Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #1  

SSweetland

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1739e
Had the shop clear the codes and cycle the dpf. Was beeping and would shut off after maybe 30 seconds, but started right back up.
I generally do all my work with the engine around 2500 rpm, but looks like I am starting to have the same issues again.
I did let it run at 1800 rpm for an hour just sitting in neutral like one of the mechanics suggested, but did not clear.
I guess I will have to haul it back to the shop again, but was wondering if I might be doing something wrong, or if this is just one of those things that happens

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #2  
Same thing here. Dealer's mechanic has come out twice. Spent an hour connected with the laptop and proprietary software and plug. I get about 10 hours, running only at PTO speed, and it goes back to being hobbled. Dealer won't return my calls now. I emailed AGCO.

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues
Same thing here. Dealer's mechanic has come out twice. Spent an hour connected with the laptop and proprietary software and plug. I get about 10 hours, running only at PTO speed, and it goes back to being hobbled. Dealer won't return my calls now. I emailed AGCO.

The shop I took mine to has told me that they are now waiting on the manufacturer to say whether they want to replace the tractor or replace the whole DPF system. Apparently it is far more extensive in my case, but really sounds like exactly the same thing you are seeing. I presumed it to be only a bad ECU causing my DPF to fail over and over, but I guess not

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #4  
The regeneration system uses fuel to cool off the burner and burner injector. Make sure you don't run out of fuel or the or the burner or burner injector will melt. I believe there is a automatic timer that tells the DPF to regenerate every ~4 hrs. This automatic regeneration will only occur when the soot level in the DPF filter is high enough, the engine is at operating temperature and the engine is under load (not just idling around) ) when the timer goes off. If worse comes to worse and the DPF is completely plugged most over the road truck shops can clean the filter out for about $200 - $300.

The regeneration system uses fuel to cool off the burner and burner injector. Make sure you don't run out of fuel or the or the burner or burner injector will melt. I believe there is a automatic timer that tells the DPF to regenerate every ~4 hrs. This automatic regeneration will only occur when the soot level in the DPF filter is high enough, the engine is at operating temperature and the engine is under load (not just idling around) ) when the timer goes off. If worse comes to worse and the DPF is completely plugged most over the road truck shops can clean the filter out for about $200 - $300.

Mine seemed to regen about every 20 minutes since the day it arrived at my place. I had addressed it to the dealer I got it from, they told me it was likely bad fuel, but I had only used road grade diesel and even tried various sources, never any different. It is my first "new" tractor, so I did a lot of reading on it before I even worked it. Seemed strange that it said to run full speed for the first 50 hours, but I did that (now at 170 hours).
ECU warning light did not come on until after about 120 hours, when the beeping started. It also would only run about 1800 rpm's after that time until they reset the ECU. The dealer I bought it from went out of business, so could no longer call them, but did find another dealer a little closer, and had Agco change my profile to them. I called, they said to run it for 20 minutes at full speed (as fast as it would run) and let it burn itself clean (obviously didn't work) so I hauled it to the new dealer where they reset the ECU and sent it back home.
Ran for another 10 hours, then the beeping began again. Called, they said to run it 30 minutes at idle, I did that, nothing! I also ran it for an additional 45 minutes at top speed, nothing again, so I took it back up there. That is where I am sitting now. They were not all that specific on what they are asking Agco about, all I know is my side, the mechanic did not go into many specifics, and is a little difficult to understand on the phone. I will probably go up there one day next week and try to get a clear diagnosis, but hoping that they can either fix it, or replace it soon, I am trying to get some work done and they have had it for over 3 weeks already.

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #6  
Change the fuel filter underneath the tractor!!!

Use a carquest filter. Part number 86006.

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #7  
It appears that every brand of Tier 4 final small diesel tractors are having issues. Sure am glad both of mine smoke....:D

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #8  
I was looking into getting a MF 1739E. This is the only issue I worry about....the DPF.

/ Mf 1739e dpf/eco issues #9  
Buy pre tier 4 if you can find one in good shape for a good price. Highly doubtful though. Had a buddy send me a sales flyer this morning for a 2004 Kubota M9000 Cab (exactly like I have), sold for 42 grand which is exactly what I paid for mine in 2004, NEW and the one that sold had more hours on the meter than mine does.... and I have 2. Obviously, thanks to the greenies, my tractors are worth a lot more than I thought they were. WOWZER....

I was looking into getting a MF 1739E. This is the only issue I worry about....the DPF.

I really like the size and power it has. I am no tractor expert in any way, but have had a couple of older ones that I found more work in keeping them running than worth the time. The 1739e was the break point for me. Cost was great, 5 year warrantee is great, so I imagine that once this issue is resolved at a top level, these will be awesome value for small farms like mine (only 7 acres) and I presume would have many uses on larger farms.
It handles easy. I opted not to go with the hydro trans. I don't have any problems with it other than forgetting to make sure it is completely stopped before taking out of gear (Takes a while to get back into gear without grinding) but other than that. I have put 170 hours on mine in a year and a half, and it works hard. Right size for me, has better break out power on the bucket than most other similar size/priced units.

The dealer I bought from went out of business, and the new dealer (actually closer to me) is a bit back woods style operated, so will have to see if they finally get it right