Montana 5740 PTO Question

/ Montana 5740 PTO Question #1  

TillerofdaEarth

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Montana 5740 w FEL
Owners manual states that...When PTO selection switch is placed in "AUTO" position, if you press the main clutch pedal or the "hydraulic position control lever" moves up the arranged position during operation, the PTO will not rotate.

Any dealers know what the "Arranged" position is?

The reason I ask is, that with my rotary mower hooked to the 3 point, the only way the "Auto" position of the PTO will work, is if I back over a ditch, allowing the mower and 3 point arms to drop to their lowest point, the PTO will then engage. Raise the 3 point just a touch and the PTO disengages.

I don't understand the logic of this set up. The "AUTO" position is basically worthless for pulling a mower, snow blower or running a post hole digger, if it will only engage with the lift arms at their lowest position. I could understand, if the PTO disengaged as the lift arms approached or reached full lift position.

The "independent" PTO selection works fine.

I thought maybe there was a switch on the 3 point lift cylinder that could be adjusted, but, my dealer spoke with a Montana service rep who told him this is how the "AUTO" PTO works on the larger "CUT's".

Any other 5740 operators noticed this as well?

I guess the "AUTO" position is only good for running some kind of PTO driven pump, with the lift arms have to set to their lowest position, where they would interfere with any drawbar pulled equipment..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Montana 5740 PTO Question #2  
I can see a real advantage, when , for example, using a disc mower for cutting hay, you hit an unexpected object and need to stop AND shut down the pto quickly, at the same time-----all you have to do is push the clutch pedal and hit the brakes----could potentially save hundreds of dollars in damage to the mower.

dancce

/ Montana 5740 PTO Question
I agree with what you said dannce, but with a disc mower attached, the 3 point arms would not be down enough to allow the PTO to engage in the "Auto" mode.

The 3 point arms have to be at the total bottom end of their travel for the PTO to engage in "Auto" mode.

/ Montana 5740 PTO Question #4  
You might want to try to "shorten" the side links then lower the 3 point to bring it back to your normal height. This will allow the lift arms to remain at the same height while lowering the upper lift arms to drop slightly,this might give you more tolerance for the "Auto" mode to perform better for your application - Have a great New year

/ Montana 5740 PTO Question #5  
Tiller,

I don't have the problem you seem to be having. I agree that the mower will only run with the clutch "out", but as long as I'm steadily mowing, that's not a problem. I found the "auto" position very handy when running a post hole digger too. I must admit though, for my own preferance, I use the "independent" position when mowing most of the time.

Unclebuck,

If you have a chance, would you see which hole in the side links is being used to attach them to the lower lift arms on your tractor. There are three fixed and one slotted hole on each side link that could be used. Currently, mine are utilizing the center fixed hole.

Shifty mentioned shortening the side links which I could do by moving to the top hole in the side links, which might work, but if yours are not in the top hole then it will confirm my problem.

I too, thought that the "Auto" PTO mode would be great for running a post hole digger, but the way it's working right now I would only be able to use the "Independent" position.

/ Montana 5740 PTO Question #7  
Tiller,

Will do and get back to you this afternoon. I'm on my way out right now.

/ Montana 5740 PTO Question #8  
Tiller,

Just got back and on my way in I checked. Mine are in the CENTER hole too. Call me if you want any further info for comparison. PM me and I'll give you my phone #.

Thanks for the info UncleB. Looking like I may indeed have a problem. Hopefully it will be some kind of minor adjustment to a valve or switch.

Sent ya a PM.

/ Montana 5740 PTO Question #10  
Got your PMs and will give you a call later this afternoon.