Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone?

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #31  
The latest VA news letter has a link to a site called rallypoint. There is a short thread with similar questions. I do not know anything about the site other than it looks to be a legit site for vets.

As for me, while I have no complaints about the VA facility that I go to about their care, I continue to only use them for my hearing issues. Just to far to drive. Also, my wife and I both use many of the same doctors. We make joint appointments so it works out.
I use the VA for just about all my medical care.

I have NOT had any problems with my VA medical care.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #32  
I use the VA for just about all my medical care.

I have NOT had any problems with my VA medical care.
Same with me.

Open heart surgery, 2 cochlear implant surgeries, a shoulder replacement, a complex foot re-construction...with zero cost to me. Some of this by VA doctors, most by outside doctors. The majority of pre-care, pre-surgery testing, and post-surgery care at the VA.

Apparently, I live in an area with quality VA services. Yet still, some patients are constantly complaining about something! :) I think they have no idea how fortunate we are.

BTW, three times in 10's of years I felt the need to escalate a concern. Each time the issue was promptly addressed to my satisfaction.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #33  
Because when you're really sick they withhold treatment. There's another Medicare thread here where a couple guys who sold Advantage plans quit doing so because so many customers came back and begged to go back to traditional Medicare when they got sick. You can't, it's one way.

The more I read about Advantage plans the more I think they're just another way for the health care industry to rake in huge profits while not serving people.
Thanks for all the replies I'll be asking the guy about this when he calls back, if I can't switch back because I am having a problem with it I don't think I like it.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #34  
Thanks for all the replies I'll be asking the guy about this when he calls back, if I can't switch back because I am having a problem with it I don't think I like it.
Every year the eligibility to change your medicare plan comes up. It is presently that time now as all the TV ads that are clamoring for you to call in can attest to.

It is true that you can not change in between eligibility periods after making your choice for the coming year. The thing with medicare is it not really voluntary. You are sorta stuck regardless unless you are wealthy enough (or have a fully paid healthcare plan from some other source) to pay as you go.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #35  
I'm not sure if VA impacts it, but if you choose an Advantage plan, you are stuck with it. Beyond basic Medicare, you can choose either a Supplemental plan or an Advantage plan to give you additional benefits (which bring Medicare up to the typical employer provided plan). If you choose an Advantage plan, you will not be able to switch to a Supplemental plan in the future.

There is a logic to this. All the plans depend on you signing up when you are 65 and (relatively) healthy so they can afford to pay for your increased health costs when you are 80.

Supplemental plans have higher costs but have much more flexibility.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #36  
Sorry KenG but your answer is incorrect. I will link to the horse's mouth for those folks that that are unsure. Joining a plan | Medicare

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #37  
Sorry KenG but your answer is incorrect. I will link to the horse's mouth for those folks that that are unsure. Joining a plan | Medicare
Technically, you can switch from an Advantage plan to a Supplemental (Medigap) plan but if you are over 65 you are subject to Medical Underwriting. What this means is that if you have a pre-existing condition they can reject you or charge you higher rates. Most people who don't like their Advantage plans don't think they are getting adequate care which probably means they have a pre-existing condition.

So you don't have the "right" to switch back like you have the "right" to a Supplemental or Advantage plan when you first sign up for Medicare. You can be rejected or may have to pay a large increased premium.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #38  
Insurance companies are not charities. So yes they will turn you down (if allowed) due to your health since they are not interested in paying out anymore than the law makes them. However you can go back to original Medicare that can not discriminate against you for a pre-existing health condition.

Bit like insisting an auto insurance company sign you up after you wreck your car so they would pay for it.

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #39  
So do we have anyone that is on the Humana USAA Honor plan and do you like it?

/ Medicare with VA medical benifits anyone? #40