MF431 front spindle

/ MF431 front spindle #1  

LJO

Tractor
Massey 431
Hello everyone new guy here. Have a low hour tractor that's useless until I can get front spindle replaced. Dealer says don't make em anymore and every salvage yard says nope. Getting frustrated have round bales to move and sell. Might have to start looking at different models for a replacement.

/ MF431 front spindle #2  
Dear LJO -- that 431 is not a very old tractor in the overall scheme of things. I have trouble believing that MF does not still stock parts for the MF431 made in the years 2004-2006. There are service help places like Ask AGCO and parts contacts for AGCO that the dealer should pass on to you no matter whether they have already tried or not. It was/is a 2WD tractor so the front spindle is not all that complex. What is the nature of the break ? (it is broken right?) Some reason you can't have it welded and repaired? I broke the spindle on a 1954 MH Pacer when I was 15 years old (1958...) and had it welded and it is still good today. Among salvage yards have you tried Wengers of Myersdale PA? Where are you located?

/ MF431 front spindle #3  
massey still lists the arms as available 1669837314376.png
1669837314376.png

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / MF431 front spindle
Dear LJO -- that 431 is not a very old tractor in the overall scheme of things. I have trouble believing that MF does not still stock parts for the MF431 made in the years 2004-2006. There are service help places like Ask AGCO and parts contacts for AGCO that the dealer should pass on to you no matter whether they have already tried or not. It was/is a 2WD tractor so the front spindle is not all that complex. What is the nature of the break ? (it is broken right?) Some reason you can't have it welded and repaired? I broke the spindle on a 1954 MH Pacer when I was 15 years old (1958...) and had it welded and it is still good today. Among salvage yards have you tried Wengers of Myersdale PA? Where are you located?
You would think being a 2005 this wouldn't be an issue. The bearings came apart and the hub wore out a section of the spindle where the front bearings go. I don't know if that could be successfully welded so that the bearings will roll smoothly over that area. I have tried google and all the yards that come up. I can check the one in PA. I even tried looking for a salvaged 431.I'm in TX. I've already spent considerable time calling yards etc. the ask agco yet is a resource worth checking out.

Attachments

• 20221130_181846.jpg
    20221130_181846.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
   / MF431 front spindle #5  
You would think being a 2005 this wouldn't be an issue. The bearings came apart and the hub wore out a section of the spindle where the front bearings go. I don't know if that could be successfully welded so that the bearings will roll smoothly over that area. I have tried google and all the yards that come up. I can check the one in PA. I even tried looking for a salvaged 431.I'm in TX. I've already spent considerable time calling yards etc. the ask agco yet is a resource worth checking out.
That can be fixed by a machine shop/welder..
They would try to weld as is or just cut it off and weld a new stud with threads on.

/ MF431 front spindle #6  
I agree with Redtop -- but is anything else ruined? Do you have or can you get the bearings and rest of the assembly ? Certainly a good machine shop can rebuild that pictured part but they may also be able to simply make you one. Looks like it was probably made on a metal lathe. Let your experienced machinist speak to those issues but be sure you have ALL the damaged parts and present the entire picture. Good luck. From a cost standpoint I'd still beat the bushes a little harder on used parts -- Wengers in PA is one of the largest and are often quite good about pointing you to other sources if they do not have one.

If there is nothing else major wrong, I think Redtop may have the easiest (and probably not very costly) solution in cutting off the tip and welding a on new one having been threaded by the machinist. I don't think we are talking high precision here, just fit and function.

/ MF431 front spindle #7  
E-commerce dealers show it as backordered, $344. if they could get. They are still available in Europe, €252., but definitely could be repaired.

/ MF431 front spindle #8  
Have you tried posting a free "want to buy" ad on TractorHouse..?? There are a lot of salvage yards that sell parts through that site that don't show, or list there. Open this link https://www.tractorhouse.com/ then look far right top of page and open. You'll need to register, give contact info, describe part you're looking for along with the OEM part number. I've gotten quite a few hard to find parts this way.

I've had them contact me by phone in as little as an hour, or up to 36 hours later. I learned to give it the 36 hours as prices and shipping can differ a lot. But pretty sure they have a satisfaction guarantee on the parts. I've been well satisfied with what I've gotten. Only takes about 10 minutes to register and fill out the form. Sure better than playing phone tag.

• Good Post
Reactions: LJO
   / MF431 front spindle #9  
I agree, independent machine shop can pix that. Or depending on how that spindle comes apart....possibly just make a new one?

IS there a picture showing how the spindle is attached? Is it welded to the vertical member?

/ MF431 front spindle
I agree with Redtop -- but is anything else ruined? Do you have or can you get the bearings and rest of the assembly ? Certainly a good machine shop can rebuild that pictured part but they may also be able to simply make you one. Looks like it was probably made on a metal lathe. Let your experienced machinist speak to those issues but be sure you have ALL the damaged parts and present the entire picture. Good luck. From a cost standpoint I'd still beat the bushes a little harder on used parts -- Wengers in PA is one of the largest and are often quite good about pointing you to other sources if they do not have one.

If there is nothing else major wrong, I think Redtop may have the easiest (and probably not very costly) solution in cutting off the tip and welding a on new one having been threaded by the machinist. I don't think we are talking high precision here, just fit and function.
Nothing else ruined but the bearings I was able to pickthose up at auto parts store. I'm going to run it down to the weld shop tomorrow and see what they have to say.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR