Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone?

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
Just this year I got service related VA medical benefits for my tinnitus. Having been on Medicare with an "F" plan and a separate prescription plan since I became eligible, I am thinking of at the least dropping the prescription plan since I only take one low cost statin drug. The "F" plan has been really great though I do not doctor alot, it is great to not have a co-pay every time I do go. For that reason and the VA being so new to me, I am a little hesitant to make any changes at all.

Anyone else have any incite to offer?

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #2  
When you say ‘F’ plan are you talking about a gap policy?

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #3  
Just this year I got service related VA medical benefits for my tinnitus. Having been on Medicare with an "F" plan and a separate prescription plan since I became eligible, I am thinking of at the least dropping the prescription plan since I only take one low cost statin drug. The "F" plan has been really great though I do not doctor alot, it is great to not have a co-pay every time I do go. For that reason and the VA being so new to me, I am a little hesitant to make any changes at all.

Anyone else have any incite to offer?
So, what percent did they give you? Is it limited to just the tinnitus?

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #4  
Don't know about it. I am on Medicare and military Tri-care now being retired Navy (Reserve so had to wait till 60). Years ago before eligible for medicare I checked into joining VA coverage; I was eligible, but my annual income pushed me up into the maximum co-pay. At that time there was a means test that affected what you had to pay for service. That may still be a problem. Do your du-diligence and check it out closely. sometimes the bureaucracies don't provide the right inf the first time. Through Navy, VA, Civil Service, Medicare and, SS programs I have sifted out a lot of Bum dope.

Ron

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #5  
I don't know much about VA benefits, but be careful about dropping Part D (prescription) coverage. Every month you are without coverage will result is a significant increase in premiums later if you decide to pick it up again. I got caught here because I worked past 65 and didn't start Medicare because I had employer coverage. Because my work plan didn't meet Medicare standards for prescription coverage, I will pay higher Part D premiums for the rest of my life.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #6  
You need to talk to a VA Rep - there's an awful lot of information you're going to need answers to. I'm retired military, 50% disabled and I have Tricare for Life and Medicare. Because I'm retired, I don't need Part D because I get my prescriptions through Tricare (although I get one through VA because Express Scripts didn't carry it when I started on it). Since I'm on Medicare, it's considered my primary insurance and Tricare is secondary.

Most of the time, I go to our VA clinic - mostly for semi annual checks and prescription updates, and shots. Medicare pays first, Tricare second, if there is a second - no co pays at all. My prescriptions run $7 per script for a 90 day supply.

I also have another doctor (a friend of ours) and while I've only been to her office four times, I've not had any co pays.

When I started out with VA they assigned appointment priorities by range of disability and type of service. Being retired and with the 50% service connected disability, I fall into priority 1. As I understand it, a tinnitus disability usually only results in a 10% or 20% disability, so if that is the case, you would be a low priority when you requested an appointment. Your ability to get prescriptions might also be affected by the degree of your disability.

Since you don't appear to be retired military, you probably will fall into a low priority group and you may or may not be able to obtain prescriptions through them and your income status may affect your co pay status.

Do not drop your Part D until you get all your questions answered to your satisfaction. And do the Ronald Reagan thing after talking to whichever VA Rep you talk to - trust, but verify. I've seen a couple that can't answer specific questions but simply hand you a bunch of pamphlets and tell you that you'll find the answers in them.

Go to the VA website, check out the FAQs - but be darned sure you have correct answers before you make any moves. One wrong one could cost you a bunch of money

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #7  
I use the VA. For all my care but they have out sourced me to the local cancer center because of distance from the VA hospital and also they don't have the facility to do my treatments for prostate cancer but I do use the VA pharmacy because I a copay and I am billed once a month and it's not very much. But every thing else is thru what they call the choice program which you have to be approved for. Due to distance and what is wrong with you depends on where you get your care from but the VA makes that decision and my disability level is 20% due to medical discharge from the Navy.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #8  
So, what percent did they give you? Is it limited to just the tinnitus?

The max the VA gives you for Tinnitis is 10%. I got it 4 years ago...filed my own claim. It is a presumptive award if you can prove what your AFSC or MOS that the VA requires. I was a 43151 jet fighter mechanic with service in Thailand during Vietnam.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #9  
I work for the VA. While I am not a Veteran my coworker is. If there are any income limits they must be high bc I know what my coworker and his wife (works here too) make. He is also service connected 10% for tinnitus. They combined make over $150k a year. The VA is his ONLY source of insurance (he dropped the blue cross/blue shield offered as employment) bc he said he only uses the VA for care.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone?
When you say ‘F’ plan are you talking about a gap policy?

Rather than the so called "Advantage Plan" which provides medical, prescription, eye care, etc., I have what is called an "F" plan. The is also a "G" plan and others but I do not have the list in front of me and I do not recall the differences. Anyway, the "F" plan picks up what Medicare does not cover generally has no co-pay. The plans are higher and do not cover prescriptions, general eye care or dental. You have to have seperate plans for those. My wife doctors alot, her plan is going up to a little over 200/month this year, mine is around 130 something. I am over insured relative to the co-pays I avoid, she scores.

I think the only thing we ever paid for was a medication during an ER visit for my wife because a hospital is not a licensed pharmacy. When I questioned it at the hospital's billing, they gave me a reduced rate which I would not have gotten had I simply paid the bill via mail. It was like a whole 12 bucks.