Market Watch

/ Market Watch #761  
After playing soccer in college I didn't watch it or touch a ball for years after. Lol. Was burnt out from so much training and playing.

/ Market Watch #762  
My HS coaches that were teachers looked the other way to the extent that they could when we got into trouble. My son was a college athlete and is now a HS teacher and HS coach. He is the only one who is a teacher on the team. Things have changed- many coaches are not teachers (I wasnt one either). He has told me administration is having disciple problems with teams that are coached purely by non-teachers.
Around here all coaches must be on staff (almost all are teachers).

/ Market Watch #763  
I wonder how many kids that are fair in sports get passing grades
if they can even read or do any math???

willy

My senior son has played varsity football and basketball the last two years, plus AAU basketball in the spring. Plus he works enough to keep himself supplied with the expensive shoes and snacks that I won’t buy, and gas for the car. He has a 3.2 gpa and has been contacted by 5 different colleges to play football. So far one scholarship has been offered, and we have more visits to make. The desire to be an athlete is the motivation that drove him to do as well as he has. Without athletic aspirations he would probably be more of a 2.0 kid because he doesn’t like to sit still and concentrate. His motor doesn’t quit. That’s just how he’s built. He probably won’t come up with a plan to solve any giant world problems, but I could see him executing part of a plan someday in about half the expected timeframe. The boy gets things done fast.

Even if he eventually falls short of his dream of a pro contract, he will be better off physically and mentally the rest of his life because of the work he’s put in chasing that dream.

Athletics is not something to be looked down on. Every trait, characteristic, and talent a person has can either help them or hurt them. Our human nature is like a wild horse, it needs training to become useful rather than dangerous. We need to harness and train the talents we have, and realize that others may have different talents that suit them to roles we may not fit.

/ Market Watch #764  
My senior son has played varsity football and basketball the last two years, plus AAU basketball in the spring. Plus he works enough to keep himself supplied with the expensive shoes and snacks that I won’t buy, and gas for the car. He has a 3.2 gpa and has been contacted by 5 different colleges to play football. So far one scholarship has been offered, and we have more visits to make. The desire to be an athlete is the motivation that drove him to do as well as he has. Without athletic aspirations he would probably be more of a 2.0 kid because he doesn’t like to sit still and concentrate. His motor doesn’t quit. That’s just how he’s built. He probably won’t come up with a plan to solve any giant world problems, but I could see him executing part of a plan someday in about half the expected timeframe. The boy gets things done fast.

Even if he eventually falls short of his dream of a pro contract, he will be better off physically and mentally the rest of his life because of the work he’s put in chasing that dream.

Athletics is not something to be looked down on. Every trait, characteristic, and talent a person has can either help them or hurt them. Our human nature is like a wild horse, it needs training to become useful rather than dangerous. We need to harness and train the talents we have, and realize that others may have different talents that suit them to roles we may not fit.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for a Marine Corps officer.
Tell him I said as an ex-college athlete and the father of 2 college athletes “YOU GO BOY!”

/ Market Watch #765  
With the Fed recently saying they plan to cut interest rates three times in 2024, I'm not so sure the hoped for price reductions in tractors, houses, cars, etc. are going to happen.

/ Market Watch #767  
Price reductions won’t happen. Rates will be cut, housing is already seeing a rebound. Welcome to the new normal

/ Market Watch #768  
After playing soccer in college I didn't watch it or touch a ball for years after. Lol. Was burnt out from so much training and playing.
After working my way through college I felt the same way. Didn't want to touch a tool or a job for years afterwards. Was burnt out.
rScotty

/ Market Watch #769  
My HS coaches that were teachers looked the other way to the extent that they could when we got into trouble. My son was a college athlete and is now a HS teacher and HS coach. He is the only one who is a teacher on the team. Things have changed- many coaches are not teachers (I wasnt one either). He has told me administration is having disciple problems with teams that are coached purely by non-teachers.
I see what you are saying. That is also how it is at Carmel. But the coaches are more receptive to teachers reaching out and it gets handled. If a kid is getting bad grades or disrepectful the coach intervenes. But I can see if you are not a teacher and coaching. A coach may not be worried about his players attitudes or grades. Only worried about progressing his career. Unfortunately that goes on and I would think it would be up to the school to make changes if it was that bad.

/ Market Watch #770  

Athletics is not something to be looked down on. Every trait, characteristic, and talent a person has can either help them or hurt them. Our human nature is like a wild horse, it needs training to become useful rather than dangerous. We need to harness and train the talents we have, and realize that others may have different talents that suit them to roles we may not

Id say you are on the right track. Although after sports nothing is for certain. It is a great building block bc as we all know failure is a part of sports. It provides that look into yourself at an early age. As far as ones physical stance after college. That typically goes to the way side. There is a small percentage of people that carry on physical fitness into there adult life when careers and family take over. Granted some find the time but most dont.

Unfortunately many judge sports by the few that get to take advantage of it b/c they are so talented. The gift of having top talent most definitely takes work but lets be honest. Some have it, some dont. There have been several scandals in college ball. Take for instance baylor football program and the head coach art briles. That was some damning **** those players were getting away with. Hell even the campus police were not doing anything to those players. Those guys were put on pedestals and did have to operate with same rules. Is there always going to be favoritism to those that play the popular sports. Absolutely. Do we need to have boundaries for these kids. Yes. Im no dummy when I see how much coaches get paid. They need to win b.c winning brings in revenue. Selling sex, raping, allowing them to fight and all the other **** that happens is what gives college sports a bad name. It happens with football and basketball programs.

So while I agree that sports offers motivation. It can also become dangerous if the people that are running the programs have no moral compass. Baylor had several bad actors all the way up to administration.

This has nothing to do with sports but just college in general. One night my friends and I were walking off campus to a party. It was around 1030 PM. We saw three college females very intoxicated. One of them had her chest exposed. They were falling down and so on. We asked them if they were going back to the dorm and they said yes. So we accompanied them to the dorm to make sure they were alright. After we spoke with the RA we left and headed to the party. As we were walking I asked my friends. Isn't it strange that we have all these kids on campuses and rapes dont ever seem to be an issue. Never in the news, never reported on. I have always thought that was strange. Obviously it happens most likely more than we all like to know. While college can offer a wonderful life experience. Its important to stay grounded b.c bad **** happens all the time in college and for the most part stays out of local and nation news.