Mahindra dies after turning it on its side

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #61  
All you guys are suggesting hydrolock while ignoring the fact that it ran for a short while, meaning all cylinders operated normally and cranked over just fine. And it still cranks, just doesn't stay running.

Probably as simple as air in the fuel system, is my vote.
Could have pulled a large slug of oil ( especially if there is any type of PCV in place) that leaked and was trapped in the intake manifold.

Maybe a possibility?

Once the vacuum increased as the engine ran?

Oil trapped from being on its side?

More info, some tests, and an update from the OP needed

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #62  
my point is this is not relevant to this conversation, his battery needs to be good for the fuel rack to operate. talking about a 100 year old tractor helps no one here
But of course, it is smart to make sure that the battery is charged and indeed also has acid inside after it pulls the starter motor with ease but apparently, when then the engine starts running there might not be enough electricity coming from the battery and the alternator combined to supply what you call the fuel rack, which then kills the engine. Really stupid that I never thought of that.

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #63  
Update????

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #64  
my LS tipped and would not start. Finally I opened the oil filler plug and heard a hiss, like it relieved pressure. It started right up, and has run fine since

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #65  
Thank you, BO- I am thinking, since there weren't any loud or smashing noises that I might be ok with not bending or throwing a rod. I haven't removed the glow plugs yet. I will try that and also see if I can bleed any air out of the fuel system.

There aren't any noises when you bend a rod. It just turns over slow once and damage is done.

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side
Gents, thank you for all of the feedback. When I tipped the tractor, fluids came out and poured onto the ground around me. My assumption was I lost all of my oil and was afraid I had oil around the glow plugs. So, after letting the tractor sit for a day- I refilled the oil. Turns out I put way too much oil in (a gallon) and it was not allowing the engine to turn over. I drained the oil to about 2 quarts remaining and the engine fired right up. I haven’t had any problems since.

I was told that a small tractor like mine would not produce enough pressure to bend or throw a rod but that is just what I was told.

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #67  
I don,t know much about your specific tractor, but before trying to turn it over again, remove the injectors, or spark plugs, cause it might be you have fuel or oil above the top of the pistons, and you cannot compress that, so your engine will not turn over. Hopefully you didn,t bend any rods already. Once you have removed all the injectors or plugs, try turning the engine over and see if it will spin.
That's what I was thinking, mine did much the same after I turned over...

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #68  
Gents, thank you for all of the feedback. When I tipped the tractor, fluids came out and poured onto the ground around me. My assumption was I lost all of my oil and was afraid I had oil around the glow plugs. So, after letting the tractor sit for a day- I refilled the oil. Turns out I put way too much oil in (a gallon) and it was not allowing the engine to turn over. I drained the oil to about 2 quarts remaining and the engine fired right up. I haven’t had any problems since.

I was told that a small tractor like mine would not produce enough pressure to bend or throw a rod but that is just what I was told.

Huh, so if I'm understanding correctly it was in fact hydrolocked, but on the bottom end? Interesting.

Glad it was a simple fix for you!

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #69  

Thanks for posting the solution to your problem. So many folks do not and this hurts the community of folks trying to help other folks. A silly thing like adding too much oil to the crankcase could be a problem that nobody would think of. I certainly would not think that an overfilled crankcase would cause the problem you had, but then I bought my first diesel tractor less than 1 year ago. And I am not unique in this regard. There are many posts from novice diesel tractor owners on this site.
Cheers,
Eric

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #70  
Here is a good video showing what steps to do after a machine rolls over.