MF 2300

/ MF 2300 #1  

jminpa

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2300
Hello, I have a mf gc2300. Recently while using the tractor I shut it off and it would not restart. The 40A slow blow fuse to the starter was blown. I could not find a short in the wiring on either side of the 40A fuse with a continuity tester. I checked all of the wiring visually on the tractor looking for a short or bare wire. I replaced the fuse and used the tractor all day with no problem, on and off the seat but never shutting the tractor off. When I parked the tractor I shut it off and did a restart with no problem but i noticed that the fuel gauge was quickly going to zero and the lights no longer worked, then the tractor would not shut off.
I shut the tractor off with the plunger switch on the fuel pump and found the 40A fuse blown again. Again I could not find a short with a meter. I then removed the ignition switch and found the back with the wires completely corroded. I have read most of the posts on this site and understand that the ignition is a common problem. I am leaning toward the switch shorting causing the fuse to blow as it happens during a starting operation.
The question is, Has anyone had luck cleaning the wire corrosion and reusing the switch or is the problem internal to the switch? I am trying to avoid buying a new switch.
Also, I think that I have determined that the wiring diagram is inside the repair manual and not in the operator's manual. Can anyone confirm that the wiring diagram is in the repair manual and if so, is the diagram readable? The diagrams that i have found on the internet are unreadable when i zoom them enough to be able to follow the wiring. It looks like the diagram may have a box at the switch location showing what connections should happen at each switch position.
Any help appreciated,
thanks

/ MF 2300 #2  
Hello,

Unfortunately my tractor is normally stored outside and the tether for the plastic ignition switch cover broke early on. I figured the way the key is made, leaving it in all the time would keep water out of the switch. It did last about 15 years. Recently I did have to replace the switch because mine was corroded and would pop fuses or just not work. I didn't use an MF switch and had to make some mods to get it to work.

My operator manual has the wiring diagram near the middle but I took a picture. Hopefully it's legible.
GC2300 wiring.jpg

Lou

/ MF 2300
Thanks Lou,
I am going to try to clean up the switch and cover it in dielectric grease before I order a new switch.
The diagram that you provided is the most readable that I have seen so far.
JM

/ MF 2300
I reinstalled the cleaned ignition today. I turned the key to on, the dash lit up as normal, i could hear the fuel pump, i turned the ignition off and heard the injection pump delay click off. I then got on the seat and turned the key for glow plugs then turned switch to start. the engine started to turn over and blew the 40a slow blow main fuse again.
Then i removed the 40a fuse from the alternator to isolate from the 40a fuse to the starter. i didn't turn the key for glow plugs but went right to start while standing beside the seat and had the same result, the motor tried to turn and blew the 40a fuse.
The ignition seems to have the correct output through all of the switch positions.
The starter relay seems to be ok because it lets the starter try to start, and i think that a problem with the safety switches would blow the smaller fuses in the fuse panel.

/ MF 2300 #5  
I looked at the schematic I sent to refresh my memory.

Other than the smaller fuses, the 40 Amp fuse's main point is to feed the starter and the glow plugs.

So if you have confidence in starter, I would check resistance across the starter when cold and hot also to ground. The glow plugs resistance can also be checked but I don't recall what it should be. I believe there is a connector on top of the engine to disconnect the glow plugs. Keep in mind the glow plugs are active when starting. Disconnect battery and check resistance to ground with ignition switch off and on.

When my ignition switch crapped out and the contacts rusted out, the glow plug pin wire on the switch would short to ground sometimes.

Hope this helps.
Lou

/ MF 2300
Lou,
I feel pretty good about the starter, From what I have read a starter failure would be unusual. The machine has a little over 500 hrs , i think.
I think that I measured about 48K ohm through the fuse holder back to the starter to ground cold.
I was not leaning toward a glow plug failure because the fuse blows when the starter tries to roll the engine. My Manual has a table for the ignition switch connections at different key positions. #30 seems to be the power to the switch and is only connected to #19 with glow plugs. when you go to start wires 30,17, AC and 50 are connected but not glow plugs so I kinda of ruled out the glow plugs?
When the fuse blows i tried to find a short to ground through the fuse holder back toward the starter and toward the ignition switch but have found nothing.
I will try to get some resistance measurements as soon as i can.
To make things more challenging, this tractor has a loader so getting the panels off on the starter side would be more work. I don't want to disassemble to get to the harness from the fuse to the starter unless i was seeing a short in this area.
One more thing, The fuses that have been used come from advance auto and look exactly like the one that failed originally but none say slow blow on them anywhere. And the description doesn't mention anything about slow blow. The advance auto part is a little fuse brand and little fuse has not been helpful to let me know if this part is a slow blow fuse.
My nearest MF dealer is 1.5 hrs away.
Thanks Again,
JM

/ MF 2300 #7  
Note that 17 and 19 are shorted external to the switch so glow plugs are active during starting.

Lou

/ MF 2300
Note that 17 and 19 are shorted external to the switch so glow plugs are active during starting.

Lou
Lou, I see what you mean.
My schematic is a little different than yours, probably due to s/n. my s/n is JPA20652.
The schematic in my operators instruction book is a bit confusing. the drawing shows two different fuse numbers for the starter and alternator but when you follow the two numbers back to the drawing key they are both 40A. And The page in my book just before the schematic says that there is a 60A SB at the alternator.
Do you think that the starter relay has any thing to do with the problem or is it protected in some other way?
thanks again.
JM

Attachments

• 20230726_191302 (2).jpg
    20230726_191302 (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
   / MF 2300 #9  
Looks like you found your schematics, unfortunately I am unable to clean the image enough to read yet. I will work on it more.

Lou

/ MF 2300
Lou,
Yes I found a manual that I didn't think that I had. I will try to post a better image of the schematic.
Thanks
JM