MF 35

/ MF 35 #1  

browndrake

Tractor
iH 766
I've been looking for a Massey Ferguson 35. I'm pretty be to this. Never owned a tractor. I pretty much ran father in law's farm for last 4 years as he was getting to old too do it, mostly haying.
My wife first learned to drive on a mf35. So mostly looking for her, but I'll use it more than her. I'm starting a small cow/calf operation.
I'd try to get herdad's 35 but it got pretty messed up and probably isn't worth rebuilding.
Found one this week that seems in pretty good condition. 1961 mf 35. Perkins diesel. Starts right up. Seems to not be leaking fluids*. Pto and 3pt working.
*Oil leaking from top of starting column. From what I've read on the forum, it's probably from a seal that's gone out at the top of the steering box.
Tires + or - but not too bad. Back right wheel rusted pretty bad.
They are asking $3200.
What do you think?

/ MF 35 #2  
I've been looking for a Massey Ferguson 35. I'm pretty be to this. Never owned a tractor. I pretty much ran father in law's farm for last 4 years as he was getting to old too do it, mostly haying.
My wife first learned to drive on a mf35. So mostly looking for her, but I'll use it more than her. I'm starting a small cow/calf operation.
I'd try to get herdad's 35 but it got pretty messed up and probably isn't worth rebuilding.
Found one this week that seems in pretty good condition. 1961 mf 35. Perkins diesel. Starts right up. Seems to not be leaking fluids*. Pto and 3pt working.
*Oil leaking from top of starting column. From what I've read on the forum, it's probably from a seal that's gone out at the top of the steering box.
Tires + or - but not too bad. Back right wheel rusted pretty bad.
They are asking $3200.
What do you think?
What do I think? I think you are on the right track to get an older US farm tractor. Wonderful old machines & nice prices.

I'm an old guy & been though lots of tractors. And no stranger to used ones either.

But the MF35 is too old and won't take a loader well because no frame to attach it to along with half a dozen other reasons.
There are a ton of good old USA tractors only half that old with powerful loaders. shuttle shift, and power steering in the $7500 to $10,000 range. Do yourself and your body a favor & get one of those. Much nicer to use. 2wd is fine.
And of course as your outfit grows keep your eyes peeled for a nice old Ford or Massey or JD for under a thousand just to have around. Eveyone needs one of those for fun and to pull a wagon - but they also need a more modern tractor to do serious work with.
Best of luck,
rScotty

/ MF 35 #3  
What will it be used for? If for mowing and towing a trailer, a MF35 is a decent choice. However, rScotty's comment about a loader on a MF35 is well stated. I have a MF245 (newer version of a 35) that is a pasture mower, for the most part, and it is a good machine for that purpose. There are lots of used tractors out there with reasonable hours, I prefer Kubota. But there are other good brands as well. I'd go with a 4WD model if you get loader, so you have traction with a load.

/ MF 35 #4  
I would move to a MF 135 over the MF 35. Was just at an estate sale a few months ago, and they had a gas 135 with a 6 ft bushhog for $2000.

The oil leaving out of the steering could be a pain. It might be a seal or it be a sign it needs the whole steering box, at about $500.

/ MF 35
Thanks for the insights