McCormick ZTX280

/ McCormick ZTX280 #1  

naddis01

Ok guys, we are in the market for a tractor around the 270 - 300hp mark. We have come across a McCormick ZTX280 but we know very little about them. From what I understand there were not many of them produced and as such the perception of the brand (in Australia anyway) is not great.

So I have a couple of questions.

Basically I would like to know how reliable they are? We would most likely be keeping it for a few years so reliability is a big factor in our purchase.

What are the common problems with them?

What are the standard features like say in comparision to a Case MX270?

What else do I need to know about them? Feel free to give your opinion on them.

One of the other tractors we are looking at is a Case MX270 with similar hours but it probably atleast 6 years older and the asking price is a little higher but doesn't have the resale and brand perception issues of the McCormick.

Thanks in advance.

/ McCormick ZTX280 #2  
I worked for McCormick, when the ZTX-280 was sold. The engine is a 8.3L Cummins; the transmission is a Funk powershift (owned by JD) and the only issues that I was aware of are some electrical issues. The tractor shifting and controls were run by computerization. We went thru 4 or 5 different programs until we got one that worked well. It also, operated the hydraulics. You need to check what version of software is in this tractor. If you need to know where there is another one; Burnips Eq. in Big Rapids, MI, USA has one that was traded in. Their main office is in Dorr, MI and the contact is Craig Vanderkolk, ph. #616-896-6980. You might check them out on price and hours.

I see you are from Australia, so this would be a long commute!

Last edited: