Massey Ferguson 1840E

/ Massey Ferguson 1840E #1  

Ferg52

Tractor
Ferguson TO-30
Just wanted to share a few quick thoughts on the 1840E for anyone looking at buying one. There are several great videos online highlighting them, but there doesn't seem to be much real-world feedback. Please note that this is not my tractor, it is my father's, but I have access to it pretty much whenever I need it. Also, this is a shuttle-shift model with a loader.

As of now, the tractor has about 80 hours on it without issue(not that anything should go wrong that soon). Just shy of 50 hours, it did its first and only regen so far. I am the designated maintenance guy, so I got to do the 50 hour service(oil+filter, hydro/trans). Drain plugs and filters were easy to get to, and all the grease zerks are easily accessible and seem to be well protected.

The hydraulics on the loader are pretty quick, even when under heavy load. This one has quick attach, so we can throw on the pair of Bobcat forks we got to move pallets, brush, etc. The owner has used it to spread probably 60-70 yards of crushed concrete and says it did very well. He just ran it in a low gear and carefully dug into the pile. Weight wise, it picked up a full bucket no problem. However, even with weighted tires, if the loader is near its capacity, you almost have to be in 4x4 as the rear tires loose too much traction.

I have used it once to brush hog to see what it could do, and I couldn't find anything thick enough to make it even think about bogging down. That 39.4HP in this little tractor packs a punch! About the only other thing the tractor has been used for so far is plowing snow with a rear blade. The most it's moved was probably 5 inches or so, but it should get a good test this week if we actually get the foot of snow they are calling for. Unfortunately it's been to wet since he bought it to really use it much. This year, and the years to come, it will get a workout doing quite a bit of ground work.

The owner loves it and is very happy with his purchase. The times I have used it, I am also very pleased with its performance. Really the only complaint is it can be a little tight getting on and off for taller people, but you learn pretty quick where to swing your right leg to miss the gearshift. Only time will tell how these things hold up long-term, but I don't foresee too many issues since they are Iseki built.

Feel free to ask questions and I will answer them the best I can. I will also try to update as the tractor sees more use.

/ Massey Ferguson 1840E #2  
Just wanted to share a few quick thoughts on the 1840E for anyone looking at buying one. There are several great videos online highlighting them, but there doesn't seem to be much real-world feedback. Please note that this is not my tractor, it is my father's, but I have access to it pretty much whenever I need it. Also, this is a shuttle-shift model with a loader.

As of now, the tractor has about 80 hours on it without issue(not that anything should go wrong that soon). Just shy of 50 hours, it did its first and only regen so far. I am the designated maintenance guy, so I got to do the 50 hour service(oil+filter, hydro/trans). Drain plugs and filters were easy to get to, and all the grease zerks are easily accessible and seem to be well protected.

The hydraulics on the loader are pretty quick, even when under heavy load. This one has quick attach, so we can throw on the pair of Bobcat forks we got to move pallets, brush, etc. The owner has used it to spread probably 60-70 yards of crushed concrete and says it did very well. He just ran it in a low gear and carefully dug into the pile. Weight wise, it picked up a full bucket no problem. However, even with weighted tires, if the loader is near its capacity, you almost have to be in 4x4 as the rear tires loose too much traction.

I have used it once to brush hog to see what it could do, and I couldn't find anything thick enough to make it even think about bogging down. That 39.4HP in this little tractor packs a punch! About the only other thing the tractor has been used for so far is plowing snow with a rear blade. The most it's moved was probably 5 inches or so, but it should get a good test this week if we actually get the foot of snow they are calling for. Unfortunately it's been to wet since he bought it to really use it much. This year, and the years to come, it will get a workout doing quite a bit of ground work.

The owner loves it and is very happy with his purchase. The times I have used it, I am also very pleased with its performance. Really the only complaint is it can be a little tight getting on and off for taller people, but you learn pretty quick where to swing your right leg to miss the gearshift. Only time will tell how these things hold up long-term, but I don't foresee too many issues since they are Iseki built.

Feel free to ask questions and I will answer them the best I can. I will also try to update as the tractor sees more use.
Hi. Thanks for the review. Any other follow on thoughts for this tractor? My brothets and i are thinking about this unit with the hydrostatic transmission.

/ Massey Ferguson 1840E
Hi. Thanks for the review. Any other follow on thoughts for this tractor? My brothets and i are thinking about this unit with the hydrostatic transmission.
Sorry for the delayed response, been very busy and haven't been on in a while. Ground has been much to wet for the tractor to get used much. That being said, it does get around very well in the mud haha. Last I saw, it had 93.5 hours and had done its second regen around 90 hours. Only issue so far is my father found a way to stab a tree branch into the grille, so I welded up a brush guard so it doesn't happen again. Still highly recommend this model, hope the ground dries out soon so it can get used some more

/ Massey Ferguson 1840E #4  
Sorry for the delayed response, been very busy and haven't been on in a while. Ground has been much to wet for the tractor to get used much. That being said, it does get around very well in the mud haha. Last I saw, it had 93.5 hours and had done its second regen around 90 hours. Only issue so far is my father found a way to stab a tree branch into the grille, so I welded up a brush guard so it doesn't happen again. Still highly recommend this model, hope the ground dries out soon so it can get used some more
Thanks for getting back to me. After looking at the backhoe attachments (which was the only reason I was entertaining it) we decided to pass on it. The mf 4707 does everything i need it to tractor wise and I think I will wait for a mini excavator to pop up locally.

/ Massey Ferguson 1840E #5  
We (Hills Equipment in Livingston, LA) have a Massey Ferguson 1840EH HST on clearance sale. This was a retailed unit that didn't get switched to floorplan. It needs to go by the end of the year! Cash price is $27,500.

If we have to buy it outright the price will go up.

/ Massey Ferguson 1840E #6  
I’m really loving the new all Iseki built Massey 1840E/M series tractors.

Anyone know how they’d handle a six foot bush hog? Looks like they have the weight, width, and wheelbase to handle one, but do they have the power?

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 1840E
I’m really loving the new all Iseki built Massey 1840E/M series tractors.

Anyone know how they’d handle a six foot bush hog? Looks like they have the weight, width, and wheelbase to handle one, but do they have the power?
Can't say on a 6 foot, as my brush hog is only a 4 foot, but I mowed down thick dogwood and grass as high as the tractor this fall and the Massey didn't bog one bit. Granted, I was in granny gear trying to keep an eye out for boulders.

Haven't updated in a while, but just about to hit 300 hours of hard, heavy work and no problems or complaints. Did primarily ground work and rototilling this year. Also quite a bit of moving dirt with the loader. Ended up cutting about 6 inches off the gearshift so we quit kicking it getting on and off the tractor.

/ Massey Ferguson 1840E #8  
Massey makes a fine tractor.

I run an 8' cutter with a 1750M. It handles it fine, I just go slow. I am usually just mowing tall grass in the water ways. I haven't run it in any heavy brush. I think 8' might be a little big for it cutting heavy brush. I think the 1840E would run a 6' cutter just fine.

There is a difference in the M vs. E in the way that they handle the emissions. M doesn't have a DPF and it doesn't do regens.

/ Massey Ferguson 1840E #9  
I thought the No DPF thing was only on the 1700 series (Shibaura engine) before it was replace by the new 1800 series (Iseki engine).

I run a 5 foot bush hog on my 1740m and it never really bug down so probably a 6 footer will work just fine.

I'm at 630 hrs on the machine and it stills runs like a new.

/ Massey Ferguson 1840E #10  
Very possible that is right. I really don't know anything about the 1800 series. That makes sense though since they switched to Iseki.