MF 1660 grapple questions

/ MF 1660 grapple questions #1  

TeaBone

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1660 Cab; Kubota L48 TLB
I have a MF 1660 and am considering buying a grapple. I’ve pretty much decided on the 60” Wicked EA XTreme Root Rake Grapple, but I’m open to any suggestions. I’m wondering if anyone has this particular combination, and finally to my point, does anyone know if the third function valve will work for this rig?

Thanks.

/ MF 1660 grapple questions #2  
I just put one on a Kubota. And then we put it on a skid steer. Get extra fluid because a new grapple is empty.

/ MF 1660 grapple questions
Thanks

/ MF 1660 grapple questions #4  
I had the EA 55" grapple on my 1526 and just recently traded that for an 1835M and now have the grapple on the 1835M. I like the grapple but it is the only one I have ever owned or used so nothing really for comparison. It gets done what I need done. The 1526 handled it just fine but I always found myself pushing it (1526) to the limit which is why I moved up to the 1835M. So far I have moved some pretty large logs and it does great. I believe EA has video testing it on a 60hp tractor and it withstood everything they threw at it. Would I but it again? Without hesitation but again, I have no other grapple experience. The weight of the grapple preserved most of my lift capacity on the 1526, it is just that I have 75acres and I would like to do some habitat improvement along with building a house and really had the need for more loader capacity.

One side note, on the 1526 I had the WR Long 3rd function. It was a true 3rd function. On the 1835M, I had the 3rd function installed prior to picking up the new. The Massey 3rd function is actually a diverter and not a true 3rd function. I liked the operation of the WR Long better but I am sure in time I will get use to this. With the WR Long, you have two buttons on loader handle, one opens and the other closes. On the Massey diverter, there is one button on the loader handle. Depress and hold the button to operate the grapple. By depressing the button, you are diverting fluid form the dump and curl to the open and close function of the grapple. Depending on how you connect hoses, dump opens and curl closes. You cannot dump and open at the same time. Both work but I did prefer the Wr Long.

If the 60" is a juiced up version of the 55", as they state, it should pair up well with that tractor. The new laminated lower tines look nice.

Last edited:
   / MF 1660 grapple questions
Thanks for the info. I have the EA60 on order. I was told it’d be about 5 a month lead time. I’m pretty excited about it. I’ve never used one, but they look fantastic. We have some locust trees with nasty red thorns that will puncture skin like a hypodermic needle. I think it’s gonna be great for dealing with those trees after I cut them down, and for cleaning up brush/debris. I also got the Long 3rd function valve. It’s sitting in the box in my kitchen. I figure I have some time to get that installed. My most pressing project is maintenance. Time for new oil and filters. I was not prepared for how much those filters cost. I knew the oil would be pricey, but the filters are crazy money, too. I’m thinking about using the Kubota UDT2 full synthetic instead of the blended Permatran. I have a Kubota TLB and thinking it’d be nice to use the same hydraulic oil in both.

/ MF 1660 grapple questions #6  
I also run an 1835M with the EA 55 grapple. It works pretty darn well. I wanted to maximize the amount I could pick up with it so I didn’t see the need to go any bigger. The tractor is well matched to it. I also use the MF factory diverted. The true third function would make it smoother to grab and pull at the same time by curling.

/ MF 1660 grapple questions #7  
Are you satisfied with your dyna qps transmission regarding reliability, durability?
I am about to buy a Massey 1660 and do you have any details regarding the interval between oil and filter changes?
THANKS