Mobile welding table

/ Mobile welding table
Yes I’ve used those type of cutters at work before and they do speed things up a lot. Do the ones in your link fit a regular 3 jaw drill chuck? I think the loaner has a chuck with 5/8 capacity. And yes I’ve crawled around on the floor enough building stuff in the past. It will be nice to stand up for my next build :cool2:

/ Mobile welding table #12  
"Do the ones in your link fit a regular 3 jaw drill chuck?"

Nope, sorry; those and the majority of annular cutters use the (for mag drills, anyway) "standard" Weldon chuck, 3/4" diameter with two flats/set screws - it's a more rigid mount, and deep annular cutters do NOT like side-loading - they tend to shatter with too much wobble. This
G&J Hall Tools 18Y17 Powerbor Weldon Chuck Adaptor, 1/2"-2 UN Thread Fitting, 3/4" Arbor, For All Electromagnetic Drilling Systems: Drill Press Accessories: Amazon.com: Home Improvement
is what the cutter shanks look like, the female of that is the norm for most mag drills.

Your loaner drill sounds like it has the (normally extra cost) 3-jaw chuck on it, might wanna ask if the Weldon mount is available for it if you're interested - maybe if the owner has that he'd be interested in gaining a cutter for the use of it. If there's TOO much "monkey-motion" involved tho, it might not be worth it to either of you :confused:

Sorry if I seem to be pushing spendy stuff, I just got hooked after trying too long to drill too big holes with hand drills - so far, my mag drill has its own "drilling station" I built, capable of drilling a 1-1/2" hole in a 2" square block of steel if I needed to. It'll also drill evenly spaced holes (has its own x-y table) over 12" distance per setup, drill exactly centered holes in square tube up to 3", and probably a dozen other things I've yet to dream up for it (including eventually building a line bore setup to re-bush parts of my backhoe) - at this time I've picked up cutters from 1/2" up to 1-1/2", including a few metrics; all in 2" depth of cut.

DSCN2017.JPGXY-Use-1.jpgXY-Use-5.jpgXY-Use-6.jpgXY-Use-8.jpgXY-Use-9.jpgDSCN2754.JPGDSCN2972.JPG

Did I mention I'm addicted??!? :laughing:...Steve

/ Mobile welding table #13  
Very nice! I fully understand how much of a difference it makes to have a good table to work on. Before building mine early this year I spent too may years crawling around on the driveway or using a piece of plywood on sawhorses.

/ Mobile welding table #14  
"Do the ones in your link fit a regular 3 jaw drill chuck?"

Nope, sorry; those and the majority of annular cutters use the (for mag drills, anyway) "standard" Weldon chuck, 3/4" diameter with two flats/set screws - it's a more rigid mount, and deep annular cutters do NOT like side-loading - they tend to shatter with too much wobble. This
G&J Hall Tools 18Y17 Powerbor Weldon Chuck Adaptor, 1/2"-2 UN Thread Fitting, 3/4" Arbor, For All Electromagnetic Drilling Systems: Drill Press Accessories: Amazon.com: Home Improvement
is what the cutter shanks look like, the female of that is the norm for most mag drills.

Your loaner drill sounds like it has the (normally extra cost) 3-jaw chuck on it, might wanna ask if the Weldon mount is available for it if you're interested - maybe if the owner has that he'd be interested in gaining a cutter for the use of it. If there's TOO much "monkey-motion" involved tho, it might not be worth it to either of you :confused:

Sorry if I seem to be pushing spendy stuff, I just got hooked after trying too long to drill too big holes with hand drills - so far, my mag drill has its own "drilling station" I built, capable of drilling a 1-1/2" hole in a 2" square block of steel if I needed to. It'll also drill evenly spaced holes (has its own x-y table) over 12" distance per setup, drill exactly centered holes in square tube up to 3", and probably a dozen other things I've yet to dream up for it (including eventually building a line bore setup to re-bush parts of my backhoe) - at this time I've picked up cutters from 1/2" up to 1-1/2", including a few metrics; all in 2" depth of cut.

View attachment 573138View attachment 573139View attachment 573140View attachment 573141View attachment 573142View attachment 573143View attachment 573144View attachment 573145

Did I mention I'm addicted??!? :laughing:...Steve

Very nice table! The next one I build will be patterned on yours. Not to change the subject, but your mag drill set up is sweet! Explain how you did that, as far as the vise and where did you get the movable XY carriage. I think that would be very useful.
I need to drill 50 holes in-line over an 84” long piece.

/ Mobile welding table
Got top drilled and tapped so I could mount my vise. And radiused the corners. Nice to have a home for my vintage Holland痴 vise:). Plasma cutter fits on shelf well and I will add some hooks etc so I can hang grinders clamps etc.

Attachments

• A0C986E8-FCA3-4AAD-8134-3891A6DDFF74.jpeg
    A0C986E8-FCA3-4AAD-8134-3891A6DDFF74.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 141
  • 0F61FAB8-0E7B-41FD-9F2D-119A5AC81D61.jpeg
    0F61FAB8-0E7B-41FD-9F2D-119A5AC81D61.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 130
  • F65E4D89-CCEC-40BB-A468-CEE7D7B234B2.jpeg
    F65E4D89-CCEC-40BB-A468-CEE7D7B234B2.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 150
  • 371930E2-E419-43F0-8F46-5DE18FADB224.jpeg
    371930E2-E419-43F0-8F46-5DE18FADB224.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 138
   / Mobile welding table #16  
Nice work. And pretty hard not to love that vise.

/ Mobile welding table
Thanks. Yes the vise was made in my home town. It’s unfortunate that no one really makes quality Stull like that anymore that will last several lifetimes. I was buying a jack from a friend who’s dad had passed away. I spotted the vise and asked what he was doing with that. He offered it to me for $10! Needless to say I couldn’t unbolt it from the bench it was mounted to fast enough. Should serve me for the rest of my life and then be in the auction when I die for someone else to use:laughing:

/ Mobile welding table #18  
That痴 a great idea. I知 borrowing a magnetic drill press this weekend to drill and tap the the mounting holes for the vise. While I知 at it I値l lay out some more like you suggest and do those while I have use of it. Will certainly come in handy. Thanks for the idea!

Nice Table. Very similar to mine. I used the smaller receiver hitch system for my vise (s). Pretty quick to change positions or like you stated. Remove completely. I have 10 locations.

/ Mobile welding table #19  
I have a few vises receiver mounted also.

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

Most though are permanently bolted to a bench.

Don’t know what your Holland weighs but maybe it’s too heavy to receiver mount? That’s the case with my Reed. At 157 pounds I’m just too wimpy to be rasslin’ with it.
IMG_2465.JPG

/ Mobile welding table
Nice setup. Not sure what the Holland weighs but I’d guess around 50 lbs. heavy enough that I plan to keep it right where it’s at unless I need the whole bench surface. I do like your pipe vise setup. I also have an old Holland pipe vise that I haven’t used in years. I’ll have to dig that out and come up with a way to mount that.