Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw?

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #51  
Well, my favorite saw is the 028WB I bought in the 60's. Stihl only made it for 2 years. Its heavier than a MS saw because it has very little plastic on it, just the top cover, everything else is magnesium alloy. It's an RPM saw and pulls a 20" bar with 404 just fine and it has the heated handle too. Second is the 075 I own. It's a tank (bucking saw). sounds like a motorcross bike and pulls a 5 foot buddy bar with 404 square tooth chipper on it. Always wanted an 090G, never bought one however. Bought the 075 in the 60's as well, back when I owned a tree removal company in Ohio.

I use the WB all the time. The 75 is drained of pre mix (dried up) and sits on a shelf. Might sell it someday, I hear the are very collectable.

Bought a 700 dollar Stihl top handle arborist saw last year, used it one time and it went back. Gutless piece of crap.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #52  
I have a hard time trusting anyones opinion that raves about a 291. The 029/290/291 have always been overpriced, overweight, underpowered turds. Just like the 455 rancher "box"-store husqvarna's.

Good homeowner/rancher saw because they are reliable and durable. But about the bottom of the barrel in terms of weight/performance in its displacement class.

Never heard of a husky 361 either? Typo?
I think I meant to say 372.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion- is the 291 the best saw I’ve ever run? Nope- the 261 outperforms it in power and weight but it’s not night and day difference. Perhaps you’ve never run a well set up one?

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #53  
I think I meant to say 372.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion- is the 291 the best saw I’ve ever run? Nope- the 261 outperforms it in power and weight but it’s not night and day difference. Perhaps you’ve never run a well set up one?
Yes well setup. I know a ting or two about saws;)

Are they better than a little craftsman or poulan box store saw....yup. Are they good for a farmer or rancher clearing some fencerows....yup. But for the size and heft of the saw, in the 55-60cc category....they are heavier than most, and lack power.

I dont imagine there would be a night and day difference with the 261. IT only has 5% more power (and its 5cc smaller). But its also 15% lighter.

The 362 is a pound lighter and 25% more power. As are about all of the 55-60cc offerings in a good pro saw.

I can quote specs all day to prove my point. Dont take it personal. The 291 is a fine saw that targets a specific market.....and that market isnt someone who cuts 30+ cord of wood a year or makes a living with a saw. So when someone raves about how great the 291 is....kinda makes me chuckle....as would anyone who as actually ran a profession grade saw, like a 362, 441, or any husky xp saws, or dolmar's, etc.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #54  
I've had the same opinion of my Husky 55. A beast for 20 years w/ no problems until (I think) an air leak cooked it last year. Or maybe it was just age. Nothing a new piston and top end couldn't fix (for about 1/4 the price of a new saw). Viola! Now it's a new saw again. Hope to get another 20 years out of it.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #55  
Stihl using the 024AV my Dad got in the early 1980's. Has been a great saw.

But, I want a MS461 to go with it :D

I do have a couple Husky's that work great, but my typical go to is that 024; just really like the balance of it.

My wife has a Husky sewing machine that's great :D She got it before the division was spun off.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #56  
Husky and stihl make great saws… it’s like Ford and Chevy but I myself would steer clear of the Lowe’s husky’s.
Agreed except for the 545MK2, carried by some stores. That's a real pro Husky saw. The rest are "homeowner" saws. It's hard to do the comparison between homeowner and pro except once a person runs a pro saw, they know the difference.

I have a hard time trusting anyones opinion that raves about a 291. The 029/290/291 have always been overpriced, overweight, underpowered turds. Just like the 455 rancher "box"-store husqvarna's.

Good homeowner/rancher saw because they are reliable and durable. But about the bottom of the barrel in terms of weight/performance in its displacement class.

Never heard of a husky 361 either? Typo?

Good point. When I was getting started in saws, I wanted a couple "professional" Stihls, having believed the hype that if it was sold in a big box store it was junk. I left with a pair of saws recommended by the saw guy from Ace, a MS251 "Wood Boss" and a MS290 "Farm Boss". The 251 is an OK little runner, but the 290 is an overweight pig lacking in any torque. They're both junk saws to me.

I decided to try a different angle and bought a pair of Echo's - CS352 and a CS590. What a difference! These saws run circles around the Stihl pair such that I bought a CS501p and CS7301p to complete the quartet. Great saws and I'm sold on Echo products.

Recently I acquired a lineup of Husqvarnas - 545MK2 and 562XP. The 545 runs excellent, plenty of power and revs up quickly. I haven't yet cut with the 562XP.

I've since learned the value of a professional, dedicated saw shop and would highly recommend any saw purchases come from one.

/ Modern equal to mythical Stihl 026 chainsaw? #57  
My aluminum case stripped at the left side pivot bolt hole that holds the kick-back brake lever. I have tried an aluminum thread repair epoxy that the Stihl dealer suggested, but it only held the tiny threads for a few hours and then I was back to a flopping around, non functional safety brake. This saw doesn't have thousands of hours on it, as we do firewood duty maybe 20 hours running time a year. Other than that I use the saw as storm blow down trees that end up crossing into yard. It gets a good bit of time sitting in the garage not seeing sunlight for months... But I know that the safety is compromised, and even with light homeowner use over 27 years it will likely fail at some point. I'm sure that if I were a tree guy as a profession that even a Stihl saw would wear out in just a few years of daily use....

Is Husky Husqvara, is that something else? The only "Husky" equipment I've known was very cheesy looking light duty yard tractors sold at retail stores.
I've fixed those with Key-Serts but be careful drilling.