Mahindra's newest 25 series tractors

/ Mahindra's newest 25 series tractors #1  

Keith_B

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4110
The two newest Mahindras, the 5525 and the 6025, look like a good deal for value priced machines. The 6025 has 49 PTO HP, making it about the right size for using on small haying operations, where a square baler will be used. These tractors are available in 2wd only with an 8X2 tranny.

/ Mahindra's newest 25 series tractors #2  
Keith, do you have any idea if Mahindra plans on offering a different tranny for this tractor? 8 forward gears isn't ideal for haying.

/ Mahindra's newest 25 series tractors #3  
Keith_B said:
The two newest Mahindras, the 5525 and the 6025, look like a good deal for value priced machines. The 6025 has 49 PTO HP, making it about the right size for using on small haying operations, where a square baler will be used. These tractors are available in 2wd only with an 8X2 tranny.

Based on the specs, it appears to be the 5500 and 6000 2WD drivetrains without some of the other stuff on those units. All the basic specs are identical to those two units. Not sure why the 8 speed won't be good for haying as first gear is really a granny. I'd surmise that you could cut/condition in 4th, bale in 3rd, and hightail it to the barn during a thunderstorm in 8th...BobG in VA

/ Mahindra's newest 25 series tractors #4  
Maybe I am gun-shy here, but before this erupts we should go ahead and agree that we have no idea if it would be good for haying or not without driving one. None of us have any clue how the gearing is set up and whether it would work or not at this point. So far we have one who thinks it will and one who does not think it will. Now if we can find someone to test one.....

/ Mahindra's newest 25 series tractors #5  
When it comes to haying the more gears the better. Depending on ground conditions, windrow conditions and baler condition the more forward gears available to fine tune the tractor and baler to the conditions the better. 8 forward gears will work but it is not ideal. I would want a minimum of 12 forward gears if it will be a considered a good hay tractor. I have never met anyone who complained about having too many gears on a baling tractor.

/ Mahindra's newest 25 series tractors #6  
rback33 said:
Maybe I am gun-shy here, but before this erupts we should go ahead and agree that we have no idea if it would be good for haying or not without driving one. None of us have any clue how the gearing is set up and whether it would work or not at this point. So far we have one who thinks it will and one who does not think it will. Now if we can find someone to test one.....

Why would this erupt? All I asked was if Mahindra planned on offering any other tranny choices.:confused:

/ Mahindra's newest 25 series tractors #7  
This is ridiculous.....The original poster asked about specific tractor...55 and 60 hp. Theyare only 2WD and have 8 forward/2 reverse gears. Sorry, that's the specs. I tried to answer the question that was asked. I've pulled a JD 336 with a '57 Farmall 230 (trans run PTO as well) with 4 forward/one reverse and got the job done. Thing is I don't have $1Million dollars to put into equipment, so I use what I have...The poster is apparently looking for a "small" haying job tractor. I do have a Mahindra 6000 4WD that has the 8speed shuttle...The 6025 WILL pull any square baler he wants to hook up to it easily as the gearing is wonderfully spaced in the low range for just such stuff. Oh yeah, that's personal experience. Also, personally, since its 98 degrees out today...why don't we optimally tell the poster he MUST has a cab with A/C. BobG in VA

/ Mahindra's newest 25 series tractors #8  
BobG_in_VA said:
This is ridiculous.....The original poster asked about specific tractor...55 and 60 hp. Theyare only 2WD and have 8 forward/2 reverse gears. Sorry, that's the specs. I tried to answer the question that was asked. I've pulled a JD 336 with a '57 Farmall 230 (trans run PTO as well) with 4 forward/one reverse and got the job done. Thing is I don't have $1Million dollars to put into equipment, so I use what I have...The poster is apparently looking for a "small" haying job tractor. I do have a Mahindra 6000 4WD that has the 8speed shuttle...The 6025 WILL pull any square baler he wants to hook up to it easily as the gearing is wonderfully spaced in the low range for just such stuff. Oh yeah, that's personal experience. Also, personally, since its 98 degrees out today...why don't we optimally tell the poster he MUST has a cab with A/C. BobG in VA

?????:confused: ???????

So does this rant mean that Mahindra isn't going to offer any other transmissions other then the 8x2 now or in the future on this model?

Also, the OP didn't ask about anything. He made post telling other posters (like myself) about a new Mahindra model. He also made mention of a potential use of this tractor that I have personal experience with and I politely inquired if this new model would have any other tranny options that would make the tractor even better suited for haying. So what is so ridiculous and what does a cab tractor with AC have to do with my question or this thread?

Just some of my personal experience, I have pulled a New Holland 575 baler with a TN 65 with the 8x8 tranny, a TL 100A with a 12x12 tranny and a Ford 7710-II with a 16x4 tranny. From my personal experience and from talking to a lot of other guys who bale hay the more gears the better when it comes to haying.

/ Mahindra's newest 25 series tractors #9  
Robert_in_NY said:
When it comes to haying the more gears the better. Depending on ground conditions, windrow conditions and baler condition the more forward gears available to fine tune the tractor and baler to the conditions the better. 8 forward gears will work but it is not ideal. I would want a minimum of 12 forward gears if it will be a considered a good hay tractor. I have never met anyone who complained about having too many gears on a baling tractor.

I can agree to a point. Generally, you can not have too many. As far as truck trannies go I prefer a 13. Some like 18's. Others swear by Super 10's. I don't think 10 is enough and 18 is too many. Whether 8 gears is good enough still comes down to the operators opinion. There is no doubt 8 would work. As far as that goes, if the machine starts to lug because you are stuffing the baler faster than it can bale, drop a hole. Sure, it may seem TOO slow and you may want a "tweener" gear, but it is what it is. It may work perfect for Bob, and not for you. My parents have baled for decades with a Ford Jubilee. I would LOVE 8 forward gears.

And Robert.... do you really HAVE to ask why it might erupt? ;) :eek:

/ Mahindra's newest 25 series tractors #10  
rback33 said:
I can agree to a point. Generally, you can not have too many. As far as truck trannies go I prefer a 13. Some like 18's. Others swear by Super 10's. I don't think 10 is enough and 18 is too many. Whether 8 gears is good enough still comes down to the operators opinion. There is no doubt 8 would work. As far as that goes, if the machine starts to lug because you are stuffing the baler faster than it can bale, drop a hole. Sure, it may seem TOO slow and you may want a "tweener" gear, but it is what it is. It may work perfect for Bob, and not for you. My parents have baled for decades with a Ford Jubilee. I would LOVE 8 forward gears.

And Robert.... do you really HAVE to ask why it might erupt? ;) :eek:

All I was asking was if they planned on offering another tranny option. It was a simple question and for the life of me I can not see why that question would cause any uproar? Ideally a pure haying tractor would have a hydro tranny even though I am not fond of them for too much other then mowing and baling.

Is Mahindra marketing this tractor for the small hay operations or Keith did you just use the baling tractor as an example? I guess that is what is tossing me some because if Mahindra is marketing this as a baling tractor then I would imagine they would eventually offer another tranny. Or is this tractor like the New Holland TT series where it is just a plain old simple no frills tractor to keep the price down?