Massey GC1723E Noise?

/ Massey GC1723E Noise? #1  

country350

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
I have a Massey GC1723 with 210 hours on it. Just recently it started making a whining or whirling noise after it has fully warmed up and ran for a while. I checked the hydro fluid, engine oil, and coolant and they are all full and fresh. I don’t see any grass or sticks that may be impeding on any fans either. It sounds like the noise is coming from the middle of the tractor. Any ideas on what it may be? It only makes the noise when its warm. I sure hope its not my hydro trans going…. The noise does not go away when operating the 3 point or loader. It remains constant.

Last edited:
   / Massey GC1723E Noise? #2  
Hydro fluid is recently changed?

edit: just adding to this. SCUTs run hotter, fluid thins out a lot more than bigger tractors. Has the ambient temperature been hotter than normal? My GC is at its recommended service interval, have noticed the whining is increasing. The fluid may look good, but 50% of the lubrication can be from additives that get used up with use. Hard to make a remote diagnosis. All fluids are not equal when dealing with SCUTs, operating temperature, and oil quality is a huge factor.
Middle of the tractor may mean steering pump, under seat (hydro/pump), or loader hydraulics. If the loader hydraulics, just reseat all the quick connects, one may be partially loose, it happens.

Last edited:
   / Massey GC1723E Noise? #3  
Might be the PTO relief valve - there was a service bulletin on it.

/ Massey GC1723E Noise? #4  
Might be the PTO relief valve - there was a service bulletin on it.
yup had to haul company GC1723 (around 110 hrs on it) to dealer in fall 2021. forget the actual number/nomenclature on the SB.
iirc it may have involved the 3pt lift system also.

/ Massey GC1723E Noise? #5  
Hydro fluid is recently changed?

edit: just adding to this. SCUTs run hotter, fluid thins out a lot more than bigger tractors. Has the ambient temperature been hotter than normal? My GC is at its recommended service interval, have noticed the whining is increasing. The fluid may look good, but 50% of the lubrication can be from additives that get used up with use. Hard to make a remote diagnosis. All fluids are not equal when dealing with SCUTs, operating temperature, and oil quality is a huge factor.
Middle of the tractor may mean steering pump, under seat (hydro/pump), or loader hydraulics. If the loader hydraulics, just reseat all the quick connects, one may be partially loose, it happens.
Is it a whine from the hydro? If yes, I'll second that question. I notice on mine, my hydros whining went away last year. This year, I changed the hydraulic oil, and it's whining a little bit again.