MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #31  
Is this a larger problem on that engine than I've never seen before..?? There were quite a few 135 gassers around here years back, but maybe they were the Continental engines. Out of 55 results I got searching Google for this shaft, except for the really expensive one's only one shows it to be available but can't order online. Distributor Drive Shaft fits Massey Ferguson 2135 20 135 737055M1 fits Perkins AG3.152 Apparently they are getting them through another supplier.

I dont know if its a huge problem, but from my digging around due to my own machine, the Perkins Gas wasnt super common. The Diesel is known pretty well, but seems like a lot more of the gassers had the Continental 4 cylinder. So maybe its just a smaller sample of them out there?

Might be worth trying to call Wengers or MacFaddens or something to see if there is one in a junkyard that would be cheaper than a brand new one.

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power
I am finding that all of these parts are really hard to find and super expensive. I have a bunch of emails out to shops to see if they have them and how much. I thought maybe if I pursued parts for just the Ag3.152 Perkins engine maybe I could find more and they would be more available, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have found the shop manuals for 135, however it doesn't cover the distributor or timing gear. I can't find a manual for the AG3.152, though the diesel version is easily findable. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I have time to get into cover off the governor and see what is going on inside there.

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #33  
I am finding that all of these parts are really hard to find and super expensive. I have a bunch of emails out to shops to see if they have them and how much. I thought maybe if I pursued parts for just the Ag3.152 Perkins engine maybe I could find more and they would be more available, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have found the shop manuals for 135, however it doesn't cover the distributor or timing gear. I can't find a manual for the AG3.152, though the diesel version is easily findable. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I have time to get into cover off the governor and see what is going on inside there.
To pull that timing cover, you will need to pull the fan, water pump and crank pulley off, as well as disconnect the throttle linkage from the governor arm. You will probably want to pick up a front crank seal for when you reinstall the timing cover in the future. The book for my MF20 has a bunch of information on the AG3.152, so I would guess the one for the 135 does also. If I can get to a scanner, Ill try to get the relevant pages scanned in for you so you can use them as a reference.

To pull that timing cover, you will need to pull the fan, water pump and crank pulley off, as well as disconnect the throttle linkage from the governor arm. You will probably want to pick up a front crank seal for when you reinstall the timing cover in the future. The book for my MF20 has a bunch of information on the AG3.152, so I would guess the one for the 135 does also. If I can get to a scanner, Ill try to get the relevant pages scanned in for you so you can use them as a reference.
I appreciate it. There is a Adobe PDF Scan app for phones that works really well to scan documents with your phone.

Stuart

I heard back from my local tractor shop that they don't have the part, and can't find it through their usual sources, so they are pursuing it in the salvage market. YIKES! I have thought about taking it to a local machine shop and see if they could fabricate it for me.

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #36  
   / MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #37  
I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't end up bring more cost effective to install a distributor less ignition system and just do away with the distributor. I looked for a bit this morning but didn't find anything that was adaptable with a reasonable price.

I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't end up bring more cost effective to install a distributor less ignition system and just do away with the distributor. I looked for a bit this morning but didn't find anything that was adaptable with a reasonable price.

That is an interesting point to make. At this point I have spent about $500 so far on parts... so a distributor less ignition system might be worth it. Are you finding viable options you can share?

Thanks!

I appreciate everyone's help thus far. I am at a Boy Scout campout this weekend so trying to minimize the phone. I am hoping to have a chance to dig into things Sunday afternoon when we get back.

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #40  
I would like to see a picture of the worm gear when you get it out. This does not look like normal wear and tear. If it was mine, I'd want to see inside dropping the Pan will only cost you the price of a new pan gasket.

It is a very nice looking tractor.