MF1739E versus 1742 help with decision

/ MF1739E versus 1742 help with decision #11  
Hey Unclewilley, I have owned a 1739E since last August . This tractor for the size and cost has served me extremely well. I went with the gear drive vs hydro. Mine has the pin on bucket. No rear remotes. Dealer quotes me $1400.00 for front and rear remotes. as far as snow blowing I have no idea. I just use the front loader. I till with a 65' tiller, plow with a 2 bottom 14" plow, bush hog large and small acreage, grade long and short driveways, spread stone, and grade private property yards for landscaping. I have had zero problems or wished I had a larger tractor. I have compared both to each other last Tuesday while at the dealer just nibbin around and the 1742 has bigger tires and a bigger frame for my use I am happy with my choice. I was more economy based with my choice as I didn't need all the premium gadgets. If I would have had the fortune- hit a lottery- I can say yes the 1742 would be in the barn. How much do you want to spend? good luck with your choice.

/ MF1739E versus 1742 help with decision
Hey Unclewilley, I have owned a 1739E since last August . This tractor for the size and cost has served me extremely well. I went with the gear drive vs hydro. Mine has the pin on bucket. No rear remotes. Dealer quotes me $1400.00 for front and rear remotes. as far as snow blowing I have no idea. I just use the front loader. I till with a 65' tiller, plow with a 2 bottom 14" plow, bush hog large and small acreage, grade long and short driveways, spread stone, and grade private property yards for landscaping. I have had zero problems or wished I had a larger tractor. I have compared both to each other last Tuesday while at the dealer just nibbin around and the 1742 has bigger tires and a bigger frame for my use I am happy with my choice. I was more economy based with my choice as I didn't need all the premium gadgets. If I would have had the fortune- hit a lottery- I can say yes the 1742 would be in the barn. How much do you want to spend? good luck with your choice.

Thanks a lot for the info. Suspect I only "need" a 1739E, the big kid in me would like the 1742 frills :)
Have you used your tractor to dig/grade any "ditches"? I have about a 1,000 ft. ditch that drains water from the back of our property that I need to keep clear and would like to smooth the sides so I stop getting my ZTR mower stuck. I have seen videos of using a box blade at an angle. Any suggestions?

/ MF1739E versus 1742 help with decision #13  
I have made drain ditches using a box blade as you mentioned. Yes you can angle 1 side up or down depending on which side of the drain you start on. Have you any experience with a box blade? You can also use a rear grader blade that has the tilt function to it. I have on several occasions used my box blade at a tilt to fill in washed out gravel driveways. The wash out water usually finds the lowest side of the drive going down hill. so many people around here do not build or maintain a proper drive but that is another thread. U tube videos are a great learning tool . Watch a lot so you can filter the bad ones and then you will have your own learning experiences. Heck that's why a lot of us have tractors and implements -TO PLAY WITH-...

/ MF1739E versus 1742 help with decision #14  
I have 1742. Purchased it a couple of months ago. I have been very impressed with it plenty of power at the pto and the ground. not to sound too superficial but the ugly headlights on the 1739e are enough of a reason to get the 1742. As moss down said the 1742 is a larger tractor frame and larger wheels.

Does that price include rim guard in the tires? I got mine with one rear remote, loaded tires fel with had bucket for $29k and change. Seems like you might be able to do a bit better on the price. Have fun no matter which model you go with.

/ MF1739E versus 1742 help with decision #15  
I owned a 2007 1540 with the Powershuttle and now own a 2013 1643 with Hydro. Obviously, both are "premium" tractors. My dad owns a John Deere 850 (22hp) that has an 8x2 tranny. It's a good, solid tractor that has served us well for 35 years, but the added features and niceties of the Masseys set them apart.

It's your money, you spend it as you see fit. Having said that, now that I've experienced "premium" tractors, I don't think I would go back to economy models. Over the course of 15, 20, 30 years, the extra money spent on them will seem like chicken scratch.

/ MF1739E versus 1742 help with decision #16  
SSQA and extra lift capacity are something to seriously consider. I swap my bucket for my pallet forks all the time so it's a great feature to have. The telescoping arms would be nice but I have a set of Pats and they make 3pt hook up real fast. Tough decision but I would probably go for the upgrade.

/ MF1739E versus 1742 help with decision #17  
SSQA and extra lift capacity are something to seriously consider. I swap my bucket for my pallet forks all the time so it's a great feature to have. The telescoping arms would be nice but I have a set of Pats and they make 3pt hook up real fast. Tough decision but I would probably go for the upgrade.

Good point... Something like a nice used 1648 with the DL130 loader would be nice.

/ MF1739E versus 1742 help with decision
I have 1742. Purchased it a couple of months ago. I have been very impressed with it plenty of power at the pto and the ground. not to sound too superficial but the ugly headlights on the 1739e are enough of a reason to get the 1742. As moss down said the 1742 is a larger tractor frame and larger wheels.

Does that price include rim guard in the tires? I got mine with one rear remote, loaded tires fel with had bucket for $29k and change. Seems like you might be able to do a bit better on the price. Have fun no matter which model you go with.

Seems like I should press on the price, no reason to pay more than our friends in MA :)
EDIT: The price I was quoted $31,300 includes a 72" rear snow blower (lists $3,400), so it looks competitive to $29K for tractor, bucket and rear remote.

Larger wheels: I asked about the larger wheels and the dealer said I could get smaller diameter if I preferred. That would just reduce ground clearance. I was concerned about the height of the tractor as my garage door opening height is max 95納/B]. Dealer stated heights: 1742 with smaller tires 8? (101") with small tires and ROPS up, 6? (78") with the ROPS folded. Need to check height with ROPS folded and larger tires.

Re "loaded tires", I believe that's included from the following response to my question to the dealer about any need for additional ballast:
No more ballast is required other than the included loaded rear tires. Everything we sell with a loader gets Rimguard in the rear tires, filled to 75% capacity. This adds an additional 1200-1500 pounds of rear ballast. Rimguard is non-toxic and won't rust the rims like calcium chloride would.​

Last edited:
   / MF1739E versus 1742 help with decision #19  
Do you have any other Massey dealers close enough for another quote? Since you have a list and know exactly what you want a direct comparison between a couple different dealers on an otd price would be worth the effort.

Around my location there are three Massey dealers in different direction all about 30 minutes away and from past experience I know the price from each will noticeably vary.

I'm surprised SSQA is not available on the "e" series. One minor point I noticed on most of the lower priced line of tractors by manufacturers that have them is the lack of a flat operators platform. It is a nice feature IMO. I don't see how it is a savings in the manufacturing process but the hump is there on most economy lines.

Enjoy your new tractor!

/ MF1739E versus 1742 help with decision #20  
I've often thought it would be cheaper to manufacture just one type of "thing" (tractor, etc.), than offering an upscale version and a stripped version with different parts, castings, etc. Common sense would say it would be less expensive to make ALL your models have SSQA, or the same hoods, fenders, etc.

Then it dawned on me that these tractors don't come off the same assembly line. They aren't even made in the same countries. Therefore, it doesn't matter that they're different and there'd be no savings from making them alike.