Making the decision to buy a Ventrac

/ Making the decision to buy a Ventrac #21  
Hopefully this is the right forum to post this in, I am currently trying to decide between a compact tractor and a Ventrac. I own about 5 acres in a rural area. My land is mostly flat with a few steep bank areas I need to mow, but with a large area of wet field that I currently need to wait for a fairly dry stretch of time to bush hog. Usually I can usually do that once a year, although the past few years it has rained too much so it has been about 3 years since it got bush hogged. It is a mess right now. But this is the longest stretch it hasn't gotten mowed. A Ventrac could mow it just about anytime I think, and mow the rest of the property with a finish mower.

As far as I can tell the 2 largest differences for me between a CUT and a Ventrac are the CUT will still need to wait for the field to dry out before I mow it, and I will need to get another mower for the rest of the property. It isn't spread out enough to mow with a CUT and a finish mower, Even a Mid mount, mostly due to height. A good part of the property is a small orchard. A tractor couldn't mow that area for me. The Ventrac could mow all of my property but the bucket seems to be a stop gap because that is the biggest con people have with the Ventrac as a replacement tractor.

I do have some projects in mind for the property, a few out buildings, possibly another smaller pole barn ( has a large pole barn on site now) Every thing I read says having the bucket is a game changer and even though I can only think of a few things to use it on, it seems like those who have one feel once they have it they can't imagine not having it.

So anyone on here with experience owning/operating both what are you feelings about them? Have you gone from a CUT to a Ventrac and not looked back? Or did you end up going the other way? Ventrac is as expensive as a CUT so cost wise I think it is a fair comparison. I will need to buy a stand alone mower if I go with the CUT so cost wise the pendulum does swing a bit towards the Ventrac, I think. And a zero turn for most of my mowing would probably do better than a Ventrac anyway. And they are available used pretty reasonably. So for a zero turn I would go that route. Ventrac's are harder to come by used and usually aren't enough of a price difference to make sense to buy a used unit with no warranty vs a new unit.
I have 2 Ventracs — both 2007 vintage. One I bought new and is a diesel but not turbo. 26.5 HP. The other I bought used 2 years ago and is a turbo diesel 31.5hp. I love ‘em both. The Ventrac would be ideal for the property you describe. It does great on slopes and is much safer than a CUT. The Ventrac will float over mushy ground. The toughcut deck will replace a bush hog mower and go places the CUT can’t. On the first Ventrac I got the VersaLoader which will lift high enough to load a pickup. It’s a fairly expensive attachment that I use for mulch and have the optional mulch bucket which is about twice the capacity of the dirt bucket. It’s harder to put on and off than the other Ventrac attachments. On the turbo, I use a 72” finish mower. I’m interested in trying the new 72” flail mower. I think it may be even better than the toughcut deck. I also recently bought the power bucket which is low lift — basically a power wheelbarrow.

I also have an 8 yr old LS tractor — 33 HP hydro. I use that when a larger bucket is helpful and terrain allows. The Ventrac is much gentler on turf areas than the LS or any other CUT.

/ Making the decision to buy a Ventrac #22  
Have you looked at the versa loader option for the ventrac? It seems like that might bridge the gap for loader work that a SCUT could reasonably be expected to do. if I recall correctly, it's about 500lbs of lift capacity to 6 ft. No direct experience myself, but it is something I'm looking at for when I upgrade to a Ventrac myself.
I have a VersaLoader and have used it a lot, mostly for mulch. Unfortunately, they have never redesigned it and it has some flaws I’m sure they could fix. It has its own pump driven off the front pto and for some reason, it is very low to the ground. So it limits the terrain you can go over. It’s easy to get mulch dropping down to catch in the belt. Still, it’s been a useful tool since 2007

/ Making the decision to buy a Ventrac #23  
As. you get older things bother you more that didn't when you were young. I could plow all day never bothered me much, then ran dozer but the seats are set on an angle to help with looking back. Now at 77 looking back from the tractor seat is history, blind in my right eye doesn't help either... jim

/ Making the decision to buy a Ventrac #24  
I have a VersaLoader and have used it a lot, mostly for mulch. Unfortunately, they have never redesigned it and it has some flaws I’m sure they could fix. It has its own pump driven off the front pto and for some reason, it is very low to the ground. So it limits the terrain you can go over. It’s easy to get mulch dropping down to catch in the belt. Still, it’s been a useful tool since 2007

Good info. It seems rare to get feedback from someone who has actually owned the versa loader. A low mounted pump interfering with terrain is a shortcoming I hadn't considered!

