Minnesota to try and ban gas powered equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Minnesota to try and ban gas powered equipment #91  
I went through forester that specializes in deer habitat. He put bids out for hardwoods and pulp and brought each offer back to me. I'm not experienced enough in the industry to fo it on myself.

Every 5 years he will be coming out and seeing if any changes will need to be made as more trees grow etc.

The guys ideas were amazing. Have deer all over now.

/ Minnesota to try and ban gas powered equipment #92  
Every state legislature always has a few members who introduce wacky legislation every year. And most of this legislation doesn’t make it out of committee, much less being passed by the full body. I put this in that category.
I thought the same thing a few years ago about a Washington State proposal to ban ICEs. I thought, never happen, the eastern part of the state is too rural. Surely the legislature can see that EVs with long distances and large elevation changes won't work there, especially in winter. Oh, how wrong I was, the ban on new ICE powered vehicles goes into effect as early as 2030 and no later than 2035.

/ Minnesota to try and ban gas powered equipment #93  
Breaking down didn't bother me. I was a heavy mechanic for 24 years before I went a different route 10 years ago, I know how it goes with costs, parts availability etc.

What made us mad was no communication. It's MI, don't just show up 3 days into hunting season. They had my number and my wife's. All they had to do was call once in a while and give updates, my wife would have slept in that morning. I was trying to get ahold of them about every other day for about 2 months.

Then their truck driver flipped their pup trailer on our road/ two track. Got into it with him, he was trying to blame me after he admitted to going to fast and he caught the shoulder. Sucked that thing right in.

Then they collapsed one of our covert openings. I had them marked with stakes and paint and they put a stack right on top of it. Road flooded and said we had to fix the culvert. That didn't go over well, corporate said they would take care of it.

It was an experience dealing with that mill.
No excuse for that kind of behavior.
Hate to say it, but there’s quite a lot of that type of behavior in the rough trades like logging and farming.
I have replaced a few of the rougher contractors and farmers in my area that have started a job for a property owner and have been shown the door for improper technique, behavior, performance or lack thereof.

/ Minnesota to try and ban gas powered equipment #94  
I thought the same thing a few years ago about a Washington State proposal to ban ICEs. I thought, never happen, the eastern part of the state is too rural. Surely the legislature can see that EVs with long distances and large elevation changes won't work there, especially in winter. Oh, how wrong I was, the ban on new ICE powered vehicles goes into effect as early as 2030 and no later than 2035.
It will be interesting to see how they are going to enforce that. I don’t think they can.

/ Minnesota to try and ban gas powered equipment #95  
View attachment 784946

This feller sat in this same spot for a couple months. Kept breaking down and they would fix it and break again.

They were supposed to be done in middle summer, all of a sudden they just disappeared, equipment was still there just no workers. 3rd day of hunting season, wife sitting in her ground blind and sure as crap, here comes the pulp mill. She went ballistic on them. They wouldn't answer our calls or call us back all fall to let us know the status of work, etc.
Sounds like your logging contract was written by the pulp mill company and not a forester. When we write timber sale contracts, there are strict administration provisions, and if the contractor doesn’t abide by the provisions or attempt to remedy problems that are identified by the landowner, the contractor is considered in breach of contract and sent packing.

/ Minnesota to try and ban gas powered equipment #96  
It will be interesting to see how they are going to enforce that. I don’t think they can.
Lots of folks here live between 2500 to 4500 feet, the valleys, where the stores and services are located are at 1000 feet and often 30 or more miles away. People here will be travelling to Idaho to buy new vehicles when the ban goes into effect or rebuilding their old ones.

/ Minnesota to try and ban gas powered equipment #97  
Lots of folks here live between 2500 to 4500 feet, the valleys, where the stores and services are located are at 1000 feet and often 30 or more miles away. People here will be travelling to Idaho to buy new vehicles when the ban goes into effect or rebuilding their old ones.
That’s what I think.

/ Minnesota to try and ban gas powered equipment #98  
Simple, refuse to register them. I am NOT a fan of this legislation forcing folks to buy something they don't want, can't afford and does nothing to help the cause.

/ Minnesota to try and ban gas powered equipment #99  
Simple, refuse to register them. I am NOT a fan of this legislation forcing folks to buy something they don't want, can't afford and does nothing to help the cause.
Don't give them any ideas. You have to wonder though how that will play out in real life if the ban goes into effect. Even if Idaho allows ICE sales, I wonder how the dealers will allocate vehicles given that Idaho is a very sparsely populated state. They may just deal with it regionally which would put less populated states behind the 8 ball.
I'm in a similar situation here...a couple of our neighboring states have already stated they'll also institute ICE bans.

I'm with you though on being opposed to legislation like that. If EVs are really the way of the future, let them get there on their own merits, not some mandate forcing us to buy them.

/ Minnesota to try and ban gas powered equipment #100  
The big question is...

Why would oil and gas companies want to invest in new production when there is a concerted effort to regulate them out of existence.

We will get that $6-7 dollar gas...then a few years later we will get those huge electric bills.

This is not how free market capitalism works.

Status
Not open for further replies.