MF 2300

/ MF 2300
Looks like you found your schematics, unfortunately I am unable to clean the image enough to read yet. I will work on it more.

Lou
Lou, 2nd attempt at schematic upload.
JM

Attachments

• IMG-0903.jpg
    IMG-0903.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
   / MF 2300
Same here. A couple other breakdowns had to take priority.
I plan to get back to it this weekend.
JM

/ MF 2300
I removed and cleaned all of the connections to the starter. I only measured 10.5v to the glow plugs, the battery showed 12.3v. The tractor started, I took the tractor to Advance auto. They said that the starter and battery are good but the tractor would not shut off, I assumed that the fuse blew and i shut it off manually but then i was able to restart? I went home and the fuse blew when i tried to start. Of course the tractor is not stored where I live so as I was driving home i thought that if I can measure 12v going into the ignition and only 10.5v going out to the glow plug wire then the switch could be the problem?
JM

/ MF 2300 #16  
I think this may have been mentioned before, but do you have any way to measure current?
A current clamp-on feeding a multi-meter is easiest (IMHO). You don't have to put it in the circuit.
Also most multi-meters do not have the capability to measure something approaching or exceeding 40 amps.
You could use a shunt resistor (low resistance, high power) but that means putting it in series (removing wires). Also since Radio Shack isn't just around the corner anymore (at least not where I live), you would most likely have to order it. There are plenty of ohm's law calculators on line to figure the best one.

Lou

/ MF 2300
I think this may have been mentioned before, but do you have any way to measure current?
A current clamp-on feeding a multi-meter is easiest (IMHO). You don't have to put it in the circuit.
Also most multi-meters do not have the capability to measure something approaching or exceeding 40 amps.
You could use a shunt resistor (low resistance, high power) but that means putting it in series (removing wires). Also since Radio Shack isn't just around the corner anymore (at least not where I live), you would most likely have to order it. There are plenty of ohm's law calculators on line to figure the best one.

Lou
Lou,
I do not have a DC current clamp. I was re-checking some voltages and testing the glow plugs when I noticed smoke coming from the bowels of the tractor. I started removing panels and parts and tracing the glow plug power wire under the motor until i found the short.
The short was at the metal spring steel that wraps around all of the wires holding them to the motor. The vibration had worn through the rubber coating on the spring steel and through the harness loom and then through the glow plug power wire which seemed to have a very tough teflon insulation. I made a repair to the glow plug wire.
I also replaced the ignition switch because at least once the tractor would not shut off while not having a blown fuse and the switch was very corroded.
That was a real head scratcher. The tractor seems to be back to normal.
Thanks for all of your help.
JM

/ MF 2300 #18  
Lou,
I do not have a DC current clamp. I was re-checking some voltages and testing the glow plugs when I noticed smoke coming from the bowels of the tractor. I started removing panels and parts and tracing the glow plug power wire under the motor until i found the short.
The short was at the metal spring steel that wraps around all of the wires holding them to the motor. The vibration had worn through the rubber coating on the spring steel and through the harness loom and then through the glow plug power wire which seemed to have a very tough teflon insulation. I made a repair to the glow plug wire.
I also replaced the ignition switch because at least once the tractor would not shut off while not having a blown fuse and the switch was very corroded.
That was a real head scratcher. The tractor seems to be back to normal.
Thanks for all of your help.
JM
Excellent. Glad to hear it. Always feels good to solve a problem...even more so if it is a perplexing one.

Lou