Mantis Tiller

/ Mantis Tiller #21  
I had so many problems with my Mantis, I gave it away. No huge loss, it was given to me. If it were given back to me, I'd give it away again. Rototilling with a machine is too high tech for me.

/ Mantis Tiller
Same here. I've been running 93octane non-eth with Stihl's synthetic 2 stroke oil for years in all my equipment.

/ Mantis Tiller
I'll try it. Nothing to lose. If it doesn't work i'll buy a new one.
On the vent: I ended up using a stock vent. I left a 1/2" length of hose on it and drilled a hole in the cap so that the hose would barely squeak through. Sealed it with JB. Waiting on the glue to dry now. Another thing I've noticed during testing is that it will run longer on a half tank of gas before it quits. So i'm still thinking it must be a venting problem- 1/2 tank means more air.

/ Mantis Tiller
I've heard stories like yours before. Evidently Mantis can be great or terrible. I've been lucky up to this point. But if it keeps up i'll turn it into yard art.

/ Mantis Tiller #25  
I have both, the Mantis and the Honda, mini tillers...

Both have been very good, but I like the quietness of the Honda, but the Mantis tines get less stones caught up in them.

Both have been trouble free...

SR

/ Mantis Tiller
Did all that this morning. Seems to be holding. Got a 1/4 tank of gas in it right now, and sitting on a piece of cardboard, to see if it seeps anywhere. Thanks.
See my post about the vent on P.3

/ Mantis Tiller
Just ran the Mantis for nearly an hour nonstop wide open. The "new" vent in the gas cap seemed to have done the trick. Idles smoothly, throttles up and down, and starts on 1-2 pulls.
And still no earthly idea why it decided to do this after 10 years.
Put an OEM stock tank vent into the gas cap. The vent hose only extends inside 1/8". The vent piece sticks up outside and I'll have to be careful yanking the rope but I think there's just enough hose to give it a little bit of flex.
It's been an interesting (albeit frustrating at times) repair. I did get into a small argument with the Mantis tech that swears my problem is/was low compression. When I emailed him about this repair and the fact that it fixed it, he said it wouldn't work! He also said it would void my warranty. A warranty after 10 Years? Right.
Thanks folks, for all your suggestions and comments. Great forum

/ Mantis Tiller
Thanks but it's not the tank. Just a venting problem. Solved now

/ Mantis Tiller
Sorry- we kinda mixed two problems and equipment into one thread.
The main issue was the finicky Mantis.
Secondary was a cracked tank on a leaf blower.