Mexican Pickled Onions

/ Mexican Pickled Onions #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
We like these as a condiment in Mexican restaurants, especially on tacos and carnitas. Dead simple to make at home too.

1 red onion, sliced thin.

Boil for a minute or less to remove the sharpness, then drain and rinse.

Put in glass jar with:
juice of 4 limes
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp peppercorns
a little water just to cover the onions if needed.

Put in refrigerator for about an hour, everything turns pink and it is ready to go.

Attachments

• onions.jpg
    onions.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 244
   / Mexican Pickled Onions #3  
They are a very nice addition. I worked on Cape Canaveral for a few weeks a few years ago. My wife came down to visit family and friends. We frequented a bar called the Sandbar in Cocoa Cocoa Beach. They had the pickled onions on their fish tacos. We have been making them since.

/ Mexican Pickled Onions #5  
Looks good but are the peppercorns dried or the green/pink canned 'wet' variety?
I really do want to try this.

/ Mexican Pickled Onions #6  
I need to try this variation on pickled onions - I usually keep a jar of malt vinegar in the fridge that I'll store a sliced onion or two in for use with burgers & steak sauce.

/ Mexican Pickled Onions #7  
Looks good. We'll try it. Reminds me of the time we used to keep a large jar of jalapenos in the frige. We would add a few boiled eggs as time went by; the eggs were really great with beer.

/ Mexican Pickled Onions
Looks good but are the peppercorns dried or the green/pink canned 'wet' variety?
I really do want to try this.
dried black peppercorns is what I use. can't see why the wet kind or green kind etc would not also be good.