Model 1450 Cub Cadet

/ Model 1450 Cub Cadet #1  

brianMO

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T330 w/ lt300 loader
I just purchased a home out in the country. They through in the Cub Cadet in the barn. They said it had some problems. It came with a lawn vacuum attachment, blade, and chains. I found that the electric PTO was not working. I found a broken wire. The only problem left is leaking oil badly. 1 hour equal about a quart! I cannot see where it is coming from. With the covers off you still cannot see. It looks as if I will need to pull the motor. It seems to leak only when running. Any ideas? I know that the owner before me changed the oil pan. Is it possible he slipped a gasket? Also if it was the gasket would it leaking just sitting? Feedback on this would be great!

Brian
Missouri

/ Model 1450 Cub Cadet #2  
i would bet anything the gasket for the oil pan isn't holding the oil when under pressure. he must not have put it on properly. if its not coming out of the exhaust is should be a gasket. it would be worth replacing the gasket the 1450 is a darn good mower.

/ Model 1450 Cub Cadet #3  
Brian, other than the pan, it could possibly leak from the front or rear crankshaft seal. The four mounting bolts that mount the engine to the rails actually screw into the aluminum oil pan so the engine would have to be pulled to remove the pan. Another problem leak point on the 1450 is the seal between the hydrostatic transmission and differential. If you see reddish colored oil dripping off the bottom it could be from it.

/ Model 1450 Cub Cadet
I am pretty sure it is engine oil. I know that the previous owner changed the pan for some reason. He said it was leaking when he got done. He said he didn't know what he could have done wrong. I know that it is dribbling at the drivers side onto the front suspension. It is coming from the lower corner of the motor. How hard is it to pull the motor?

Brian

/ Model 1450 Cub Cadet #5  
It's been awhile but you have to disconnect the drive shaft which involves driving out a roll pin or two. Remove the front sheet metal and aluminum shroud around the exhaust system. Remove wires and cables to the starter, coil etc. Shutoff the fuel and disconnect hose from the carburetor. Remove the four bolts going through the 2 support rails into the oil pan. You should then be able to lift the engine with a suitable hoist or probably 2 people could lift it.

Bob B.

/ Model 1450 Cub Cadet #6  
I have a 1250 Cub. Same mower as mine. Mine is 12 hp, yours is 14hp.

Here is what I think might have happened. Your oil pan gasket might be broken. If he used RTV (silicon sealant) along with the gasket, and you torque the bolts down BEFORE the sealant is set up, then the gasket is squeezed right out of the joint. This very thing happened to me yesterday when I replaced the gasket on the transmission cover on my Cub. It ruined the gasket. So I had to use the old one. I was very careful the next time and it did not leak one drop.

One other possibility is the front or rear crankshaft seal is badly worn and leaks when the engine runs. Another poster mentioned this and it, too is a real possibility. Either problem is fixable.

The bottom line is this.
You can fix an oil leak. Just find it and seal it up.
The 1450 Cub is an excellent mower. That Kohler is an excellent engine. You did good!
Do not give that mower away or get discouraged with it. Once it is repaired it should give you many years of quality mowing. If you dont want the hassel of repairing, then take it to the shop and get someone else to fix it. You'll be glad you did.

Tell us, what does the hour meter say? It may tell us if its a pan gasket or a front gasket...I mean, a front gasket often goes bad after 1000-1500+ hours of use. If the hours on the mower is less than 6-800 hrs, then its likely the pan gasket.

obtw, the Kohler service manual says, quote: "....It is important that a new gasket be used to prevent oil leakage." Hmmm. Maybe he used the old gasket......

dwight

/ Model 1450 Cub Cadet #7  
Brian,
I own a 1450 for 14 years,I cut two acres of grass/weeds upstate New York. The machine is bullet proof.Don't let it go you've got the brass ring in lawn tractors. Your problem may be a leak at the valve inspection plate.(under the carb.)These plates tend to bend as you put more pressure on the nut. If this is your problem,buy a new plate (about $8.00) and two new gaskets.While you have it apart reverse the reed valve so the new side is facing the valve seat.(Breather valve)