Mahindra purchase

/ Mahindra purchase #51  
LAWALLSTRACTOR said:
Doug Just a quick sugestion. Keep the 4WD linkages lubed well and in good working order so as to keep your gears fully engaged or disengaged. Some of the problems have come from rusty linkage and forcing the shifter bends some of the linkage causing the 4WD to not be fully engaged or disengaged. Talk to you again got to get back to it. busy busy busy!
Thanks Galen. Yeah, I've got to get under there and do that. I've gone out of my way not to force or break anything. Little good ever comes of that approach and you can see how that longest linkage (in particular) could easily become bent. Thanks for the tip! :)

Dougster

/ Mahindra purchase #52  
jeff77indy said:
They like the looks of the 4110 but keep pushing me to consider a main line manufacturer because of not knowing about dealer service after the sale.
A comparable DX40 Farmall or TC40 New Holland maybe out of my price range, plus I really like the looks and feel of the 4110.
I trust the dealer, but their questioning this subject has me second guessing myself.

I have had my 4110 for two years and have not had to have any dealer work done.

I can tell you that the 4110 is beefier than the DX and TC40 models. It is heavier and just plain physically larger. I have R1 tires on my 4110 and it is pretty good about getting traction. The Mahindras can have the R1 tires mounted for the same price.

/ Mahindra purchase #53  
Dougster said:
I've long suspected that my own 4WD shift linkage is not installed or adjusted properly. It's very hard to impossible to shift back into 2WD. Fortunately, 99% of what I do calls for 4WD anyway... so I've just left it alone for later investigation & attention. But now it sounds like I could be doing some serious and costly damage to the 4110 by ignoring this issue. :eek:

Dougster

Doug, try putting the tractor in reverse when it doesn't shift into 2WD easily and backing up a few feet. It should then shift out of 4WD easier. I do this whenever my tractor won't easily shift out of 4WD and it always helps.

This is a technique that has been used on 4WD vehicles and tractors for decades to either shift them out of 4WD or to make sure that the gears are released and the machine is out of 4WD. A truck I used to have even had a line in the manual about backing up about 20 feet after shifting out of 4WD to make sure it is out of 4WD.

My Mahindra dealer even told me to back my 4110 up a few feet after shifting out of 4WD to make sure the 4WD is fully disengaged.

/ Mahindra purchase #54  
Keith_B said:
Doug, try putting the tractor in reverse when it doesn't shift into 2WD easily and backing up a few feet. It should then shift out of 4WD easier. I do this whenever my tractor won't easily shift out of 4WD and it always helps.

This is a technique that has been used on 4WD vehicles and tractors for decades to either shift them out of 4WD or to make sure that the gears are released and the machine is out of 4WD. A truck I used to have even had a line in the manual about backing up about 20 feet after shifting out of 4WD to make sure it is out of 4WD.

My Mahindra dealer even told me to back my 4110 up a few feet after shifting out of 4WD to make sure the 4WD is fully disengaged.
Thanks very much Keith. :) I'll give it a shot once I lube and free up the linkage like Galen said and after this freakin' weekend rain ends!!! :rolleyes:

As I mentioned earlier, there are lots of posts for lots of brands here in the archives with tips and tricks on this very topic. I should have made a list of them all so I could try them one at a time! :D But the bigger issue may be the potential damage in 2WD that Marcel experienced and I think Skip too. It's not so much that I can't get it into 2WD as needing to convince myself that I can do so without damaging anything. Since I don't ever use 2WD, the thought of risking damage and down time in this critical business period simply to see if I can do it is probably not the very smartest of ideas. ;)

Dougster

/ Mahindra purchase #55  
Dougster said:
Thanks very much Keith. :) I'll give it a shot once I lube and free up the linkage like Galen said and after this freakin' weekend rain ends!!! :rolleyes:

As I mentioned earlier, there are lots of posts for lots of brands here in the archives with tips and tricks on this very topic. I should have made a list of them all so I could try them one at a time! :D But the bigger issue may be the potential damage in 2WD that Marcel experienced and I think Skip too. It's not so much that I can't get it into 2WD as needing to convince myself that I can do so without damaging anything. Since I don't ever use 2WD, the thought of risking damage and down time in this critical business period simply to see if I can do it is probably not the very smartest of ideas. ;)

Dougster

I know what you mean about concern for damage. I am very careful about not putting too much pressure on the shifter for fear of bending something. If I start to take my 4110 out of 4WD and it doesn't easily move into 2WD I back it up a couple of feet and it easily slides into 2WD. For some reason it seems to alway shift easily into 4WD.

/ Mahindra purchase #56  
Keith_B said:
I know what you mean about concern for damage. I am very careful about not putting too much pressure on the shifter for fear of bending something. If I start to take my 4110 out of 4WD and it doesn't easily move into 2WD I back it up a couple of feet and it easily slides into 2WD. For some reason it seems to alway shift easily into 4WD.
I wish there was some way you could know for sure that you were "free and clear" into 2WD safely and without any pending damage... other than listening for grinding metal! :eek:

Dougster

/ Mahindra purchase #57  
Dougster said:
I wish there was some way you could know for sure that you were "free and clear" into 2WD safely and without any pending damage... other than listening for grinding metal! :eek:

Dougster

I was thinking the same thing last weekend, when I shifted mine in and out of 4WD several times. Even some kind of light when you have 4WD fully engaged and disengaged would be great.

/ Mahindra purchase #58  
Keith_B said:
I was thinking the same thing last weekend, when I shifted mine in and out of 4WD several times. Even some kind of light when you have 4WD fully engaged and disengaged would be great.
Exactly what I was thinking... one LED for 2WD and one for 4WD. :)

Future Mahindra improvement concept courtesy of Keith and Dougster! :D

Dougster

/ Mahindra purchase #59  
Keith_B said:

I shift my 2810HST in and out of 4wd all the time. For some reason, I've always put it in 4wd only when needed, then back out. I wonder if they are of the same design, just on a different scale? I've noticed, as mentioned, it goes in easier than out. Straighten the front out, back up a little, and it comes out of 4wd fairly easily.

/ Mahindra purchase #60  
shvl73 said:
I shift my 2810HST in and out of 4wd all the time. For some reason, I've always put it in 4wd only when needed, then back out. I wonder if they are of the same design, just on a different scale? I've noticed, as mentioned, it goes in easier than out. Straighten the front out, back up a little, and it comes out of 4wd fairly easily.
I'll bet exercising it as much as you do is actually a good thing. Half (or more?) of my problem... beside maybe a little linkage corrosion and a lack of lube... is that I'm probably just not very good at it! :rolleyes:

Dougster