/ Making the decision to buy a Ventrac #25  
It does great on slopes and is much safer than a CUT. The Ventrac will float over mushy ground. The toughcut deck will replace a bush hog mower and go places the CUT can’t.
A very good description why I have a ventrac.

In spring, I bush hog through an area that is marshy that time of year. Ventrac cuts and floats over it (dual wheel kit) whereas I could never go in there with a tractor.

I also cut steep slopes near my pond-- steep enough where I will only go up and down even with the dual wheel kit. And for mowing under/around the apple trees it is so much faster than a rotary cutter behind a tractor. I alternate forward / reverse a lot under the apple trees but I am never turning around to look behind me-- just adjusting and taking the next forward cut. That is, if I can't just turn right around the trunk-- the articulating pivot makes for a very tight turning radius.

/ Making the decision to buy a Ventrac #26  
So what is a true loader? they have articulated frame with up to 25 yard buckets??? A skid steer is a pos. on a hill, they are flat dangerous. They are made to work on the level, nothing steep...... jim

/ Making the decision to buy a Ventrac #27  
I also own two ventracs. I also own a John Deere 1445 series 2 with four wheel drive and dual wheel kit in the front with a Peruzzo flail mower in the front. Pto shaft driven. A kubota m7060 with an 8” flail mower for the rear. A Kubota l4400. I do mowing of weeds and grass commercially in San Diego and riverside county. Flail mowers are the best way to go in my experience. Ventracs are so fun and comfortable to operate on slopes and in tight spaces. But not a real powerhouse for anything. It’s strong suit is it’s versatility. I carry a blower, rake, stump grinder, grading blade grapple bucket and a 6’ flail mower on my 22’ trailer. It can do many things ok. Mow especially well. But dig, lift, rip, pull, not so much. I can make extra money n a mow job but I if it is a digging or Brush clearing job I take my bobcat s750 with a ABI sr3 rake and smooth and toothed bucket to do real damage fast. The flail mower does a great job on all types of grasses and leaves a great looking job with little to no windrowing. No finish mower needed. So I love my Ventrac for mowing and it’s my first choice for mowing and I have the chance to make some extra $$. If I only had my own acres to mow and few hills I would use a flail mower behind my compact tractor.

/ Making the decision to buy a Ventrac #28  
0C54281B-7600-4050-8738-CE0AD4F03178.jpeg
0C54281B-7600-4050-8738-CE0AD4F03178.jpeg

Attachments

• 7643AB65-F400-462C-A9B4-D2CC012DB411.jpeg
    7643AB65-F400-462C-A9B4-D2CC012DB411.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 110
  • CB52FBDF-CA37-40C6-B2E5-D7190C44BD32.jpeg
    CB52FBDF-CA37-40C6-B2E5-D7190C44BD32.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 121
  • 90CAC4ED-0056-4B58-8FD8-077385E5F1E8.jpeg
    90CAC4ED-0056-4B58-8FD8-077385E5F1E8.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 116
  • D4089C82-3FCC-459D-9E0F-35F36E80ECB2.jpeg
    D4089C82-3FCC-459D-9E0F-35F36E80ECB2.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 135
   / Making the decision to buy a Ventrac #29  
Just got a new 4520Z. I’ve been lusting after one for some time. Spent a couple hours on it today with the tough cut mower. Gotta say, I’m impressed. I’ve got a multitude of equipment, and I’ll be the first to say that each machine has it‘s limitations, but if i could only have one, the Ventrac would get heavy consideration. Love having the implements in the front. Much easier on the old neck and back. The controls are very intuitive and easy to use. I bought it primarily to maintain some steep hillsides on one of our properties, but I can see that just being the tip of the iceberg for its use. Love it so far.

/ Making the decision to buy a Ventrac #30  
I know about it, and I have watched some videos on it, however even the Ventrac employee who does their YouTube videos says it was basically a stop gap measure for the people who insisted they needed a loader. Apparently the basic structure of a Ventrac, the articulating frame, front axle etc isn't well suited to carry weight high like that. The hydraulics on the machine could power a much stronger loader, but the frame, etc of the Ventrac itself is the issue.

Hearing the guy from Ventrac explain it like that makes me think I should stay away from that, and just go with their low bucket option if I need that. But it isn't a substitute for a true loader on a Skid Steer or Normal farm tractor type machine.

So just trying to research for the guys who have had both how much they miss having the loader or if they miss it at all.

All big loaders are articulated, a skid steer is a joke will not work on a hill My old 422 Powertrac with the light material bucket will carry a 1/3 yard of modified stone heaped, that weighs 3000 lb. to the yard. I see all the cut tractors with a loader front they can only lift around 500 lb.Th e powertrac will bury them..... Jim

• Good Post
Reactions: Lnk