Mini trucks

/ Mini trucks #1  

MSU 21

Tractor
Kubota 3901
Does anyone have experience with the mini trucks? How are the in mud? Do the rut as bad or worse than a UTV?

/ Mini trucks #2  
A UTV is lighter. UTV has 4 wheel lock and mini trucks have differentials that are open. Would be like comparing a WW2 jeep to a side x side. But I worked at Polaris and saw them leave out with a cab and doors for $46,000.00 all day long.

I work at a farm a good bit. They have a Honda pioneer, quit and pulled to the side. A 2021 Polaris, quit and pulled to the side. I've been rolling over that whole place in a $500.00 Expedition for a few years now. Good glass and interior, no dents, cold AC and warm heat. Loaded with tools. Hit 200,000 miles last year. Ain't spent a dime on it other than gas and a little oil now and then. Never changed the oil.

For what I do, a mini truck would be just fine. How are they in the mud? Well, if you even need to ask that, probably should get a UTV. I don't play in the mud. I avoid mud if possible. We might get stuck now and then, but its pulling a16' disc, or an 8' offset disc, and the offset one is the worse of the two. We usually keep the big 4x4 tractor free if there is any question about things. We also have a log skidder with a winch but have never used it to pull a tractor out.

We also have a side x side. It's handy. But when you lock both ends up, I can't see a mini truck hanging with that in any shape, form, or fashion. We only used the true 4x4 when first purchased. When it's cold and drizzly bone chilling, you may prefer a cab with creature comforts. So I guess, think of what all you'll be doing with it, and decide what's best for you. I have seen mini trucks with ATV tires on all 4 corners and those guys kept them trucks and still have them. A crew cab mini with 4x4 and a tow bar would be the bomb for me.

/ Mini trucks
I’m not a mudder. I am like you I try to avoid it. In mud does a mini rut less or more than a utv. When I rut I fix it.

Last edited:
   / Mini trucks #4  
I’m not a mudder. I am like you I try to avoid it. In mud does a mini rut less or more than a utv
Rutting is basically weight to tire size. So if the mini truck is heavier, but you put ATV tires on it to lower the ground impedance ... Kinda like a 3/4 ton full size truck with 28L skidder tires on it hardly ruts at all. So if you can get a mini truck cheaper, buy tires and still be cheaper, may be the way to go. I've bought several sets of take offs at the dealers. Usually 100 a set. Our sxs gets 3500 mi a year put on it. Never bought new tires, always used ones.

/ Mini trucks #5  
I bought my mini 3 years ago and its the most useful piece of equipment I own after the B26. I can carry logs, gravel and a mountain of branches. I carry 2000 lbs of water in that thing with no problems. No more dumping half the bucket of dirt on the ground. Got a closed cab with heat and AC. If you plan to go offroad get one with a rear difflock like me. Stock they dont articulate well so off camber offroad is not their strength. In some states you can even hit the road with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200830_151014115_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200830_151014115_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 161
   / Mini trucks #6  
We used them for EMS quick response vehicles at large events like NASCAR, NHRA, and motocross races. They worked well. Did require more maintenance than the JD Gators or Kawasaki Mules. Offroad in the wet or muddy environments they tended to get bogged down from the heavier weight, hence the Gators and Mules.

1657210935989.jpeg

/ Mini trucks #7  
I like them and I would have one if they were appropriately priced. But they're so expensive.

/ Mini trucks #8  
Like everything else imported in small numbers from Japan and China, they are a lot cheaper on the West Coast, and a lot cheaper if you don't buy them through a middleman (importer).

But the cheapest of all is when you buy a broken one from someone who's given up on it and then fix it. Not for everyone, but that's the cheapest way into most things.

If i were buying one it would have to be one with diff lock, AC, and a dump bed. That might be a rarer or more expensive combination but it's also what it takes to justify one (its ac for me, probably heat which is a lot more common, for a lot of yall) vs just.. a glorified golf cart, or a UTV, or a Ford Ranger etc which in certain cases can all be cheaper just because they're more available.

/ Mini trucks #9  
I much prefer these mini trucks. Tough as nails and never break.

We took them up to the cabin last week. They just go and go anywhere at that
20220626_095554.jpg

/ Mini trucks #10  
I have one. I never use it. Gets stuck to easily. Doesnt get hot in tennessee. Sucks on the road.

In the pasture I just use my tractor if I am doing work, sxs for fun and truck on the road.