Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone?

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #21  
The VA did not do anything for it nor per the audiologist, can they. Your doctor is pretty much correct from what I know. I always have it but my awareness of it varies. The hearing aids do help some but not all of the time.

Having filed an appeal for hearing loss, they may send me back to the non VA doctor that diagnosed my tinnitus to be military related. During that visit, I really did not discuss treatment options for tinnitus.

OK, thanks. I wanted to make sure there isn’t an option I’m missing. My tinnitus sounds similar - it’s always there, but I’m not always consciously aware of it.

On rare occasions, I’ll get a loud tone that sounds like a TV station that has gone off the air. Fortunately, that doesn’t last very long. That would really drive me nuts.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #22  
Digging up an old thread but there is a lot of good information in it, that being said I will soon turn 65 and will go on Medicare A&B, I have Tricare and as of Jan 2024 it will turn to Tricare 4life, a Humana rep wants me to take USAA honor plan at a zero cost for me. This is all quite confusing and I'm not real sure what to be aware of I am having some tell me I don't need anything since I get my prescriptions and most of my doctor visits through the VA, but if it does not cost me anything what would be the problem with it?

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #23  
Since I turn 65 next year I have put some research into the Medicare with Va health benefits and Medicare Advantage plans. Depending on your location some Advantage plans have a "Giveback" amount (towards Medicare B cost) alongside other coverages. Humana's Honor giveback for my location seems to max out at up to $100 and it is the highest of all the Medicare Advantage plans available. It does not give prescription drug coverage but it does have some dental and vision. Plus stupid crap like free group exercise programs.

When I get into the eligibility period I will be contacting them to insist that a real amount is stated instead of a "up to" amount. Be wary or what your Humana representative tells you. Read and understand "weasel words".

Medicare B has a penalty* if you do not sign up and pay regardless if you have VA. Medicare D has a penalty as well if you do not signup unless you have VA which is considered equivalent coverage.

* The penalty is a higher premium when you do signup for part B based on how long you avoided joining.

Last edited:
   / Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #24  
When we finally got VA benefits for my dad the drug plan was very good. Around here the VA is where you go if you want to die so hopefully it's better everywhere else. If you want to learn about Medicare go to Medicareschool.com. The guy does a great job of explaining things.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #25  
Matt from what the guy on the phone told me they pay 88 dollars a month towards my part B, I'm just having a hard time understanding how they can charge me zero and increase my benefits and then pay money for my Medicare part B.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #26  
Matt from what the guy on the phone told me they pay 88 dollars a month towards my part B, I'm just having a hard time understanding how they can charge me zero and increase my benefits and then pay money for my Medicare part B.
Your premium for the advantage plan is zero. They get money from the medicare program in order to do this. However you must pay the medicare part B. From that you will have the monthly amount reduced by $88.

Insurance companies replace Part A and Part B with their own coverage setup and get paid by the government for doing so. It is a complicated setup that can work for some people better than traditional medicare but not all people. The devil is in the details of max amounts and co-pays plus providers allowed to treat your health needs. One thing for sure is Insurance companies are not charities. They can give a "giveback" because they make money even doing so.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone?
The latest VA news letter has a link to a site called rallypoint. There is a short thread with similar questions. I do not know anything about the site other than it looks to be a legit site for vets.

As for me, while I have no complaints about the VA facility that I go to about their care, I continue to only use them for my hearing issues. Just to far to drive. Also, my wife and I both use many of the same doctors. We make joint appointments so it works out.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #28  
Advantage plans are cheaper because they require you to get your services within their "plan" which is a HMO type plan with limits on which doctors and hospitals you can use.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #29  

Because when you're really sick they withhold treatment. There's another Medicare thread here where a couple guys who sold Advantage plans quit doing so because so many customers came back and begged to go back to traditional Medicare when they got sick. You can't, it's one way.

The more I read about Advantage plans the more I think they're just another way for the health care industry to rake in huge profits while not serving people.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #30  

The more I read about Advantage plans the more I think they're just another way for the health care industry to rake in huge profits while not serving people.
Insurance companies are not charities. The thing is traditional Medicare can be worse when it comes to getting healthcare paid for.

With VA benefits the Medicare Advantage plan with a "giveback" is a better deal than for those without the two systems to draw from. Paying the full $174.70 part B monthly cost is hard on the low income folks. To choose to not have Part B and only VA is often what they would resort to.