Making a 2166 able to mow in reverse?

/ Making a 2166 able to mow in reverse? #1  

JayC

Veteran Member
I was wondering, how would you disable the feature that stops the mower from mowing in reverse? It is really annoying and I don't want it to do that anymore. Also, it has to wear out the PTO parts starting and stopping all the time. The machine has about 94 hours on it. Can it be enabled again if it needs to go in for warranty work? I don't wanna kill the warranty. Any help is appreciated.

/ Making a 2166 able to mow in reverse? #3  
Oops, I see you already saw that thread...didn't you find anything to disconnect?

/ Making a 2166 able to mow in reverse?
Oops. I forgot all about that thread. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I was going to look for the switch after I read that thread but kept putting it off. After I reread that thread I went out and checked. Well, first here is what the suggestion was from that thread:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You didn't say what machine you have, but maybe most are the same.
Follow the reverse pedal rod through frame of tractor.
My switch was located above the rod on inside of frame.
You can look under the inside of the frame with a small hand mirror if your deck is attached.
The metal tab to push on the switch is very thin, can easily be bent to one side to miss the switch.
This way nothing has to be disconnected and is easily bent back in case you have to have warranty work done.
)</font>

I did as the suggestion said, but I didn't see the switch. I looked all over. What does the switch look like? Is it directly above the rod of the reverse pedal? Whereabouts would the switch be located under the frame? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Making a 2166 able to mow in reverse? #5  
JayC,
Lay on your left side by the deck. Put your right hand on the reverse pedal.
While looking up on the <font color="red"> </font> INSIDE of frame with a hand mirror, push on reverse pedal.
You'll see the rod move.
The switch is directly above the rod, and is in a vertical position. The metal tab is on the reverse rod and swings upward when you press on the reverse pedal.
Reach up from in front of the rod to bend metal tab to one side to miss switch.
It's not real easy to get to. I think they made it that way to keep people from messing with it.
I'm 6'3" with big hands, but I was able to do it.

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll have to check it sometime this weekend.

I finally got a chance to look at it. I didn't get one over the weekend. It rained the whole time. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif What does the metal tab look like? For the life of me I couldn't see it. Is it not on a 2166? Sometimes, when the reverse pedal wants to cooperate I figured out a little trick that works sometimes. If I press it down a little I can back up without the PTO stopping. But as I said sometimes it don't work.