my area and was a little concerned about the stability of the ones that I do have close by. Dealer support is important to me.

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #4  
I've been looking at 50+hp tractors all summer and had settled on either a Kubota MX6000 or a Branson 5520H. Today I actually got to see and test drive a LS MT3 tractor (42hp version) and was very impressed. I liked the layout and operation of the controls and found the loader control and HST to be very smooth - almost Kubota like. Both the front and rear axles on the LS are much larger in size and the tractor overall seemed to lay in between the MX and the Branson. I had been leaning toward the Branson for its basic simplicity but after running the other brand tractors I started to notice the rough edges. The Branson uses more mechanical controls and it shows but there's something to be said for simplicity. The Kubota is a Kubota. I'm leaning toward the MT357H and the dealer thinks they can get me one in a few weeks, which is much quicker than any other brand I have been looking at. The LS comes with a few things that are options on the rest and it actually was the lowest in price. Any advice on those who have a MT357H and its strong and weak points? I noticed a couple of things like lower PTO hp (seems to be a bigger spread in power loss from the engine hp to PTO hp than the other tractors), less ground clearance and a smaller displacement 3 cyl engine. Engine seems to run well and smooth off idle but is it more stressed because of its size and layout?
Hi Pete,

What price were you quoted? I just got a quote for $32k for the same 42hp HST tractor with loaded tires and delivered.

Where is your LS dealer located?

Yooper Dave

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #5  
I had started my quest for a 50+ hp tractor by looking at a NH Boomer 55. I liked it but it sold before I could make a decision. Looks like I have almost gone full circle by looking at the LS line. I don't have a lot of dealers in my area and was a little concerned about the stability of the ones that I do have close by. Dealer support is important to me.

If I'm not mistaken, that NH Boomer 55 is made by LS for NH. So, you should be able to get the same tractor from LS for less money.

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor
Hi Pete,

What price were you quoted? I just got a quote for $32k for the same 42hp HST tractor with loaded tires and delivered.

Where is your LS dealer located?

Yooper Dave
Village Tractor. I stopped by the one in Appleton. They had a cab version of the 42hp HST that I drove. Didn't get a quote on that one but a ROPS 57hp model was about the same money as you quoted and with the same deal on tires and delivery. Didn't try to haggle - not sure if that is even a thing anymore with the tight supply chain. The store in Appleton is pretty much a sales outlet. I don't think they have enough business in the city to justify a mechanic but they have that capability in the stores north of there. I live about an hour south so that has become one of my biggest concerns. I don't want to drive another hour north to the other stores if the one in Appleton closes.

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #7  
Village Tractor. I stopped by the one in Appleton. They had a cab version of the 42hp HST that I drove. Didn't get a quote on that one but a ROPS 57hp model was about the same money as you quoted and with the same deal on tires and delivery. Didn't try to haggle - not sure if that is even a thing anymore with the tight supply chain. The store in Appleton is pretty much a sales outlet. I don't think they have enough business in the city to justify a mechanic but they have that capability in the stores north of there. I live about an hour south so that has become one of my biggest concerns. I don't want to drive another hour north to the other stores if the one in Appleton closes.
Not LS, but the place I bought my Kioti was that same - a remote office that was closer. The guy who sold me the tractor said he would come pick up the tractor if it needed warranty work and the traveling tech couldn't make it or solve it in the field, no worries. He already offered that once but I solved the problem before he could make it out the next morning, so that was cool. Check with the LS dealer to see if they would do the same?

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #8  
Any advice on those who have a MT357H and its strong and weak points?

I noticed a couple of things like lower PTO hp (seems to be a bigger spread in power loss from the engine hp to PTO hp than the other tractors),

less ground clearance

a smaller displacement 3 cyl engine.

I have the MT357HC and tractor wise I haven't really found a weak point. Engine and PTO power hasn't been an issue.

I'd ask that you look at the brands again because LS doesn't lose more engine to PTO power than the others. They seem to be in line with the other manufacturer's. JD and Massey lose about 14hp and LS is about 12hp.

Ground clearance is always going to be the rear axle. Tough to get around that without taller tires. Certainly haven't run into an issue with ground clearance.

Really look at rear drawbar and PTO distancing as some don't use the standard dimensions. Kubota is one that comes to mind. This can limit PTO drawbar pulled implements. LS meets the standard.

LS uses a 1.9L 3 cylinder diesel and others use a 2.1-2.3L (roughly) 4 cylinder diesel. Displacement wise it's a decent sized engine. The 4 cylinders of Kubota, JD, and Massey will have more torque, smoother running, and should cost more due to the size and added balance shafts. The LS 3 cylinder is capable of easily doubling it's hp numbers as you can find 1.5-1.6L diesels making over 100hp reliably.

Edit:

Couple things I wish was better was loader lift height, center console and steering wheel sit to low.

Mine listed for about $35-36k. A comparable JD 4066R is $59.5k. Now folks will pay less than list but you cannot make up that difference.

Last edited:
   / More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #9  
Ha, made me laugh - I started out looking for a 50 hp Boomer. That was in 2017. I found 2. One looked nice and the other needed new tires, paint, clutch. The nice one was 200 miles away. They were both15 years old an I had saved 15K thinking I could get a good used tractor for that. I couldn't. I passed a orange dealer, told my wife, maybe they have something. I parked and the manager greeted me as I got of the truck and asked me what I was looking for. I told him. No used. He then said let me show you a couple around 50hp. He showed us the L4701. As he was telling us the features, I told him - Hey, I know what this tractor costs. And I am not about to pay that. His reply was What did you think about that Boomer they advertised. I laughed. Then he said, if you give me your 15K down, I think I can get this for $225 a month 60 interest free for 5 years with all insurance. I thanked him and left. in the truck we talked and I thought we had $2k tires + $2.5k clutch split, + what else in repairs - who knows. The deal really sounded like a great option. We went back and bought that 4701. They filled the tires, no charge, delivered it 50 miles for $100, and because we were out of state and they delivered, NO sales tax.
I love that tractor. It fits my needs. As I look back, I could not have made a better decision.
You are doing the right thing. Look at all of them. Find a deal you like. Even if it is not the best deal. My payment has NEVER caused us to struggle. It would been paid off years ago but the insurance only last as long as they carry the loan.

LS, I think is made by TYM. I also think they make Rural King and several others. But I have no experience with them. Another brand that has a lot of comments is Kioti. Hope you find what you like. No one knows when dealers will restock. But it has to happen or a lot of dealers will disappear. BE CERTAIN to buy from a dealer you think will be there in years to come. Hard to tell. I also think most tractors are good if you have a dealer that will help you take care of it.
My dealer is very helpful. He seems to be on first name basis with most customers - including me - And the always responds with an accurate response to help.
A good tractor is a good tractor to different people. Find yours and you will never look back. Best Wishes. sorry for long

Last edited: